Official 12oontz Music Producer Exchange

T4M*

21 hours ago, LUGR said:

@T4M*So, new needles arrived. Sound pretty sweet. I now need to adjust these.

523D2F40-2029-4709-AA76-32E0F6A23A3B.thumb.jpeg.842b048bf86ae1feaf4d267f57a04f4d.jpeg

I have never previously adjust them…..(I know, I know total noob) I had to lighten them up to pull the new needles from dragging on the record. Is there a sweet spot I should go for? Just hovering over the record? I didn’t see any direction for weight settings on the cartridge or case. New speakers are en route!

The cart didn't come with a "Tracking Force " number? That's for the big wheel.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
2 hours ago, T4M* said:

The cart didn't come with a "Tracking Force " number? That's for the big wheel.

I’ll check again. I backed the weight off and they seem to play fine with no drag and without skating. But might be a little too high off the record.

• Like 1

Interesting, I am not sure what the issue maybe.  Wonder if the big March update we are about to receive may clear things up.

By any chance have you tried the desktop site ticked under you browser options and see if that may clear the error?

@T4M*If I set channel 1 (left turntable) and channel 3 (right turntable) to the exact same volume and EQ settings in my mixer. Channel 1 is always louder. I can adjust this on the fly, but is there a reason for this? Or anything that can be done to calibrate these to be closer?

Does Turntable #1 have the new needle? Switch them to see if it's that.

Switch your RCA cables also to see if it's the cables. You should have 4 sets running.

If channel one is still higher in volume, your other channels might be dirty. Worst case scenario is replacing knobs or new mixer.

@LUGR

• Like 1

I'm sure you are not getting any static noise,  but wanted to share this to add knowledge and who knows, may work or not.

This still relates to "Signal" issues. Somewhere in your system is lowering volume, we have to find it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, T4M* said:

Does Turntable #1 have the new needle? Switch them to see if it's that.

Switch your RCA cables also to see if it's the cables. You should have 4 sets running.

If channel one is still higher in volume, your other channels might be dirty. Worst case scenario is replacing knobs or new mixer.

@LUGR

I replaced both needles. I’ll try troubleshooting through the rest of the stuff you mentioned. Thanks for the guidance.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2024 at 5:05 PM, KILZ FILLZ said:

Bought my mixer today. Guitar center had a used Xone 23 I copped at $299 @T4M*

Cant pick up til 4/7 due to some California pawn shop law though 

IMG_7240.webp

@T4M*So, on this mixer, I see the “cue” and “filter” buttons which my mixer does not have. How does the “cue” button function with the record and turntables? Filter I assume applies filter to change the sound of the record? Definitely looks to have more functions than mine. Looks like @KILZ FILLZgot it for a good price too.

4 hours ago, LUGR said:

@T4M*So, on this mixer, I see the “cue” and “filter” butt

Nah, cue button is for third party stuff. The filter is a live unit that works for vinyls and other music sources. Mixer also has the ability to add FX from another unit and control it on the mixer.

Xone 23 is a great mixer for mixing. The audio is amazing, output is amazing and packs a punch.

Scratching not so much, but he can upgrade the crossfader.

56 minutes ago, IrishCarBombs said:

Recently came into a lot of about 30 cds from the 90s that came with this magazine. https://www.discogs.com/label/10596-Future-Music-Magazine?page=1

if anyone is interested when i get around to ripping the regular tracks, i can rip all the equipment demos/samples to share.

When ever, I would like the following copies please :

Screenshot_20240323_150607_Firefox.jpg.8eed9e2d1a0f36af2effe85b3d5a55a7.jpg

Screenshot_20240323_150645_Firefox.jpg.92764dfe29af0f2e08e4d9fe4333c6b2.jpg

Screenshot_20240323_150814_Firefox.jpg.c2a094997f591e5e2358de167aa4b9b3.jpg

Thank you in advance.

Edited by T4M*
  • Like 1

On 3/18/2024 at 4:55 AM, T4M* said:

The quick fix is lowering the gain on channel one. You probably have a signal discrepancy. Also use the same record for your tests.

Okay, so back to this.

Been messing around with it and it seems to be different records playing at different levels. I assume they have variations to output. Is this normal? Should it just be corrected with gain and volume when bringing in the track and try to match as close as possible?

1 hour ago, LUGR said:

Okay, so back to this.

Been messing around with it and it seems to be different records playing at different levels. I assume they have variations to output. Is this normal? Should it just be corrected with gain and volume when bringing in the track and try to match as close as possible?

The guy mixing in the video above, you will notice he is using the volume knobs for mixing instead of the crossfader.  I'm assuming the gains are set pretty high,  but balanced to where I noticed that the volume knobs were only turned up half way.

