Abstracts

Bojangles

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
How do you afford all these frames?! Secret hookup?

No secret really. I'm a picture framer by trade. (And I work for a major retail framing company.) Something comes in with a minor defect or 1/4" off and it's all mine! We do so much business with the distributors, they tell me to keep it and send me a new one.

Earl... have you ever considered working in layers? I used to draw out pieces and then use a sheet of velum over it to rework the piece. And then again to rework the reworked. Oddly, I never noticed how interesting the layers were till way after the fact. Looking at your ink drawing... I could see layers working really well with that style. Maybe even each layer being a different color and a slightly different line weight. I don't know... just thinking "out loud".

Bo... you know I like that piece, already. The composition is perfect. Seriously, well done, sir.

It's looking like a show in Vancouver BC with Kofie, Remi Rough and Sueme is a go for March. Stoked...

• Like 1

I was thinking of doing that Joker. I took a couple classes last year and one of them was a marker rendering class. It focused more on advertising renderings, but it left me with this 17X14 pad of marker and tracing paper. The class taught us how to trace and then re-trace, and so on. So I was thinking of retracing that and cleaning it up.

But with you talking about using velum and layers with color, that opens up a whole new way to go. I'm going to try that out. I'll post the finished work in 6 months. haha

Congrats on the show in Vancouver. That's a real nice line up, post photos if you can.

if you don't tattoo, don't design tattoos. imo.

my thoughts. If i was a tattooer I would design them and do them. But I dont think I could just draw something for some to put on their body if it wasnt my job to do so.

If a friend or a client likes my designs, says "hey I want you to draw me a tattoo"

I'm not going to turn down an opportunity to get my shit stuck to someones body for the rest of their life.

^^^^^^

Tattoos are entirely different than anything else in the art realm. If you arnet a tattooist/havent been trained by tattooist you should probably not design tattoos. Obviously you can doodle up your ideas and say "hey i want something like this", but in the end the tattooist will re-interpret them and needs to get the final say. yeahh.

Edit: i dont tattoo at all I have just heard this over and over.

74338_460429269081_565204081_5280964_3825542_n.jpg

The Elephant In The Room

24x36

looks good bojangles. Although when I look at it all I think about is religious crosses. Were you going for something in that fashion or am I just seeing them all out of context?

:edit: Its probably because of the methodist cross having that swoosh thing next to it.

To give someone a doodle to get tattooed and to draw a tattoo while understanding how it will be layered and tattooed are completely different. I really don't think it's necessary to be a tattoo artist or be trained in order to sketch someone a tattoo. Understand it will look a little different and in the end it comes down to the tattoo artists ability to replicate the drawing.

I really just meant my statement from an artists pov. I have a hard time evening finishing something most of the times let alone not craving to go back and change it once its "finished." SO being overly critical of my own work Id hate to make something I did permanent on someone elses body. I love the style of art tattooing is yet I dont and will never have one.

It's looking like a show in Vancouver BC with Kofie, Remi Rough and Sueme is a go for March. Stoked...

damn i wish i could go, i really like heaps of paintings by all those guys, you included. for me, going to that show would be like going to a really awesome concert.

sometimes it sucks living on a giant island