backjumps

akewone

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

What you are talking about is called "slack action." If your train is "live" (made up to power--a "unit" or maybe several units, for road power) you hear the air brakes hissing slowly like ssssssSSSSS and then creaking and squeaking noises from the brakes, the hogger is "airing up" and is preparing to pull, within minutes. Usually, before a train pulls, the conductor walks the train, checking for dragging gear, brake hose supports and so on. This would be a good time to be WELL HIDDEN and very quiet. If you are standing there writing your masterpiece when the conductor strolls up, he will be pretty annoyed. Bring bail money.

If you hear a great big SWOOSH of air, they just set the brakes and the train probably won't be moving for a while. This SWOOOSH is called "breaking the air" (disconnecting the air brakes of the train from it's compressor source on the unit) and is usually a sign they are dropping off cars on the head end, or it could mean you're sidetracked for a while. It kind of depends on the circumstances and what track your train is on.

Why would you be painting on live trains anyway?

I prefer the term "dynamiting" for the big swoosh.

Kabar, I don't know which post you were responding to, but the original question concerned backjumps and some people don't seem to know the definition.

A backjump is when you ride a subway or passenger train to the endstation, get off, and paint it right there (typically on the non-platform side) before it resumes service in the other direction.

The term has nothing to do with freight trains.

Cracked---

Thank you, sir, for that explanation. I had never heard the term before. There are no subways in Houston, where I ive. We have light rail, but I think if anybody tried painting on a Red Line car the passengers would go ballistic.

I stand corrected. But why couldn't somebody just have explained that to Friday Nite Project? I watched and read ELEVEN sarcastic posts before answering him. I understand that the vast majority of the people on here are kids, and they love being "in the know" and putting down people who aren't on the "in", but that's really immature. But thanks for the explanation. I learn a lot of interesting stuff on 12 oz.

The other reason kids with questions in this category get clowned instead of a straight answer is because a lot of writers don't care to see information get out that makes things easier for the authorities. Especially on a topic as sensitive and risky as painting passenger trains. They figure the less the cops know, the better. In a lot of ways I agree. But I don't see a simple definition of the term backjump as causing harm. If anyone starts asking about actual spots where this can be done, they will be universally ridiculed with prejudice.