I don't have a lot of experience with vinyl sound quality,  but I do know that in the digital world, most apps have a "Volume Match" Filter to avoid messing with trim levels.

So, if you do have volume variations, turn your mixer gains up and mix with the Volume knobs. Set your crossfader in the middle, or turn on the "Scratching" knob (the flat line for cuts).

• Props 1

On 2/28/2024 at 3:03 AM, T4M* said:

️ Cue Points

-Your cue point has to be released at the right time with the right Beat Bar (Beat Bar is the part you clap to, 1......2.....3......4...1...2....3....4.) A fool-proof way to always be on point with your cues, cue your sample , than cue it back 2️⃣ or 4️⃣ beat bars (same sample) release it at the 7th or 5th bar, (hip hip is usually 1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...1...2...3...4...5...4...6..7..8...), quickly fix the timing, and when Bar 1 starts to come in, move the crossfader to the middle.  (This prevents you from releasing the record when the time comes. You release the record sooner behind doors and fix the timing, giving you the cleanest Blend, Transition,  and Mix)

️  E Q 

- Any time you cut a Frequency and mix the two tracks together, you are Blending the tracks to sound as one. Some tracks already sound the same, less work needed. When songs sound the same, it all sounds as 1 mix and continuous. To transition to a new set or new Mix, the bass knob is used for the transitioning (easiest way to transition)

️Music Key

🎶

Finally had some time to circle back on some of this stuff and start to dig in.

So, on the cue points, I have a basic knowledge/understanding of the timing and beat bars etc. I normally adjust tempo and match to the snare and release on the snare when mixing.

Are you saying to release on a beat bar prior to the snare hit? So, match to the snare to synch tempo and then bring it back and cue it it up to beat bar before the snare that will then play synched when the snare hits? Or am I misunderstanding?

How To Cue With Vinyls (Two Scenarios)

Screenshot_20240325_045742_Firefox.jpg.dc9f6ef9ce51fe09aa5ab553a62ab6fb.jpg

Scenario 1 (Releasing Track On The Mark)

* There is tracks that will have an intro, and right after, the beat drops.  To have a continuous mix, you have to set CUE POINTS . Here is a diagram of what that looks like when setting a cue point for Turntable #2 :

line1.thumb.jpg.441d4db1e9eba31b7756205baad48b44.jpg

* The Red line represents when to release the track

* The Yellow line represents the Mark (the mark consists of moving the crossfader towards the middle. If using volume knobs to mix, the mark consists of turning up the volume on Turntable #2)

* When the beat drops, set your cue point at beat counter #1

* After setting your cue point, begin to match the TEMPO from Turntable #1

-Now that you have Turntable #2 ready to go, it's time to release the vinyl. For this scenario, we are going to release Track #2 during the OUTRO of Track #1 (before the outro, we are going use a track that has chorus)

-Track #1 looks like this:

line2.thumb.jpg.6d6ec6311ddcc0240b52e15d5745661e.jpg

-Here is a diagram of what everything looks like together :

line3.jpg.07a4d45a604a3c3f61e11c4db6100d7f.jpg

* With this method, you have two options on how to initiate the moves during the Mark

* When you have Track #2 ready to go (TEMPO and CUE POINT), Option 1 is to release the vinyl on the Mark and than move the crossfader to the middle

* When you have Track #2 ready to go (TEMPO and CUE POINT), Option 2 is having the crossfader in the middle, and than release Track #2

* If using Volume knobs, the idea is still the same

* Because Track #1 is playing during the OUTRO phase, the song will fade out on its own or end at some point of time

* Once Track #1 is finished, move crossfader all the way to the right (Volume knob #1 needs to be lowered all the way, Volume #2 needs be all the way up

Scenario 2 (Releasing Track Before The Mark)

-Here is a diagram of what that looks like :

linefinal.jpg.9f02be8c21d0cd553924e78726f20295.jpg

* Once you find CUE 1, rewind back 4 beat counters, and find CUE 2

* Once you find CUE 2, this new CUE POINT has to be released 4 Beat Counters before the Mark

* You can rewind as far back as you like, as long as the beat counters match up

* When you match the beat counters and have the right TEMPO, your snares or instruments will match automatically

* Matching snares from both tracks is only a TOOL to guide you towards beat matching (having both tracks play at the same speed aka TEMPO)

* At the end of the day, your beat counters has to match and TEMPO

@LUGR

Edited by T4M*
  • Props 1

@T4M*

Here is an example of what I am doing/practicing. Never mixed these two songs together before tonight. This is recorded after I matched the tempos….so this is definitely not live on the fly. Mixing the bass EQ’s with the nobs instead of the kill switches.Recording doesn’t sound great, need to figure out a better set up for that.

