Official 12oontz Music Producer Exchange

T4M*

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Does anybody have Fab-Filter Pro L or something better or similar to it?

I feel like I'm taking too long mastering sounds with Signalizer,  need new inspiration.

This is a tool that I use to try and fix sounds' structure, to make mastering easier.  Overall, this tool is accurate towards seeing how sound works and what it looks like coming out of the speakers.  I hate mastering tracks, looking for tools to speed up the process.

On 1/13/2022 at 8:02 AM, T4M* said:

Does anybody have Fab-Filter Pro L or something better or similar to it?

I feel like I'm taking too long mastering sounds with Signalizer,  need new inspiration.

This is a tool that I use to try and fix sounds' structure, to make mastering easier.  Overall, this tool is accurate towards seeing how sound works and what it looks like coming out of the speakers.  I hate mastering tracks, looking for tools to speed up the process.

Waves complete has a whole ass suite and fabfilter has singular and bundles...waves is hella expensive though and you can't just pick what you want.

It's been a minute but I think iZotope has the better of visual mastering tools.

I can find a fabfilter L for you if you are cool with borrowing from the internet though

• 1 year later...

And a horribly out of sync test to see if I can make Ableton/EZdrummer3 place nice. Turns out I can. Strings are much easier for me than fucking around with keys. Ableton as the DAW, Ezdrummer3 for the drums (those groove presets make it so fucking easy to just jam for awhile) and Amplitube 5 processing the bass signal put through a shitty Scarlett 2i2. Works well enough but I want to upgrade to the Apollo soon.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

What's the new method to obtain music as files for DJing? I've seen subscribe methods and website converters, not sure if there is some other quick way.

If websites streams music, those are easy targets , but now hard to find. 

Pm if necessary.

2 hours ago, nicklesndimes said:

@T4M*good luck finding some freebies. making music as a hobby can be a costly one! hope you find a good one.

It's difficult to find websites that hosts the tracks you are looking for but they are available, scattered.  I've been DJing with YouTube for songs I don't have and old sets off my hardrive.

Beats I usually make them from scratch.  I'm working on getting a studio for music and art.

Someone mentioned a site where you can get lots of music with a subscription,  going to read up on it.

Someone here mentioned they had Gigs of samples for music production, I still have that in mind for  future use.

Edited by T4M*

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow, never knew that was possible. I like how precises you can be with each tone you make and how quick the tones transition from one another. I can see it being fun when you mess with it, but lets say you are cutting a logo that needs to be on point, to try to make the machine make music while making the logo would be difficult. You would need an ending sound that will even out all the edges.

I think i make sense lol  @ndv

• Truth 1

On 11/18/2023 at 10:25 PM, T4M* said:

Wow, never knew that was possible. I like how precises you can be with each tone you make and how quick the tones transition from one another. I can see it being fun when you mess with it, but lets say you are cutting a logo that needs to be on point, to try to make the machine make music while making the logo would be difficult. You would need an ending sound that will even out all the edges.

I think i make sense lol  @ndv

Don't get me wrong, that there probably took a quite of bit of time to figure out.

If you were a business trying to impress people at a trade show, then this would probably be a hit,  no pun intended.  As for setting up a job to make music as well while laying, all your profit went out the door half way through set up. 

The simplest way to explain what's going on there, is it's basically density and timing of the squares and rectangles. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Music was the reason why I got Into Sega and they still have some great music out there.  Nes had a bunch of games where the sounds and music sounded creepy for my taste. Super Nintendo stepped their music up, but still no competition.  Here is a bunch of beats I was Jammin, NES first.

Took me an Hour to figure out the name of this game.

But, this is the one that slaps.

• Like 1

This is Killer Instinct and 007 combined together. I tried making this Darker but keep some of the RARE elements. I quit after the first try lol

Sidenote - Game takes place in 2023 and the content of the game is mind blowing lol

Edited by T4M*

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
20 hours ago, T4M* said:

Slap that flat line on and you are good 👍

Screenshot_20240225_234734_Firefox.jpg.9f9c7d49e61a8a4fa2bb6b1e847ba665.jpg

@LUGR

This is how I had it configured.

3F53F046-940D-4057-9C32-E40A297F5B63.thumb.jpeg.023c50003c7dba87285bbb9a44df6c9f.jpeg

It seemed to work fine. Can you break it down for me in what changing it to your config will do? I have it set to channel 3 bc prefer to use channel 1and 3 volume control and sometimes hook computer up to channel 2. But the sound quality was never great.

8AA41B42-8156-4B9F-A07B-D795B5EBB3EB.thumb.jpeg.d61e97a309e05d1da4ecbd4c664327db.jpeg

Thanks for the help. Been having fun mixing these records tonight 

A839B067-DE4C-4AC1-9903-A4DB92300F73.thumb.jpeg.2cb2fdf2d3c05fc2c5b5bd650fed0361.jpeg

• Props 1

Channel 2 is set to (phono/aux) :

Screenshot_20240226_191757_Firefox.jpg.b8d3eb238d1f2d7c6dd50509ec4ccb54.jpg

Change the computer input to the (line) input and see if the sound quality changes. If all in general doesn't sound good, it can be a lot of things. 

