FUGAZI appreciation thread

seeking

fugazi are/were awesome. they're existence is making my day tollerable.

also awesome is ian mackaye's new band 'the evens'.

fugazi.jpg

other things that are pretty rad today, but are secondary to fugazi include:

having cold stone ice cream delivered to me unexpectedly.

getting tickets to see dave chappelle at a secret stand up performance.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

fugazi has been a huge inspiration on me, ever since i was a teen. when hardcore started to suck (for me) fugazi kind of carried the torch for me into my adult years. best thing about this band, some of the best band photos you can find:

fugazi_guy_lean.jpg

fugazi_8311_fugazi.jpg

20060816165724_041101.gif

fugazi-2.jpg

fugazi.jpg

petersen_fugazi.jpg

fugazi.jpg

20070105103249_090701.jpg

fugazi-live.jpg

and of course, minor threat:

minorthreatpic.jpg

i was trying to find more of guy doing crazy shit, like climbing onto a basketball hoop, but no luck.

i was at a fugazi show in, i believe it was 1994, where the girl from the state (which was on mtv at the time. she's in reno 911 now) opened with her band. they were called cakelike. so all the dudes from the state was there and i remember seeing thomas lennon and doing the "awwwww yeahhhh" thing from the anton and whatever show where they rubbed their asses in mashed potatoes. he was thrashed out.

it was an amazing show. i was also lucky enough to have found a bootleg of the show last year that sounds super crisp.

grand daddys of emo. not gonna front, I saw a many free or five dollar shows by them niggas. song number one is not a fuck you song.

true, but not in the terms of what emo is today. back then it was just because it wasn't exactly hardcore, but it wasn't exactly rock. what emo stands for today is a fucking joke, and has been for a while. i remember when people first started saying emo, like when revelations first started putting out "emo" shit. people called quicksand emo, but they were a damn good band. now it's just faggy little haircuts and kids being pussies.

When I was 14 and really into BMX, I read that Matt Hoffman's favorite band was Fugazi. So I figured they must be really awesome, and I looked around everywhere so I could get a listen (this was pre-internet PR, it was hard to find). Then I finally got to listen to them, and I was like "This isn't fucking rap".

Not only did I not listen to them anymore, I also stopped riding BMX.

Fuck you Matt Hoffman. You should've said Big Daddy Kane.

To expand on the EMO thing AND the Embrace thing.

More acurately Embrace, and Rites of Spring were the very first bands to be called "EMO" and the actual label was "Emo Core"(short for emotional hardcore) it was in a record review for both bands albums in Thrasher Magazine in 84. both of those bands along with Soulside were the first real "emo" bands. Revolution Summer style DC hardcore is unbeatable.

Both of those bands are just staples of my life. Essentially Ian went from Minor Threat to Embrace To Fugazi with some side stops in Pailhead(with Al Jorgensen of Ministry, and the famed Skewbald/Grand Union 7 inch.

All of those bands are worth the listen.

Guy and Brendan from Rites of spring went onto Fugazi and Guy's older side project "Blacklight Panthers" is definitely worth the listen. Kind of a cross between Nation of Ulysses, and the Makeup.