Let me know what you think and any recommendations you have.

I think I rushed it a bit and could have waited a little bit longer before matching the beats so the vocals would have started a little bit later in the first songs outro. Overall I really like the mix though.

I did some of your scratch lessons last night and messed with that again earlier. If you ever make another video. Light up those hands! Wish I could see the mixer a little better.

• Props 1

Ayyye! First Mix is on point and that's what we are after, clean transition.  No one at the parties will hear your clicking noise so smash on!

Second mix, it almost felt a little too quick on cutting the track, but everything is matching up! Great job!

Yeah my man, you got it. Blend more tracks to built up your library of mixes.

Here is a challenge:

Blend in 5 tracks in under 2 minutes or so and have fun with it. This will improve your speed towards switching vinyls and cueing.

@LUGR

Edited by T4M*
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, T4M* said:

Ayyye! First Mix is on point and that's what we are after, clean transition.  No one at the parties will hear your clicking noise so smash on!

Second mix, it almost felt a little too quick on cutting the track, but everything is matching up! Great job!

Yeah my man, you got it. Blend more tracks to built up your library of mixes.

Here is a challenge:

Blend in 5 tracks in under 2 minutes or so and have fun with it. This will improve your speed towards switching vinyls and cueing.

Thanks for the feedback.

I’ll work on the second mix and see if I can mellow the transition out. I could definitely let the first track ride a bit with the trumpet…. but in the moment it’s seemed like a good move to switch it over.

I’ll try that exercise and practice it to get with the quickness.

I have just been grabbing random records and working on blending them for a challenge.

This is what I was just messing with….had to max out the extremes on both ends of the tempo distorting E40’s voice, so not something I would ever do beyond a practice exercise. But I do dig the overall blend.

• Truth 1

2 hours ago, ndv said:

That does sound on point. 

@LUGR so I am taking you are playing around with mixing jazz and 80s rap?   

I like experimenting, so that's why I ask. 

Yeah, just experimenting and having fun with records I have on hand and trying to make things work and get better. No real focus on specific genres, just grabbing records and trying to explore them/get to know them better. Goal is to be able to find a handful of these individual mixes I can sequence together and learn some other mixing techniques along the way.

• Like 1

Just now, LUGR said:

Yeah, just experimenting and having fun with records I have on hand and trying to make things work and get better. No real focus on specific genres, just grabbing records and trying to explore them/get to know them better. Goal is to be able to find a handful of these individual mixes I can sequence together and learn some other mixing techniques along the way.

That's what's up.  I find it fun, the challeging part is creating a Mashup that actually sounds good, specially to the audience.  

Once you fine tune it, it's no different say an artist painting a picture their way, or better anology, would be a chef preparing you a meal how they think it should be intended.  

I am sure there are plenty of great mashups but DJs from Mars have pretty inspiring mashups that will get the blood and creativity flowing. 

You can hear everything in T4M*s recent post explaining timing.

Created during covid. 

• Like 2

That's the direction I'm leading @LUGR  towards to (mash ups). It still can be done on vinyls, just requires a few new skills and patience. By having him mash 5 tracks in a small window, it will expand his way of thinking and start to have a better memory towards the tracks he plays.

The mash up that @ndv posted is pretty dope and very easy to do in the digital world of DJ. Programs will tell you what key each track is set, so if you have a large library,  you will see matching tracks and easy to bring them in to mix. I supported these box heads when they came out and went to their shows. Pretty dope to see they still out there mixing it up.

Me, back in the day, mash ups were called "DJ Intro". You would mash up a bunch of songs, letting the audience know what songs to expect. Hella dope when trying to catch the attention of all your audience.  Younger crowds like a full length of mashups, but as an experience DJ, it all depends on your crowd. Us older cats love music a little different than other folks, my crowd still appreciates mixes where most of the songs are played to their full potential. Today I  only smash in the beginning, and end it with a smash drop.

• Like 1
  • Props 1

Mashups on vinyl definitely takes far more skill than preloading your mp3.  Analog vs. digital.  Most opt for the easy route, but head to head Vinyl Dj vs. Digital DJ mashup comp.  Vinyl will probably win most of the time.  To the young crowd, vinyl is a lost art.

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

#supportyourlocalDJ

That reminds me, back in the day my bro was friends with this dude who went on to found and be in The Glitch Mobb. Hung out with him a bunch when I was visiting one summer, real cool dude. He gave me his mix cd, which in all honesty I remember being weak. But dude stuck with it and made it happen. Glitch hop is definitely not my cup of tea though.

• Like 2