Dating...with Raving!

roadpig

i've been single for a little over a year now.

yes, i know...how could a man of my calibur stay single for so long?! :D

now i find myself in the *cringe* dating scene.

i was never one to go out on dates so this is somewhat new to me.

after a few dates over the past few months, i've come to realize

that dating is hard fuckin work and can be costly too!!

here are some do's and don'ts of dating i found on Discovery Health.. :lol:

---------------------------------------

Dating Dos

•****Be attentive to your date. When faced with the dilemma of whether to bare all or listen attentively, many singles prefer to listen. Lori is a 22-year-old college student who feels she's nailed the role of "listener". "If you listen to your date, they think you're interesting even though you haven't actually said anything. Just keep asking questions and they'll think you're brilliant and fascinating."

• Maintain eye contact. Just make sure it's not too intense. Remember, you aren't a hawk eyeing it's prey.

• Plan your date out ahead of time. Avoid falling into the vicious cycle of saying, "I don't know, what do you want to do?" Decide on something and do it. Be open to other suggestions if your plans don't work out.

• Meet in a public place on your first date. Not only is this a safe idea, it also allows for distractions should conversation lag. Rick, 24, agrees: "Leave the one-on romantic dates for when you really feel you are into a person."

• Offer to split the bill. The issue of "who pays" is probably one of the largest sources of confusion for singles. Most people today feel that the bill is the responsibility of the party that asked for the date. That said, it is courteous to offer to "go Dutch" and you should always be prepared to split the costs. If your date does pick up the tab, offer to pay the next time.

•****Act chivalrous. Men, the women's liberation movement may have provided women with the means to financial independence and positions of power, but this does not mean that she no longer appreciates those little things that make you a gentlemen. Open doors for your date, pull out her chair for her, make sure she gets home safely. These are the things that make a good impression. Sarah, 31, believes: "If used correctly, chivalry is the charm of all charms; if overused, it seems like machismo."

•****Followup with your date. Call or email your date to let them know you had a good time. This doesn't have to be a plea to see them again right away. It's simply a courtesy. If your date had an enjoyable time too, this will be icing on the cake!

•****Crack jokes. Not only will this put your date at ease, it will show them you have a sense of humor.

•****Discuss heavier topics. Let's face it, some people SHOULD stick to small talk, but if you're informed on a topic, go ahead and discuss it. If you find some topics appropriate and your date finds them taboo, it may be better to realize this early on.

Dating Don'ts

• Don't act distracted during a date. Turn off your cell phone and keep your eyes from wandering. Nothing will show a greater lack of interest on your part than fielding phone calls and checking out the waitstaff.

• Don't turn your date into a therapy session. Avoid subjects like your ex, your bad relationship with your mother or your growing sense of insecurity over the strange growth you've discovered on your back.

•****Don't be pretentious. Nobody is perfect and nothing is more annoying than someone who acts like they are.

• Don't agree for the sake of agreeing. It's important to stand your ground and let your date know where you stand on certain topics. The point is getting to know one another. Most people enjoy intellectual argument, as long as you avoid insulting your date's intelligence.

• Don't try to make any uninvited physical advances. There are so many different opinions on what is acceptable, physically, on a date. Cara, 29, holds the opinion that if there is chemistry, the physical aspects of a relationship will fall into place. "If things feel right, then hold hands, kiss, whatever feels right. Nothing is worse, though, than a first date who is way too into PDA (public displays of affection). It's sort of like they are staking their claim, which is a major turn-off."

• Women, don't be afraid to ask a man for a date. In fact, many men find a woman who will make the first move attractive and confident. Kate, 30, agrees: "A woman asking a man for a date doesn't have to be a pathetic plea to listen to Seal over a candlelit dinner. You can invite the guy to something you are going to anyway, like a concert, so it's like you are asking them to come along."

• Don't consume large amounts of alcohol. In one of his early movies, Arnold Schwarzenegger told his drunken wife: "You should not drink and bake." Well, the same holds true for dating: You should not drink and date. Athough the reasons for this are pretty obvious, it's a trap many people fall into and it has ruined many a person's chances for a second date. If you must drink, stick with one beer or glass of wine.

