-Graffiti Books-

Media One

• 3 weeks later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

132265_480711588594_312251033594_6019001_8051795_o.jpg

170965_480711238594_312251033594_6018989_4902422_o1.jpg

169159_480710878594_312251033594_6018979_877709_o1.jpg

169131_480711478594_312251033594_6018998_1782229_o1.jpg

135708_480711693594_312251033594_6019005_5325291_o1.jpg

Here is the first preview of “Street Fonts – Graffiti alphabets from around the world” with short descriptions by the publishers. 320 pages, more than 150 artists and 400+ Illustrations. Available in 6 different editions in English, German, Italian, Spanish and French. I held it in my hands – this book is seriously heavy in many ways!

short description English:

Graffiti-lettering has inspired artists, designers and advertising for many years. But never before have they been compiled systematically in complete alphabets. Over 150 graffiti writers from around the world designed ABC’s especially for this book including black and white sketches, sculptures, digital illustrations, painted walls and many others. The results give an insight into the Street Art and Graffiti world of today and into the creative process in general.

Just noticed this one:

Title: Toronto Graffiti: The human behind the wall

ISBN# - 978-0-9866551-0-4

Pages: 484

Softcover laminate

Book interior printed on FSC paper.

"A rare and powerful book showcasing some of Toronto’s incredible graffiti artists, honouring their work and contributions to this city, while creating a dialogue about some of the issues involved. Click on a link below to read a small sample of the artists’ profile, opinions, or specialty sections."

book1.jpg

http://www.torontograffiti.ca/

(A few sample pages)

ren.jpg

Daser.jpg

IMG_1441.jpg

Guestreview by Jan Beton

After a week of hard work I decided it was time for a small holiday. No flights to myrtle beach and it's amazing white sand for me but hey, a holiday nevertheless!

And what do most people do when they are on a holiday? Right, they get piss drunk….I don't need a holiday for that!

So what else do people do on their holiday? Read books. Apparently they only have time for it while on holiday.

And since I do have some similarities to other human beings at certain points I decided to take a book with me on my trip.

I still hadn't read "The Exchange" yet, looked like perfect holiday material to me, so I threw it in my suitcase..

IMG_1445.jpg

What I did on this holiday is not of your goddamn business and I'm pretty sure you don't give a rat's ass anyways so let's talk about the book.

Another release in the On the run series, these guys are really killing it.

To be honest if it wasn't from them I probably would have overlooked it in the bookshop.

As it looks a bit like something you would receive as a gift from your aunt "Because I know you like graffiti and it has some on the cover…"

Like giving someone a CD "because I know you love music and there's a microphone on the cover.."

But hey I know better by know, these guys really hit the spot with their series so far…

IMG_1449.jpg

This book is not dedicated to one writer but a whole bunch of them. As you might suspect from the title they exchange sketches.

Writers like Bates, Ewok, Revok and our "own" Serch. The project seemed to be running for a while already, something I missed out on I guess..

I did see some of the pictures already but I didn't know it was part of this exchange project.

IMG_1447.jpg

The idea is rather simple: Let someone else do you a sketch and then paint it yourself. Simple but really cool to see!

Some writers tried to execute their pieces as identical to the sketch as possible, while others really gave their own unique touch to it. Sweet!

The comments from the writers on the execution of the sketch makes a good read. Of course all the original sketches are in the book and the end results.

Some legal, some illegal, a nice mix..Further more every writer gets a mini biography, focussing on their background as a writer and what influenced them throughout the years.

IMG_1448.jpg

The "free work" where they collaborated together are off the hook. This is the stuff I already saw some pictures from before.

Bad ass productions. Love the ones with Serch on them, representing the Dutchies!

IMG_1446.jpg

If you like the idea or the writers featured you don't want to miss out on this book. Like all the other OTR books they cost next to nothing and are a welcome addition to your collection.

10 euros for the softcover version, 15 for the hardcover. I hope the OTR guys keep continuing to release such high quality books at this price as it is a great way to collect some nice graffiti books. Two thumbs up!

IMG_1451.jpg

IMG_1495.jpg

IMG_1454.jpg

IMG_1470.jpg

IMG_1482.jpg

img_1318.jpg

IMG_1328.jpg

IMG_1196.jpg

early_ny_graff.jpg

IMG_1002.jpg

IMG_0959.jpg

other cool reviews on books here:

http://dutchdamage.com/index.php/extras/reviews/books-a-magazines

• 2 weeks later...

Published by AKA Projects, and designed by the ALSO KNOWN AS Crew, comes this all out assault to the senses. 'Million Dollar Vandal' is the uncensored story about the life and times of Brooklyn's prodigal son, Desa MTA. For the first time, we get inside Desa's head and his story gets officially told from the beginning. Exceptionally well written, this book chronicles in detail how Desa became the symbol of New York's war on graffiti during the 1990's, and details the repurcussions that came with being the NYC Vandal Squads public enemy number one. It's also an intimate look into his personal life, and reflects back on the milestones that formed the person he is today, including the death of VE (RIP), his near-fatal accident, and his tumultuous graffiti career being pursued by the Vandal Squad, and state prosecuters.

Cheapest WOW Gold

RS Gold

Rift Plat

• 2 weeks later...

