was my dad a writer?

my finger

My dad grew up in nyc. he's about 52 now but he lived in nyc when he was a teen through his late 20's. he was in an art group that did legal and illegal public murals, not graffiti. his untensil of choice was ait brush and to this day, his profesional job is painting murals, with airbrush. he showed me some pictures of a project where he was hired to paint some semi trucks. among some of the desings on the trucks, one was the locomotive of a train, that took up the whole truck, and he free-handed it. what i'm gathering is that he's good at that kind of art. the tip to graff, is that he has a newspaper article on his wall in his studio that he has had since before i was born. it's from NY times and is about LEE, DONDI, and FUTURA 2000, and has 6 flixs (2 from each) of some trains. Am i just wishing he was a writer? or is this valid enough proof? and if i ask him, am i just incriminating myself? what would you do?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

..wow........that reminds me of my issue of art communications.............my uncle is in advertsing and is retiring and gave me all kinds of old art comm mags and books..................i seen those levi's adds and that shit is dope........

That's rad!!!! Talk to him about it and ask him what he thinks of it because he obviously has enough interest in it to where he is open minded to begin with so just tell him about your interest in it! I'm sure he'll super cool with it........... Fuck man , get your dad on here to tell us about the subways and shit!!!

dude, my advice is to learn a bit, or actually a bunch, about each of those writers, then go school your dad, start casual bout how you read the article and liked the artists and you did a bit more research and by this time, if he's down, he'll be like 'damn, tell me more!" and if he's not he'll say "whateverthefuckhesayswhenhe'smad

"illegal public murals" sounds like graff to me. if he was around back then, there's a good chance that he's jaded about it now. if your not amazing at graff, don't approach him about it yet. wait till you get really good, then start talking. there's a good chance he'll be enthusiastic about his son son dong graff.

Originally posted by bug

"illegal public murals" sounds like graff to me. if he was around back then, there's a good chance that he's jaded about it now. if your not amazing at graff, don't approach him about it yet. wait till you get really good, then start talking. there's a good chance he'll be enthusiastic about his son son dong graff.

Parents normally encourage there kids so I would figure that you should approach him and inquire atleast!!

maybe this is just with my dad but if I came straight out and said Did you do Graffiti? Even if he had he would probably say no. I would try to smooth into it. Get kind of buddy-buddy about, start the male bonding thing, then when you feel comfortable give him a question about it.

If your dad has been into art his whole life and is still doing it then it seems that it would be a safe subject to talk about with him. If he airbrushes and paints murals it seems like it would be hard for him to not appreciate the graffiti movement. Maybe he was just a fan of the artform and did some here and there... or maybe he's still out rockin'.

"It's 2:30 in the morning, Do you know where your Dad is?"

ive never read anything so retarded...

if your dad got it on his wall then ask him about it!

that thing with the 6 pictures is from the village voice 1980

thats so fucking rare id go steal it from your goddam house if i knew

where u lived!!!!

your dad has graffup on his wall and has shown you murals...

if that article is from before you were born then your younger than 20

im assuming that if you think your dad was a writer

then you must be buggin if you think your dad has no fuckin clue

of your activities...hes gonna be like ya of course i knew and pull

out a old can of marsh and show you how to make a real mop!

if your lucky he'll give you some outlines!

I was goion through some of my moms old school work and noticed she used to doodle the name les all the time. I asked her about it and she said she had always been interested in it but never made anything of it. I think that's why she down with me doin it.

Peace

Originally posted by Big Mac

I was goion through some of my moms old school work and noticed she used to doodle the name les all the time. I asked her about it and she said she had always been interested in it but never made anything of it. I think that's why she down with me doin it.

Peace

shut up dork. les is probably your real daddy, motherfucker

Guest ctrl+alt+del

dude, stop being a pussy and ask your dad. and if you already did you owe it to us to post what he said, seeing as how you already involved us in this shit.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, i finally asked my dad after seeing a "No-Graffiti" poster. He just said, "No, we only painted pictures, and we didn't use spray cans, just air brushes and regular brushes." I was dissapointed but, at least he did illegal art and tells me good stories about it.

Ok, a story...

A building was being painted by some hired painters. They were just painting it one color, like most buildings. The painters stopped work each day at 4:45 pm. My dad and his "team" had a scaffolding company deliver scaffolding at 5:00 and worked threw the night. They painted the building as to look like it wasn't there (whatever actually existed on the other side was painted on the viewing side. in other words, the existing landscape was painted onto the building) not a super exciting story, but an intersting one, none the less. they also did a series of semi-trucks. Here is a train that he free-handed

__hr_DSCF0008.jpg

Archived