• Don't be afraid to end the date early. If things aren't working out or you are uncomfortable, feel free to end the date at any time

-----------------------------------------

i guess it all depends on the person you're going out with.

i'll share some of my recent experiences...

date #1

i take a female friend (knew her for a few months before asking out) out on Valentines Day since niether of us had dates. we go have beer and battered fish. we catch a buzz, talk some shit and the date goes very smooth. i get a big hug and a nice wet kiss on the cheek at the end of the "date" and we still talk. she asked me out this last friday but i couldnt make it. maybe next time!

date #2

i take another female friend (barely met her, took her out 2 weeks later) out to have mimosa brunch. first mistake i made was showing up late. boy was she mad! we sit down to eat and i ask her if she wanted a mimosa. she gives me this look like i'm some kind of wino... :lol:

hey, i thought it would be a good way to loosen her up since she had a headache from not eating all morning. i think i over complimented her and i also ate like the roadpig that i am. we haven't gone out on a second date yet. :/

date #3

i take a female friend (barely knew her for about 2 weeks) out for coffee. i pay. i take her out to the movies. i pay. during one of our convos she makes it clear that she does not want a BF. she just wants to have fun. ok, no problem, me too! i ask if she wants to go out to the bar and have some drinks. her reply, "sure!! you're buying though, right? cuzz youre the guy, right?" hahaha..uuuuhhh, WRONG! do i smell a golddigger?! had to clip her wings quick!!

date #4

*pending* i'm taking a female i met at the doctors office to go see Superbad on friday.

feel free to share your good or bad dating experiences here.

maybe i can learn a thing or two about dating.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Dating...with Roadpig!

I'm walking the same path.. Except I've only been single about 7 to 8 months..

1st date: Went out to sushi.. Then did the 'smash dance'.. Won't be smashing again.. First she has bad fashion and I can't have that in a woman.. Second she wouldn't shut up during said smash dance... Something about her voice and what she said.. Made the troops retreat..

2nd date: Dinner and a movie and females house.. Good night, but not feeling her... But will smash I'm sure 'cuz... Well 'cuz I can...

Other than that it's just been random encounters which never panned out 'cuz I usually don't call..

Dating sux..

I think that's fresh you're going out with a girl you met at the eye doctor. Odd situations like that seem to work out better, in my opinion.

Going to see a funny movie is a good idea. It gives you something to talk about after the movie, and you can get sorta familiar with the way she carries herself without too much conversation during the show. Strange subconscious habits come out when someone is focused on a movie. I went on a movie date with a girl once, and noticed that she constantly made this weird half-cough, clearing-the-throat kinda "hmm?" noise. I couldn't take it, so that was the only date.

I bet those cute indie chicks would be into that.

So most people try to get your change on the street by playing a fiddle or some shit, or doing spraypaint moon landscapes, but there's these persistent crusty punk rockers that sit on their longboards and expect you to give them money for just sitting there. Why?

That is a fine idea for like, the 4-5th date, 3rd at the earliest. Gotta watch out for getting too drunk though. It's not too hard at those beer fests. Those small samples sneak up on you. Nothing ruins a date like synchronized puking in an alley. I've been there, too.

dont give your a game the first time you sleep with them because women are sort of like a job. if you need to bust ass bust ass, but only when its necessary. if you use all your special moves the first fuck their going to expect more shit, or the same level of shit every single time. and my man, sometimes i just want to bust a nut and be done with it, and im sure all of you feel the same. that is my only advice because every girl dates differently, you just have to feel them out in the beginning.

yay.

That is a fine idea for like, the 4-5th date, 3rd at the earliest. Gotta watch out for getting too drunk though. It's not too hard at those beer fests. Those small samples sneak up on you. Nothing ruins a date like synchronized puking in an alley. I've been there, too.

really think so? I was thinking about takin this girl out to one...damn gotta find something new to do. I suck at first dates and always shoot for dinner.

dont give your a game the first time you sleep with them because women are sort of like a job. if you need to bust ass bust ass, but only when its necessary. if you use all your special moves the first fuck their going to expect more shit, or the same level of shit every single time. and my man, sometimes i just want to bust a nut and be done with it, and im sure all of you feel the same. that is my only advice because every girl dates differently, you just have to feel them out in the beginning.

yay.

