Official 12oontz Music Producer Exchange

T4M*

Transition the posts over to the oontz thread. (And this one)

@LUGR 

(Delete) (New post incoming)

Back in the day, I was recording my vinyl mixes on VHS and Cassettes. When doing it the first time, I noticed that my mistakes were recorded during playback lol After knowing this, my mixes needed to be on point and have everything ready.

🌟 Dj @LUGR 🌟

⚠️From a scale of 1 to 10, I rate you a 7️⃣ (goes to 8️⃣ if you cue your music)

️Your Skill Critique

✔️By matching instruments,  you are able to multi task sounds in your head and on the spot, awesome talent to have. You are pretty far in the game and you are ready to do more. Great work.

✔️By using the EQ in your mixes, you went beyond the limits of mixing and you understand the basics of music theory. Keep experimenting. Many more combos you can do with the equipment you have.

✔️Overall, you got skill for mixing and ahead of a lot people. Your next step is understanding Scratching and using it to bring in the new song.

🌐 How to make Clean Mixes 🌐

️ Cue Points

-Some audience like hearing the songs from start to finish. When mixing, BPM has to match and Beat Bars have to match as well. There isn't much creativity going on here, just jamming out and stretching the day with less songs.

-When you cue your music, and bring it in to make everything sound like one song, it's called Blending.

-Your cue point has to be released at the right time with the right Beat Bar (Beat Bar is the part you clap to, 1......2.....3......4...1...2....3....4.) A fool-proof way to always be on point with your cues, cue your sample , than cue it back 2️⃣ or 4️⃣ beat bars (same sample) release it at the 7th or 5th bar, (hip hip is usually 1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...1...2...3...4...5...4...6..7..8...), quickly fix the timing, and when Bar 1 starts to come in, move the crossfader to the middle.  (This prevents you from releasing the record when the time comes. You release the record sooner behind doors and fix the timing, giving you the cleanest Blend, Transition,  and Mix)

️  E Q 

- Any time you cut a Frequency and mix the two tracks together, you are Blending the tracks to sound as one. Some tracks already sound the same, less work needed. When songs sound the same, it all sounds as 1 mix and continuous. To transition to a new set or new Mix, the bass knob is used for the transitioning (easiest way to transition)

- The Bass knob has the power to change the vibe of the party. If you blend songs together that sounds the same, and you fade the bass in and out, essentially you are being creative. Songs that don't sound the same, fading the bass will change the tone. Changing tones every song you bring in is not a good mix, it's more of a Playlist being mixed.

- All the EQ knobs can be teamed up to create a "Frequency Filter". By lowering the Bass And Mid, and keeping the Hi in the middle, you created a "High Pass Filter". When you lower the High and Mid, keeping bass in middle, this is a "Low Pass Filter".

- By fading two EQ Knobs and than hiring the remaining knob, this is called a "Filter Sweep". Try this when bringing in the tracks, or fading out the tracks.

-Volume knobs being moved up and down at a constant speed will create a "Gate" effect. Your Line/phone knob can create a cleaner Gate effect when flickered from left to right.  The crossfader with the Flat Slope on, also does this effect.

️Music Key

Every song is set to a Key (Piano Keys). By being on the same key, the songs will be easier to mix/blend. This is difficult to determine by ear if you don't know Music Theory. It is worth pointing out to look at tracks with a different perspective,  instead of trying to match tracks by bass, instruments,  etc.

🎶Overall 🎶

What you are doing is pretty much all you can do with your equipment. Your EQ and Scratching would be the next thing to do to expand your experience.  Letting go of the record at the right time with the right BPM will take practice. Cueing up your tracks and playing them before the mark will give you the cleanest mixes.

️Sidenote:

A lot of this is hard to explain in txt, hope I did my best. I currently sold my gear to eventually get something else. Any explanation needed can be demonstrated via video, going to take time to create.

Edited by T4M*
  • Props 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
On 2/28/2024 at 3:03 AM, T4M* said:

Transition the posts over to the oontz thread. (And this one)

@LUGR 

(Delete) (New post incoming)

Back in the day, I was recording my vinyl mixes on VHS and Cassettes. When doing it the first time, I noticed that my mistakes were recorded during playback lol After knowing this, my mixes needed to be on point and have everything ready.

🌟 Dj @LUGR 🌟

⚠️From a scale of 1 to 10, I rate you a 7️⃣ (goes to 8️⃣ if you cue your music)

️Your Skill Critique

✔️By matching instruments,  you are able to multi task sounds in your head and on the spot, awesome talent to have. You are pretty far in the game and you are ready to do more. Great work.

✔️By using the EQ in your mixes, you went beyond the limits of mixing and you understand the basics of music theory. Keep experimenting. Many more combos you can do with the equipment you have.

