Abstracts

Bojangles

I've browsed through the that last few pages. I'm curious as to some of your feelings on the following Dali quote " We are all hungry and thirsty for concrete images. Abstract art will have been good for one thing: to restore its exact virginity to figurative art. " Do any of you give validity to the first line?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

which first line? that we all thirst for concrete images? i think we all thirst for things we can relate to, i doubt most people would intentionally limit their search to a finite criteria. as for the rest, that abstract art is only good for restoring the virginity of figurative art, im honestly not sure i understand what he means. that abstract art will eventually go so far that it cancels itself out, thus bringing about a revival of figurative art? if that is indeed his point, i'd almost say the opposit. abstract art ushered in the idea that art neednt be contained within the confines of accepted 'form', something like that can never be pushed back inside a small box and resealed. i think dali kind of needed to feel that way, as do all figurative painters, to justify their existence. to explain why their laborious effort can not be undone by a single brush stroke.

then again, i really know dick all about art, so who knows.

i would think in times of war, people would be more drawn to figurative stuff. in times of confusion and chaos, people want answers and leaders and safety and to be told what to think. none of which are the selling points of abstract.

not saying that im right, just seems to make more sense to me.

i would think in times of war, people would be more drawn to figurative stuff. in times of confusion and chaos, people want answers and leaders and safety and to be told what to think. none of which are the selling points of abstract.

not saying that im right, just seems to make more sense to me.

I don't know, I think it really depends on the painting. After spending a day reading about / discussing Iraq... the last thing I want to do is go look at Goya etchings or Rothko's black paintings. Although I think a painting from Diebenkorns 'ocean park' or one of Thiebaud's cakes would totally lift my spirits.

I'll post some photos later tonight.

seeks was that what you were talking about?

being art fag and getting your legs done?

in that pic at first i thought you got a grease stain from your bike.

but then seeing the design i took a double take.

uh thats pretty fucking rad.

im curious how are you describing this to people that havent seen the pic?

id guess youd just tell them they had to wait and see it because its impossible to describe.

there was this one artist that paid prostitutes to tattoo a single line across their whole back for

like $100 i am not good with names and his escapes me but it reminds me of that but

yours is 1000 times better.

/no bromo

thanks guys.

yeah, i realize it looks like grease stains. i knew going into it that it wouldnt make sense to most people, i'm cool with that. it's one of those things thats so personal, it doesn't really matter if it makes sense. usually i think tattoos that are so cryptic or vague are kind of gay, but since it's me, the rules dont apply.

well i think thats the cool thing about it.

your brain says hey dude got in some gnarly bike accident

but then you realise its a tattoo and then im sure the next thing people think is why?

perhaps there is no why, or what.

thats whats rad. atleast to me.

i'm glad to have stumbled from channel zero to this thread...

awesome. poesia. bojangles. seeking.

since joining the army i've unfortunately really been pulled from art itself, into a fairly destructive and indifferent existance type of lifestyle. been a long while since an image has moved me (outside of the tattoo world). thanks.

seeks: your legs, fucking cool.

my side: (sorry for quality)

1346730729_l.jpg