Graffiti artist sues Rockstar!

STYLEISKING

can anyone please tell me some facts on this case,where daze sues rockstar games for his graffiti work,they used in the gta game?

-much appriciated!!!

this text taken from geek.com

Says his spray paint works are in GTA 3

A graffiti artist has filed suit against Rockstar Games and Take-Two Interactive Software. The suit alleges that the companies put the graffiti artwork of Christopher Ellis (aka Daze) into Grand Theft Auto III without his permission. Ellis says his artwork has gained international fame and has been reproduced in books, magazines and films. I’m guessing all of these publications paid this guy? So, Ellis says Rockstar and Take-Two are guilty of copyright infringment. I wonder how similar the art is? It seems rather ridiculous to me. I mean why would Rockstar have to steal spray paint art?

Graffiti Artist sues GTA makers

Graffiti artist Christoper Ellis alleges that Rockstar Games copied, used and distributed his artwork, without permission, in Grand Theft Auto 3. Under the tag "Daze" Ellis has had his work showcased in numerous international publications before apparently seeing it used in the crime-sim game published by Take Two Interactive.

dazeportrait.jpg

daze5.jpg

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dood reminds me of some lazy ass trying to sue people for dumb shit like hillbillys do.. I mean making a living of graffiti no wonder he has to sue people, fuckin bum. Isnt the point of graff so your shit gets seen why the fuck is he complainin oh yeah he broke...

Rockstar should counter sue with "Hey you brillo pad fuckhead with the jerry curl he stole from the jackson 5. You write daze which is coincedentally one of the most common names in graff. Either change your name or sue brillo pad for mass producing your hair as an effective cleaning scrub"

dood reminds me of some lazy ass trying to sue people for dumb shit like hillbillys do.. I mean making a living of graffiti no wonder he has to sue people, fuckin bum. Isnt the point of graff so your shit gets seen why the fuck is he complainin oh yeah he broke...

Actually you have no clue of what you're talking about. Daze does quite well with his work globally. He has been in the game probably longer than you've been alive and deserves to get paid for them taking his images without consent because most of his work is in fact copywritten these days due to him being a professional artist.

The law on shit that is painted on walls doesn't work that way. The person who owns the picture is the only one within his or her rights to sue.

Not true. Paramount pictures made me sign off on rights to use my walls when they filmed Spider Man 3 in my city. I'm no expert on the matter but I know I was contacted in regards to using my work.

this is gay.....

graffiti cannot be copyrighted...(even though some writers paint the little copyright logo next to their shit...it doesnt mean anything)

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh dont tell them the truth....

I dont know who cares, kids an art school homo if you ask me....

Still, I give props to him for doing his thing back in the day....

But still, no doubt holding it down like an art school homo....

Don't go abusing me because you think differ, obviously that makes you an art school homo.

Art school homos like to gang bang, so I will know you are an art school homo.

I don't even remember there being specific pieces of graffiti in GTA3.

They must of sat there for days on end playing it, blazed off their faces and found it.

I hope he loses, it will send a stern message to art school homos.

Time to go find another thread.

hahaha

Simple case of broke ass writers trying to cash in!!

If it was some small indy company Daze would've been cool with them repping his shit but because its Rockstar he sees green.

I wonder if he can be charged with all his past throw ups he did if he's exposing himself as a writer and feels his pieces should be copyrighted?

102. Subject matter of copyright: In general26

(a) Copyright protection subsists, in accordance with this title, in original works of authorship fixed in any tangible medium of expression, now known or later developed, from which they can be perceived, reproduced, or otherwise communicated, either directly or with the aid of a machine or device. Works of authorship include the following categories:

(1) literary works;

(2) musical works, including any accompanying words;

(3) dramatic works, including any accompanying music;

(4) pantomimes and choreographic works;

(5) pictorial, graphic, and sculptural works;

(6) motion pictures and other audiovisual works;

(7) sound recordings; and

(8) architectural works.

(b) In no case does copyright protection for an original work of authorship extend to any idea, procedure, process, system, method of operation, concept, principle, or discovery, regardless of the form in which it is described, explained, illustrated, or embodied in such work.

It's tricky, but he's got a case. It will be hard to prove that his work was not in the public domain, but a good lawyer could probably get him some cash, though it probably won't be a ton of money. He's gonna screw up writers getting shine in a lot of video games though.

Also, whoever said something about this guy changing his name, learn your history. This guy is the reason all those other "_ AZE'S" should be changing THEIR names.

Rockstar should counter sue with "Hey you brillo pad fuckhead with the jerry curl he stole from the jackson 5. You write daze which is coincedentally one of the most common names in graff. Either change your name or sue brillo pad for mass producing your hair as an effective cleaning scrub"

:lol::lol::lol: