Abstracts

Bojangles

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

my girlfriend said she didnt like them, which just reiterated why i never show my stuff to anyone.

when you make senseless, pointless work, it's nor surprising when people don't get it.

maybe ill put together a one man traveling show. joker, ill mail them to you, you can hang them in your bathroom and charge admission for a month.

photo-1.jpg

please give me some crits.

I'll be honest with you 100%, I don't like this. It looks really lazy to me. It looks like you just used water colors and let them run. I think if you did more with this and used it as your background or something, it woud work, but as it stands alone it looks really lazy.

I'm not trying to be a dick or anything either. I just think that whole KR "I'm going to let shit drip" stuff is boring and useless on it's own now.

Just my 2 cents. They aren't even worth that though.

thanks for the opinion. It's not water color though its all acrylic. And it was more about the application method. I only used paper towels, no brushes. So I was kind of testing the waters with that.

And as far as drips go in my opinion, they are not played out in the larger world of art. But since everyone on here is a graff head we see them all the time. But most who don't think about graffiti consistently are not aware.

However I do agree it looks unfinished. I don't really know what the next step is though.

yeah something is definitely missing.

photo-1.jpg

so this was my first shot at this. its 8x24 inches. i used acrylics but not a single brush. i call it mountains and waterfall. please give me some crits.

dude thats some dope shit. you should do some more but use that as a background, and then put some cool shit over top of it.

Complex, I think it's a cool start, but I have to agree with everyone else that it does look unfinished. Like Grin said, it could serve as a really cool background for something on top..... or maybe building more colors on it.. or even different values of red (red to dark red?) might bring out the overall piece more. I think what it's lacking is some contrast on the top... you have a focal point on the bottom which is cool, but my eye wants to see something else going on on top of the solid area on top. If that makes sense?

Also, thinking of displaying.. it would look interesting if it was sideways... a gradient from the reds to the drips..then the white part of the canvas? We are so used to seeing a drip coming from top to bottom.. the direction you hang this piece could change the overall look and feel of it. :)

My two cents.

I teach first and second year art/design students and I see a lot of experimental pieces like this.. and I think it's a good starting point.. with the whole mixed media/techniques and all.. and I'm always pushing them to take it to that next level!

wonk

saggin

• Like 1

bojangles,i like the solid shapes, overlapping and the focal point

a different ratio of clean/bold and loose lines, well done

complex, good start, i'd try blending the colors with more paint and layer a little more, maybe apply the paint directly on the canvas and see how you can work with it

Mrjago killin it!