a hole where the stars aren't.

lord_casek

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSN2329057520070823Gaping hole found in universe

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A giant hole in the Universe is devoid of galaxies, stars and even lacks dark matter, astronomers said on Thursday.

The team at the University of Minnesota said the void is nearly a billion light-years across and they have no idea why it is there.

"Not only has no one ever found a void this big, but we never even expected to find one this size," said astronomy professor Lawrence Rudnick.

Writing in the Astrophysical Journal, Rudnick and colleagues Shea Brown and Liliya Williams said they were examining a cold spot using the Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe satellite, and found the giant hole.

"We already knew there was something different about this spot in the sky," Rudnick said. The region stood out as being colder in a survey of the Cosmic Microwave Background -- the faint radio buzz left over from the Big Bang that gave birth to the Universe.

"What we've found is not normal, based on either observational studies or on computer simulations of the large-scale evolution of the Universe," Williams said in a statement.

The astronomers said the region even appeared to lack dark matter, which cannot be seen directly but is usually detected by measuring gravitational forces.

The void is in a region of sky in the constellation Eridanus, southwest of Orion.

The researchers have posted images on the Internet at http://www.nrao.edu/pr/2007/coldspot/graphics.shtml.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

nobody ever found any stars in my A hole...

perhaps they didn't look close enough... I mean, it's only been girls and how close do girls look at A holes?

Actually, in a related story, my best friend's Ahole was giving him pain recently... to the point where he actually had his wife take a close look at his Ahole... she didn't see anything butt (pun intended) a week later he went to a doctor (how humiligatin) and found out he had what is called an 'anal fissure'... NOT COOL... and I guess he's gonna have to have some corrective surgery...

So, if you're religious type, pray for my homie and pray for us all... GOD, deliver us from anal fissures! AMEN!

A fissure or a fistula? A friend of mine had a fistula, it's basically a little hole in your colon that tunnels out until it reaches the surface. So basically he was close to having two buttholes. We never cease to make fun of him for this.

A hole in the universe is awesome to think about.

A fissure or a fistula? A friend of mine had a fistula, it's basically a little hole in your colon that tunnels out until it reaches the surface. So basically he was close to having two buttholes. We never cease to make fun of him for this.

A hole in the universe is awesome to think about.

Fissures are when there is a small tear in the rectum. They can be quite painful. Women often get them after giving labor, along with hemorrhoids. One of the treatments is called a sphincterectomy, where an incision is made on the sphincter to loosen it and allow it to heal. Another treatment involves a botox injection. And the last and most arcane treatment is called "anal dilation", where the rectum is manually forced open by a large object in the operating room, by far the most painful remedy. Don't ask me why I know all this and /nohomo to all of it.

""Not only has no one ever found a void this big, but we never even expected to find one this size," said astronomy professor Lawrence Rudnick."

"What we've found is not normal, based on either observational studies or on computer simulations of the large-scale evolution of the Universe," Williams said in a statement."

Seems pretty significant to me.

idk i'd expect the dispersion of matter from the epicentre to be relatively uniform. I'm sure there's an infinitely larger ammount of physics involved in the formation of the universe than in dropping a ball of sand on the ground though. Also its important to remember the big bang is just a theory so dispersion from a single source may not have anything to do with the existance of this void...INTERESTING STUFF!

actually... I was just being a smart ass when I made my original 'a hole' comments..

anyway, aside from that... I actually do take a great interest in lunar events...I watched the recent metoer 'storms' all by myself, backyard 12pack stylee... and I do find this something of an interesting anomoly...

To speak towards Mar's point... while it is true on the larger sense from the 'naked eye view' the fact is that if you scattered sand in a large area it is pretty weird to think that there would be a certain area with no actual grains of sand. Maybe the it 1sq inch w/o any visible grains but, close inspection should reveal one or two grains at least... right? I mean, it take a lot to make a real 'scientific type' void....

could be some shit...

My advice is to keep an eye on your A holes AND B holes... don't let the scientists get there first!

*OK, no lie, She Watch Channel Zero just came on my random mp3 so... I'm taking it as a sign from a God that I don't really believe exists... moving on...

yeah, I caught the eclipse and called an X=girl who is SO astrological but got her answering machine... I told her she was a "goddamned idiot" if she wasn't looking but it turns out she was totally asleep but 'wanted to see it'

So, yeah, I dated a kook...

Still, on the 'void' subject... definately something to look at.

*Out of gentlemanly, well... gentlemanlyness...

I should point out that she NEVER let me get at her B hole (MUCH).

**(that word looks a lot like munch, and I am not afraid to admit that I will munch a girl's b hole, however... NOT the point)

I also wouldn't even speak about this if we weren't already in some sort of A hole conversation...

*Out of gentlemanly, well... gentlemanlyness...

I should point out that she NEVER let me get at her B hole (MUCH).

**(that word looks a lot like munch, and I am not afraid to admit that I will munch a girl's b hole, however... NOT the point)

I also wouldn't even speak about this if we weren't already in some sort of A hole conversation...

dude seriously what the fuck is the appeal of putting your tongue in someones shitter?