Abstracts

Bojangles

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Sorry, haven't been in here for a while and I've kinda lost the momentum in regards to the digital issue, but I wanted to share a few things created digitally...

A comp for a book cover...

Image-EA24EDEC5DD411DA.jpg

Collaboration with Tim Daley...

Image-EA24FD4D5DD411DA.jpg

No reason for this one, was just messing around with Illustrator...

Image-EA3AA2525DD411DA.jpg

Same with this one...

Image-EA3AB72D5DD411DA.jpg

One of the things I've done that I'm actually proud of...

Image-FA6238925DD711DA.jpg

not to belittle the work in the center, but the outside border and the hand in the corner fucking kill.

actually, the whole thing is super solid, but without the border, i dont know...it wouldn't kill as effectively or as completely. feeling it.

its too bad that the world as a whole will never get to see your collection of black books. sitting on KOH's floor in portland and going through them was honestly a life changing sort of experience.

Man. That sketch is nice, is that recent. Ive never seen such a smoothness in your hand meaning the sweeping line is nice, im more used to the hard edge lines more like the boxes. I like it aalot. And those small canvases are the shit, as soon as soon as i paint my house im gonna make a shrine to you and will have to commission some work. Im will be making my house a gallery with small benches and all.

some of those are really dope.

something that is bananas to me, and i dont know what to make of it exactly: as id scroll down and look at those, on a lot of them, i could instantly read the letters, but after a couple seconds, id start to lose them, and it would be much more vague and confusing. of course this speaks to the minds perceptibility, not your sketches, but you get the point.

anyway, thanks.

i need to start producing some shit again. its time to get busy.

its too bad that the world as a whole will never get to see your collection of black books. sitting on KOH's floor in portland and going through them was honestly a life changing sort of experience.

How did I miss this the first time I read your post?

Thank you, Seeking! That means a shit-load. There was a time when I spent more energy and effort into my blackbook work than anyone should. The payoff was ten fold though. It gave the chance to delve further into ideas and lines that I would easily pass up for something more time saving, on a wall. But you're right, it is a shame that stuff like that gets tucked away in a storage box and never gets looked it. There was a time when I really wanted to mentor someone and teach them all I knew and learned... and then eventually give them my blackbooks. That's what my mentor did with me and it just made sense to do that with whomever I mentored. I never gave myself that chance and now I just don't have the will, energy, time and most importantly the want to mentor anyone. The blackbooks have been packed away in a box for almost three years now. I haven't even had the desire to flip through them.

Maybe I should put them on ebay...

Ebay was a joke, of course. I would hand them over to someone before putting them up for auction like that. I wish there was a way to do an art show where people could flip through blackbooks. I'd be afraid the books would disappear though.

KOH has some impressive books as well...

I've seen an exhibition where sketchbooks were put into little glass cases with two handholes, so that might be a thought... otherwise a couple of hours spent with a scanner might work too. I would probably commit several large felonies to get my hands on those books, but there's definitely someone a lot more deserving who they'll end up with..

indeed he does.

black books are super undervalued now a days. even in the short (although i guess not all that short anymore) span of my career, they went from being a coveted item to something almost seen as a sign of fraudulence. i wish i could have started 5 years sooner, in a more writer populated area.

shoulda, woulda, coulda.

i started in 94, so it's not like i'm johnny come lately, but still. there was a huge transformation that took place in the early 90's. it would have been nice to have been surrounded by older heads during that time, instead of fumbling around by myself behind krogers and under bridges.

(no homo, of course)

What is it about Art that makes us hate it some much but cant live without and not being able to truly give it up. I know we say we hate this and that, but we continue to move forward. Its a paradox that i sometimes try to find a place for in my ideas.

Just like the sketch above So many people will never really, i know they say yeah thats nice. That is a awesome sketch. But a couple of us in here know how much, how many years and countless obstacles he has faced to still be able to continue to do this kind of work.

Im not just talking about joker, but most of the people in here in general. I know for some of us its not our cup of tea anymore and that the phase has passed. But something about the movement of a line, when and where to stop. Its something that i would hope many more people would actually be able to see.

Like Joker talks about a mentor, i think the time has passed for us but were still young maybe someone will step up and further the thoughts. Why is that we fight ourselves so much i hear it in all your voices, and its kinda hard to see why.

Im not sure what the reasons will ever be to continue to draw or paint or sketch, but the need is always there. Even after everything i have accomplished financially in my life i still am taken back to my youth, and those ideas. I feel like i dont want to grow up, but i think there will someday be a reason. Who knows.

On a more positive note, i am in the process of getting my Giclee printer up and running again after 3 years. So lets see what i can do with it.

Thats where this post kinda started in my head. WHat does one do with a printer, when everyone is so against Art in general. Why reproduce it. But im sure i will find uses.

KOH... That drawing is part of a three piece series that I did for a show in LA. I gave them to a friend who helped me build a web site (which I never use, update or even know the URL to anymore ) because I wanted to give him something for all his help and for being kind enough to do the work for free. I miss the drawings as they were some of my favorite pieces but they went to a very good home.

Poesia... I think for most artists there is this mind within the mind that has all these creative passions and ideas. These ideas need to get out. And there's always the constant battle with the ideas and what they mean, how to interpret them. It's a daily struggle, that as an artist, gets old after time. I've come to hate the struggle but at the same time I love the result. Even a bad piece holds meaning. Imagine if you had all the ideas you had but you never drew or painted... that's just no good.

Get that printer up and running and do some experiments!

ill wait till you guys do yours, then i'll do an awful version that's sort of similar, but lacks all the small nuances that makes your guys good, it'll cause a shit storm of controversy, everyone involved will get really annoyed at the whole situation and quit participating.

basically it'll be like 2001....again. i'm in.

;)