*needle is dirty

*cables are shot

*receiver not configured right or going out

*mixer might be going out

Screenshot_20240226_191240_Firefox.jpg.402ff7a352eb298bbe5faa0d28c47b1a.jpg

Your channels are fine they way you set it up, for Scratching, you need to change the slope to the right.  Once you do, your crossfader will act differently.  Your Current setup is set for mixing.

Figure out what side you like to scratch to practice. Myself, my left hand would be on Record 1, and my right hand on the crossfader, and Record 2 would be playing background music.

In this setup, the crossfader has to be all the way to the right. You slightly move the crossfader to the left to bring in sample and you wiggle it to create a "Cut" effect.

image.jpeg.2db2771dff05bdbc8a27b1ae24b9c9e5.jpeg

Use tape to create cue points if u need to, not necessary . If you don't have vinyls with samples , cut the bass on the Record you are Scratching on.

@LUGR

• Props 1

2 hours ago, T4M* said:

Channel 2 is set to (phono/aux) :

Screenshot_20240226_191757_Firefox.jpg.b8d3eb238d1f2d7c6dd50509ec4ccb54.jpg

Change the computer input to the (line) input and see if the sound quality changes. If all in general doesn't sound good, it can be a lot of things. 

*needle is dirty

*cables are shot

*receiver not configured right or going out

*mixer might be going out

Screenshot_20240226_191240_Firefox.jpg.402ff7a352eb298bbe5faa0d28c47b1a.jpg

Your channels are fine they way you set it up, for Scratching, you need to change the slope to the right.  Once you do, your crossfader will act differently.  Your Current setup is set for mixing.

Figure out what side you like to scratch to practice. Myself, my left hand would be on Record 1, and my right hand on the crossfader, and Record 2 would be playing background music.

In this setup, the crossfader has to be all the way to the right. You slightly move the crossfader to the left to bring in sample and you wiggle it to create a "Cut" effect.

image.jpeg.2db2771dff05bdbc8a27b1ae24b9c9e5.jpeg

Use tape to create cue points if u need to, not necessary . If you don't have vinyls with samples , cut the bass on the Record you are Scratching on.

@LUGR

Thanks for the info! I haven’t had that computer to hook up for over a decade 😂 but maybe will happen again at some point.

Didn’t know about the slope adjustment for scratching. Will try.

I like to set up the same way for scratching. Need to find my sample record and start messing around. I definitely know the basics, just always seemed like I wasn’t doing it “right” or clean…..just making noise over a beat.

• Like 1

Needles have a life span of 200-1000 hour use, it all differs from quality to how often you clean them. Any audio change,  pretty much an indicator that it's going to go out (I know, I know, old technology,  but you can't beat the experience of it all).

It's that slope homie, will make a big difference.  The fun part is figuring out the tolerance of your crossfader (play something on record one only, move your crossfader to the right and then tiny hair move it to the left to see where audio comes in. The distance from right to left will determine how big of a wiggle you are going to do. The bigger the wiggle, the more frustrated you are going to be.

But, it's adaptable with practice.

@LUGR

• Like 1

4 hours ago, T4M* said:

Needles have a life span of 200-1000 hour use, it all differs from quality to how often you clean them. Any audio change,  pretty much an indicator that it's going to go out (I know, I know, old technology,  but you can't beat the experience of it all).

It's that slope homie, will make a big difference.  The fun part is figuring out the tolerance of your crossfader (play something on record one only, move your crossfader to the right and then tiny hair move it to the left to see where audio comes in. The distance from right to left will determine how big of a wiggle you are going to do. The bigger the wiggle, the more frustrated you are going to be.

But, it's adaptable with practice.

@LUGR

Cleaning needles? Should I be doing something beyond pulling the lint balls off them?

Uh, store them away lol or cover them. In your situation,  there is different types of oils you can get to clean them, depending on needle material you have.

There is a stylus brush you can use, never brush or clean sideways on the needle .

• Like 1

@T4M*need some advice/guidance for mixing. For example, mixing two hip hop beats. Match the snares and use the cross fader to blend them together. My mixer has these kill switches, and I usually bring the new beat in with the bass killed and then as the track progresses I activate that bass on the incoming track and kill the out going track’s bass and eventually treble, then pop all the way over on the cross fader determined by the song’s progression.

This works fairly well. Is there a better way to do it? Also, if there is a better thread you know about to discuss this since we veering away from speakers?

I can match the beats, just want to make the blend and transition as smooth as possible.

8AC588F3-EA8A-4FF0-9423-80E9CA998EB5.thumb.png.7a93a2e9b584de43ba87a18236df2a3a.png