HistoryJacketFINAL.jpg

THE HISTORY OF AMERICAN GRAFFITI (Harper Design; April 2011) is the definitive story behind the most explosive and influential art form of the last one hundred years. Unprecedented in scope, the book traces the evolution of the movement from its early freight train days to its big-city boom on the streets of New York City and Philadelphia to its modern-day influences.

Featuring interviews with more than five hundred key artists and exclusive behind-the-scenes stories gleaned from over four-years’ worth of interviews, THE HISTORY OF AMERICAN GRAFFITI unveils the entire scope of American graffiti history, from forgotten street legends to the present-day stars: from TAKI 183 to IZ THE WIZ to SANE AND SMITH; from Barry “TWIST” McGee to REVOK; and historical figures, including for the first time, the story behind the WWII legend KILROY WAS HERE. Authors Roger Gastman and Caleb Neelon provide an insider’s perspective on the most popular trends and styles that have dominated the scene for the last fifty years, revealing the story behind the culture that spawned today’s street artists.

THE HISTORY OF AMERICAN GRAFFITI is packed with over one thousand photographs—the majority of which have never before been seen—from more than two hundred photographers, most of whom also created the artwork. The authors have spent the better part of the last four years interviewing key figures in the graffiti world throughout America—from the bedrock cities of New York City, Philadelphia, and Los Angeles to more than twenty metropolitan hotspots, including Chicago, Boston, Miami, New Orleans, San Diego, and Seattle. Approximately 90 percent of the art in this book has never been published, and was sourced directly from the artists who lived the scene, giving the book a raw street vibe as authentic as the history it documents.

The foreword is by legendary graffiti artist, TAKI 183. Considered one of the founding fathers of the graffiti arts movement, TAKI 183 has never before contributed writing to any book or media article on the subject. 2011 marks the fortieth anniversary of the 1971 New York Times article written on TAKI 183, “TAKI 183 Spawns Pen Pals,” that ignited the movement in New York City and cast TAKI 183 as the world’s first famous graffiti artist.

Despite many small niche titles catering to graffiti’s practitioners, there has never been a comprehensive and accessible book that details the full history—from the 1800s to the present day—of American graffiti. THE HISTORY OF AMERICAN GRAFFITI is unlike anything ever published before on the subject. It is the category game-changer and the ultimate word on the medium as told from the artists who created it.

ABOUT THE AUTHORS:

Roger Gastman started writing graffiti as a teenager in Bethesda, Maryland, and was able to parlay his love for it into a legitimate career, becoming a trusted mediator between the underground art scenes and mainstream culture. A consulting producer on Banksy’s Oscar-nominated Exit Through the Gift Shop, Gastman is co-curating MoCA’s Art In the Streets exhibition in April 2011, alongside Jeffrey Deitch and Aaron Rose. He founded and published two respected pop-culture magazines—While You Were Sleeping and Swindle (co-publisher)—as well as more than a dozen highly sought-after art books. He is the founder and creative director of R. Rock Enterprises, a multi-platform media agency that specializes in print, art, design, marketing, and brand development, and has nurtured the careers of internationally recognized artists. Gastman is producing two independent documentary films, and speaks at universities and major museums across the country. Gastman currently lives in Los Angeles, CA.

Caleb Neelon is a writer, educator, and prolific graffiti artist who has painted the streets of over twenty countries on five continents. His work has been exhibited in galleries and museums worldwide. Neelon is the co-author of Street World, Graffiti Brasil, and Caleb Neelon’s Book of Awesome, and he has collaborated on nearly a dozen other books. In the past five years, Caleb’s writing has frequently appeared in Print, Juxtapoz, and Swindle, where he was editor-at-large. Caleb speaks regularly at universities, international conferences, and festivals. He lives in Cambridge, MA.

THE HISTORY OF AMERICAN GRAFFITI

By Roger Gastman & Caleb Neelon

Harper Design

April 5, 2011

ISBN: 9780061698781/$40.00

This book pretty much consumed the last 2 years of my life and the last 4 or 5 of Roger and Caleb's. Glad it's finally about to be out.

^got my copy in the mail last week, it's a pretty decent book given the huge scope of what they were trying to do. Just from seeing the amount of oldschool material from Boston that they did NOT publish, it makes me wish they were going to take their research and publish a series of more in depth book(lets) on each city. C'est la vie, cest la publishing industry.

And I'm sure everyone will have a beef with some detail of the city(s) they were from, in my case I'm pretty disapointed they gave a whole paragraph in the Mpls section to Daesk, a toy who never really did anything in writing, and barely mentioned KEPT, who as much as the cool kids might not like him anymore, was a gigantic presence in Minneapolis graffiti during the 90's, influenced all sorts of people's style, basically brought roller paint out as the catalyst for big graffiti, and bombed a whole hell of a lot harder than some of his partners who are more well known today, but who really wouldn't be half as hooked up in the game as they are now without help from that dude. But again, c'est la vie, you can't expect people not to act like people.

i dont think there has yet been a book on monikers exclusively. Hoping freight trains in america by duffy littlejon is probably the closest but again, thats more about riding trains than streaks. freight train graffiti is probably the most comprehensive book on aerosol freight train graffiti to date.