Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MOE-LESTER

MYTHBUSTER: Can a bullet be fired or explode without a firing pin?

i had some extra bullets from a recent foray at the range, and gave one of them to my little cousin as a souvenier. He asked me a question i could not answer, and could not find answers for.

He seems to think that a bullet can explode or be fired if the small firing cap on the back is punctured or broken. He was joking that if he stabbed the small cap on the back with a knife that it would explode and fire. Or if you dropped a bullet off a very tall building, it would explode on impact.

So i want to know this, if anyone here is a hardcore gun slinger or knows whats up, please let me know. Links to websites or shit like that are appreciated.

the bullets i have are FMJ .40 SW shells

Damion M. Mosher, who put bullets in a vise and whacked them with a hammer to empty the brass shell casings, was hit in the abdomen by one of the shots, authorities said.

back when i was like 14 we used to all do this around our block, we would tape rocks on the back of the bullet and then ride down the street on our bikes and drop them on the road rock side facing down. yes this does work, very risky, but back in the day we had alot of fun with that shit.

It can happen. It doesn't take much to make a old round go off. For the most part they are safe, but start acting like a jackass with them and you will win a darwin award.

my neighbor and i used to shot the back of shells with our bb guns, it works. not accurate or safe by any means.

every heard the expression..

"bite the bullet"

you should just shoot your cousin, get it over with faster..

is he troubled?

maybe he is on some Seung-Hui Cho shit..

160px-Cho_Seung-hui_3.jpg

back when i was like 14 we used to all do this around our block, we would tape rocks on the back of the bullet and then ride down the street on our bikes and drop them on the road rock side facing down. yes this does work, very risky, but back in the day we had alot of fun with that shit.

this sounds like the most dangerous thing on the entire planet.

i had some extra bullets from a recent foray at the range, and gave one of them to my little cousin as a souvenier.

Yup...

sounds like it would work because it would come down fast and the ass end of the bullet would slam against the ground.

well, think about it, all a revolver does is smack the back of a shell with the hammer - why wouldnt it work?

i think if you douse a bunch of bullets in a fuel and flames they will eventually start firing randomly.

Myth busters did an episode on this.

According to Shoot Em' Up, which is a pretty realistic movie, it works.

i was just watching that movie an hour ago but after i realized that the baby was an integral part of the film i just stopped

im not trying to see a movie about all that

bullets in movies sound so fake...the commercials for shoot em up look like they are playing with toy guns and blast caps. even a 9mm makes a pretty loud pop..

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now