This is why foreplay is key son...finish them before you ever drop your ish in...

haha...i do! they can be fun...or they can be funny. depending on the person and situation.

taking a girl out to get sloppy drunk can end a few ways. puking in an alley or puking on each other is one way. waking up in the drunk tank is another...or even worse, hopping in bed and catching gonosyphaherpeaids!! :lol:

it could work out if you know shes a drinker or if you go with a mob of friends. as a first date its kind of iffy though. the winery thing is cool but be careful, i hear about a lot of people catching DUIs out there. that would totally fuck up a first date!

ilb's sprinklen some game up in hurrr... :D

Re: Dating...with Raping!

that's the way it used to be with me too. i'm taking my time in getting to know a female now because i dont want to wind up getting serious with someone who turns out to be something i didnt want. dating is a good way for me to feel someone out. friends first and then see where it goes.

Re: Dating...with Raping!

I am meeting up with a marketing director of an opera house tonight. Time to put my cultured hat on!!

I am gonna dress like this...

phantom.jpg

But seriously here is how the night is going.

Tonight I am playing a show celebrating my birthday (which is actually tomorrow) all the musicians that I played with from the last 5 years are coming out tonight to have an open mic sorta thing all my friends are coming out its gonna be an insane night. Its also the bar managers birthday tonight too.

So I am having this girl come out with her friends who I am friends with and after I set up at like 8:30pm (i guess the girl has to work early friday) we are gonna all have dinner and drinks together till I have to go on she is prolly gonna stay till the end of the first set where we will say goodnight to each other hopefully I get digits and another date out of it. Then I go back on to get sloppy and shit faced...

How does that sound for a first date/hang out/2nd time we see each other?

these are on yahoo's front page right now....which one of you is a "hands-on howie"?? :lol:

---------------------------------

http://dating.personals.yahoo.com/singles/datingtips/24995/10-turnoffs-that-make-great-gals-wave-goodbye

Great Gal Turnoff #1: Showboat Sammy

Maybe he owns a yacht off the coast of France. Maybe he has a timeshare in the Hamptons. Maybe his annual bonus is bigger than most guys' salaries. That's all well and good, but does it really need to be divulged on the first date?

Great Gal Turnoff #2: Messy Melvin

A-list celebrities can pull off the unkempt look. First-daters need to pay attention to shaving, clothing and bad breath. If the guy can't even put in the effort for a first impression, it doesn't bode well down the road.

Great Gal Turnoff #3: Rude Ricky

"Where's our drinks, lady?" If a guy treats the service staff with a lack of respect, a great gal will likely assume he'll do the same to her someday. The last thing anyone wants is to be talked down to or disrespected.

Great Gal Turnoff #4: Cheapie Charlie

There will always be debate about who should pay on a first date. Some guys are traditionalists and want to foot the bill; others expect a 50-50 monetary split. In most cases, offering to pay is the way to go. Let her pick up the tab on a future date.

Great Gal Turnoff #5: Still-Married Michael

Marriage, separation and divorce are pretty cut-and-dry terms. If a guy says he's separated when he really means he's cheating on his wife, it's going to cause trouble. Be honest from the get-go and let the dating chips fall where they may.

Great Gal Turnoff #6: Hands-On Howie

Guys need to read the signals before assuming hand holding, massaging and other touchy-feely activities have the green light. Jumping too quickly to any form of intimacy can make any guy seem too aggressive.

Great Gal Turnoff #7: Stereotyping Stephen

"Oh, you're one of those types of women." Jumping to conclusions about a date from the way she answers one or two questions is a definite mistake. Let the date unfold before making assumptions about someone you just met.

Great Gal Turnoff #8: Distracted David

His cell phone is ringing constantly, he's popping away from the table every 10 minutes, and he keeps interrupting the conversation flow. First dates require focused attention -- that means putting the phone on vibrate, making eye contact and being present.

Great Gal Turnoff #9: All-Business Barry

Some guys are great salesmen or outstanding negotiators. But there's a time and place for business and a time and place for leisure. Guys who treat first dates like business transactions will never close the deal.

Great Gal Turnoff #10: Nervous Ned

He can't sit still, he's banging his fork on the table, and he won't make eye contact for more than three seconds. Nervous antics are a real turnoff and make a great gal think a guy has something to hide. Work out the nervous kinks before the date starts.

-------------------------------