✔️Overall, you got skill for mixing and ahead of a lot people. Your next step is understanding Scratching and using it to bring in the new song.

🌐 How to make Clean Mixes 🌐

️ Cue Points

-Some audience like hearing the songs from start to finish. When mixing, BPM has to match and Beat Bars have to match as well. There isn't much creativity going on here, just jamming out and stretching the day with less songs.

-When you cue your music, and bring it in to make everything sound like one song, it's called Blending.

-Your cue point has to be released at the right time with the right Beat Bar (Beat Bar is the part you clap to, 1......2.....3......4...1...2....3....4.) A fool-proof way to always be on point with your cues, cue your sample , than cue it back 2️⃣ or 4️⃣ beat bars (same sample) release it at the 7th or 5th bar, (hip hip is usually 1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...1...2...3...4...5...4...6..7..8...), quickly fix the timing, and when Bar 1 starts to come in, move the crossfader to the middle.  (This prevents you from releasing the record when the time comes. You release the record sooner behind doors and fix the timing, giving you the cleanest Blend, Transition,  and Mix)

️  E Q 

- Any time you cut a Frequency and mix the two tracks together, you are Blending the tracks to sound as one. Some tracks already sound the same, less work needed. When songs sound the same, it all sounds as 1 mix and continuous. To transition to a new set or new Mix, the bass knob is used for the transitioning (easiest way to transition)

- The Bass knob has the power to change the vibe of the party. If you blend songs together that sounds the same, and you fade the bass in and out, essentially you are being creative. Songs that don't sound the same, fading the bass will change the tone. Changing tones every song you bring in is not a good mix, it's more of a Playlist being mixed.

- All the EQ knobs can be teamed up to create a "Frequency Filter". By lowering the Bass And Mid, and keeping the Hi in the middle, you created a "High Pass Filter". When you lower the High and Mid, keeping bass in middle, this is a "Low Pass Filter".

- By fading two EQ Knobs and than hiring the remaining knob, this is called a "Filter Sweep". Try this when bringing in the tracks, or fading out the tracks.

-Volume knobs being moved up and down at a constant speed will create a "Gate" effect. Your Line/phone knob can create a cleaner Gate effect when flickered from left to right.  The crossfader with the Flat Slope on, also does this effect.

️Music Key

Every song is set to a Key (Piano Keys). By being on the same key, the songs will be easier to mix/blend. This is difficult to determine by ear if you don't know Music Theory. It is worth pointing out to look at tracks with a different perspective,  instead of trying to match tracks by bass, instruments,  etc.

🎶Overall 🎶

What you are doing is pretty much all you can do with your equipment. Your EQ and Scratching would be the next thing to do to expand your experience.  Letting go of the record at the right time with the right BPM will take practice. Cueing up your tracks and playing them before the mark will give you the cleanest mixes.

️Sidenote:

A lot of this is hard to explain in txt, hope I did my best. I currently sold my gear to eventually get something else. Any explanation needed can be demonstrated via video, going to take time to create.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to write all this out.

Definitely need to work experimenting more with the cueing and EQ and just keep practicing to get more comfortable.

Also, can you link your scratch tutorial again? No idea which thread it was posted in before.

I did a little scratching last night and this evening. It was fun. I think my main issues is not really understanding the techniques behind the sounds I’m making and the full capabilities of the equipment. I’m just moving the Crossfader back and forth at various speeds while moving the record back and forth at various speeds over a beat. So while some of it sounds kind of cool, the majority is messy. I would like to gain more control of what I’m doing and sounds made. I’m sure a lot of that comes down to spending the time on the tables.

I remember my friend who was really good at scratching would do crabbing and a bunch of other specific styles/techniques.

thnx

• Like 2

@T4M* Okay, one of my needles is definitely fucked up. There is some static/distortion/grinding?/bad sound coming out of it. Not super noticeable when the track is playing, but in between the tracks it def sounds bad.

Any recommendations on needle replacements? Will go ahead and change both out as long as price is reasonable. Don’t really need any superstar DJ hype shit, just functional.

thanks

13 hours ago, LUGR said:

@T4M* Okay, one of my needles is definitely fucked up. There is some static/distortion/grinding?/bad sound coming out of it. Not super noticeable when the track is playing, but in between the tracks it def sounds bad.

Any recommendations on needle replacements? Will go ahead and change both out as long as price is reasonable. Don’t really need any superstar DJ hype shit, just functional.

thanks

It comes in two parts, the cartridge and the stylus. 

Carts to replace your model :

image.jpeg.d3c298b5c4cde9c10384756fd4f4ace1.jpeg

You are better off getting the whole kit, and you get color/material options:

Screenshot_20240304_070928_Firefox.jpg.caaff478c7f2e1ed079e8a2fef1daa8a.jpg

I recommend this, a good bundle:

Screenshot_20240304_071128_Firefox.jpg.896861e2bd5646679cc97fc6dd85385e.jpg

They are pretty cheap to stock up. These are for light use and some come with a case to protect them.

