12oz boredom project - no homo

lord_casek

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...

No one's added anything to this thread for two years? WTF?

Anyway...

I made a bacon lantern last night.

Clean and dry an old tin can (think beans, not beer) and cut the top off. Then get a piece of corrugated cardboard and roll it up till it's about the same diameter as the inside of the can. Stuff it on in there and cut it flush with the top.

Once that's assembled, take some bacon grease and heat it up till it's liquid again. Pour it in the center of the cardboard-stuffed can, but don't overfill it. You can use it right away or wait till the grease cools. It takes a minute to get started, but once it does it will burn well for hours.

I don't have a working camera with me right now, so imagine a can stuffed with oily cardboard with a flame on top and you'll be pretty close.

• Like 1

• 6 years later...
  • 4 months later...

I've been messing around with Raspberry Pi's for the past year or so.  The last project I did was streaming my record player onto my home wifi network so it could be picked up by any device on the wifi network.  I'll do a little write up on it and post it soon.

• 1 year later...
On 10/18/2018 at 8:32 AM, misteraven said:

I played with Raspberry Pi a bit, mostly to teach my kids a little about computers. Was looking to get into an Arduino project to see if I could get our water pump to run off electric but switch over to a solar powered deep cycle battery array when the power trips. Maybe next summer...

Many people use arduinos and rpi's in the capacity you're talking about.... but I would probably not.  The reason being is that they're prototyping tools that are cheap enough for people to use as production tools.  I would NOT trust a prototyping tool to do a production level job.  RPis WILL burn up their sd card in time, there's no way around it.  An sd card is a shit form of data storage for a running operating system because of the finite life and the limited number of reads/writes.  Of course, this affects other media types as well like your normal hard disks, but the difference is... recovering data on a torched sd card is not easy and in many cases impossible once it shits the bed.

So, all I'm saying is that if you do use it like this, then you must have a backup if the job it's doing is critical.  Also, have your unit exporting data over the network to a more reliable form of storage.  For instance, don't store your historical power usage stats on the sd card of the device that is controlling the power. 

Maybe make two of them that are identical and put the other one on the shelf for when the first one fails.  The real pimp shit to do though is to design your "product" and then make an actual schematic that includes ONLY the components you're using.  This is way beyond what most people will dedicate their time and effort to doing, however.  You can etch your own circuits at home but you're going to have to get comfortable with becoming an amateur EE in the process.

• Like 2
  • Truth 1

• 1 year later...
8 hours ago, poes said:

I'm learning Python so if anyones got any ideas for beginner level projects I'm all ears.

I wouldn't stop at Python.  Once you have the basics down you can pick up any other language pretty easily (mostly kinda maybe for some small subset of nobody, but really).

My recommendation to you, if you have the capacity to learn software development, is to learn how to do DevOps.  Pay for a LinuxAcademy.com subscription (yes I know kinda pricey).... and get certified in as many things as you can.

Jenkins

Kubernetes

AWS/GCE/Azure

Helm

Everything that Hashicorp makes (especially Terraform)

Anyway, the sky is the limit for things you can learn and do, and the amount of money you make doing this shit is up to you as well.  Stick and move my friend, don't  get stuck on software dev only.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2021 at 11:24 PM, Dirty_habiT said:

I wouldn't stop at Python.  Once you have the basics down you can pick up any other language pretty easily (mostly kinda maybe for some small subset of nobody, but really).

My recommendation to you, if you have the capacity to learn software development, is to learn how to do DevOps.  Pay for a LinuxAcademy.com subscription (yes I know kinda pricey).... and get certified in as many things as you can.

Jenkins

Kubernetes

AWS/GCE/Azure

Helm

Everything that Hashicorp makes (especially Terraform)

Anyway, the sky is the limit for things you can learn and do, and the amount of money you make doing this shit is up to you as well.  Stick and move my friend, don't  get stuck on software dev only.

Thanks for the advice, really appreciated. 
I feel like my brain leans well towards learning this shit. 

I’ll get reading and sign up to Linux academy right after I’ve finished this Udemy course. The investment should pay for itself in time...

What would your path be after getting certified in those areas?

im still very much a beginner but eager to learn. 

I’ve already seen how just bringing some  basic level shit can quickly revolutionise things at work whether it’s data analysis, admin work efficiency or finance reporting and management etc. Sky is the limit.