• Props 1

On 2/29/2024 at 9:30 PM, LUGR said:

Thanks a lot for taking the time to write all this out.

Definitely need to work experimenting more with the cueing and EQ and just keep practicing to get more comfortable.

Also, can you link your scratch tutorial again? No idea which thread it was posted in before.

I did a little scratching last night and this evening. It was fun. I think my main issues is not really understanding the techniques behind the sounds I’m making and the full capabilities of the equipment. I’m just moving the Crossfader back and forth at various speeds while moving the record back and forth at various speeds over a beat. So while some of it sounds kind of cool, the majority is messy. I would like to gain more control of what I’m doing and sounds made. I’m sure a lot of that comes down to spending the time on the tables.

I remember my friend who was really good at scratching would do crabbing and a bunch of other specific styles/techniques.

thnx

Your Turntables are your instruments and the crossfader, think of it as a "Filter". It helps you create new sounds and make sharper tines.

When to use the crossfader for Scratching is difficult for new comers. When you see people freestyle, they are doing combos.  To do combos, you need to learn the moves , like crap, chirp, transformers, cuts, etc.

To practice,  do sequence routines like on my video.

By cutting in sequence,  than doing them fast or slow,  you will learn the different sounds you can make by cutting the music in different amounts. Once you understand what's going on, than you can freestyle,  by combining the amount of cuts you do when you move the record foward, than back.

Practice the cuts. After learning lesson, than I can go into detail on how to make even more sounds with the amount of cuts you put in.

Cheers.

• Props 1

6 hours ago, T4M* said:

It comes in two parts, the cartridge and the stylus. 

Carts to replace your model :

image.jpeg.d3c298b5c4cde9c10384756fd4f4ace1.jpeg

You are better off getting the whole kit, and you get color/material options:

Screenshot_20240304_070928_Firefox.jpg.caaff478c7f2e1ed079e8a2fef1daa8a.jpg

I recommend this, a good bundle:

Screenshot_20240304_071128_Firefox.jpg.896861e2bd5646679cc97fc6dd85385e.jpg

They are pretty cheap to stock up. These are for light use and some come with a case to protect them.

Money is kind of tight since I had to repair a cracked tooth, I think I will get this one outlined in red so I can still put some of that extra $ towards upgrading my speaker. Basing choice on the 5 star rating.

BC705C9C-1138-47C4-A68F-3C3D8F8B1ADC.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Props 1

On 2/28/2024 at 5:03 AM, T4M* said:

How to make Clean Mixes 🌐

️ Cue Points

A fool-proof way to always be on point with your cues, cue your sample , than cue it back 2️⃣ or 4️⃣ beat bars (same sample) release it at the 7th or 5th bar, (hip hip is usually 1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...1...2...3...4...5...4...6..7..8...), quickly fix the timing, and when Bar 1 starts to come in, move the crossfader to the middle.  (This prevents you from releasing the record when the time comes. You release the record sooner behind doors and fix the timing, giving you the cleanest Blend, Transition,  and Mix)

@LUGR

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

2 hours ago, T4M* said:

Obviously my equipment is limited, but this is the stuff I want to learn about. The different techniques, sounds and transitions to be done beyond the most basic shit. Appreciate the videos!

Once I get the new needles I’ll try to get it set up to record a few mixes for further review and critique.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, T4M* said:

Does anybody get distortion when using some of the synths?

Yeah.  It's not very clean with some sounds.  Most of it needs some heavy remastering but I like the site because it's a easy way to exasperiment with and to practice timing touching buttons on and off.  But unfortunately the UI feels very limited. 

Edited by ndv
  • Like 1

On 3/10/2024 at 8:36 PM, ndv said:

I just like to play around.  If I had a real set up like @T4M* or @MOOGLE?  I would never leave my house.   David Guetta has great tutorials on producing.   Wish I had the time to focus more of producing music and editing amd such. 

But anyhow...

I like the second one, it's just fun to do. 

all I see is “error”?

@T4M*So, new needles arrived. Sound pretty sweet. I now need to adjust these.

523D2F40-2029-4709-AA76-32E0F6A23A3B.thumb.jpeg.842b048bf86ae1feaf4d267f57a04f4d.jpeg

I have never previously adjust them…..(I know, I know total noob) I had to lighten them up to pull the new needles from dragging on the record. Is there a sweet spot I should go for? Just hovering over the record? I didn’t see any direction for weight settings on the cartridge or case. New speakers are en route!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LUGR said:

@nicklesndimesrecording worked for me yesterday, but today it shows as “error” too. All yours still “error”.

bummer……wanted to hear you drop some hot fyah!

Hold up, are you talking about buttonbase or the music upload to 12oz having an error?