Abstracts

Bojangles

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Thanks Port-A-John.

I actually owkred on this one for the past 3 days, half an hour here and there. Im not sure if anyone has noticed the horse head yet. Maybe because the pictures arent that great. I will see if I can get a better pic up soon. I hate to start something and walk away from it. ESPECIALLY art of anykind but Im trying to get used to it. Hopefully this new one has came into my own style somewhat.

I really shouldn't chime in on this because I don't submit work myself but I'm going to defy my own reservations and give my input...

Personally I think the horse head seems "gimmicky" and in no way adds anything to the overall. The mere fact that you had to call it out kinda struck me. This is just a personal feeling.

Looking at the piece from left to right I really like the first ten inches to the left (no homo) of the entire piece. I'm not saying the whole thing should look like that but that section came out great. I feel like the the rest of the painting, from the vertical sweeping tan line to the right, isn't done. I get what you were going for but it doesn't look finished. I like the layering you've created with the section to the left and it seems like if you could find a way to do that with the section to the right, with just fading... it would look more complete. I'm probably way off base and not making myself clear. I think if you look at the fades in the layered left section of the painting they're really soft layers/fades. And on the right side of the painting, not so much... they're a little more defined. I think that's why I feel like it's unfinished. Looking at the piece on the screen... hold your hand over the right side of the piece so you only see the left side, now hold your hand over the left side and look at the right. It's not the same feel at all.

Critique over. All typed with good intention.

Thanks for the input Joker. Im not offended at all, there is some golden advice in there. I think I will take a crack at the right side maybe tonight and give some balance to the overall piece. To tell you the truth this is my least favorite piece I have done so far. I mean I do like it but it just seems a bit awkward to me. There was alot of experimenting that came with this one.

As far as the horse head goes that was another experiment with background to draw some small detail into the piece. But with the 2 different styles it doesnt seems to make sense. It should have been one or the other. Lesson learned.

I will most likely be doing a few more this week. I will hope to hear more feedback from you Joker, as well as all the others.

i've been digging this thread regularly for over a year now and have enjoyed a huge amount of the work posted and have been introduced to a massive amount of abstract art that i had never seen before, having previously admired more obvious abstract artists. it's been incredibly inspiring.

however, i've never felt that i ever had anything of value to contribute work-wise or word-wise. i just do graf really, my work isn't yet abstract enough, or good enough, to post in here. but i'm hoping in due course that it will become so.

anyway, the reason i've decided to stop lurking- poesia, i gotta see the rest of that wall man, it looks dope as hell!

Post some pics. You have nothing to lose. My stuff isnt that special but I still post everything I do. The advice you get in return is priceless and is actually from credible amazing artists not just a bunch of randoms hating on letters.

poesia, that wall is incredible. not hating in any way, i think that the horseman and the planet are amazing, and probably on any other wall i would love them, but without 'em on this one, that would be one on my favourite ever productions. that's just my well-intentioned opinion...

fuck it, now that i've popped my 'abstracts' thread cherry i'll post somethin... any and all opinions and advice are welcome.

this is some stuff done over the last two or so years, most of my output is more traditional graf. i'm not entirely happy with any of them, but each have things that i do like and would like to improve and expand upon-

(apologies for sizing)

3515366892_8fee311371_o.jpg

3630618284_ac62550897_o.jpg

3553436031_50eb5e8207_b.jpg

3554242080_d7943bb2bc.jpg

• Like 1

I definitely see the potential for abstraction in your letters Myne, but to me they still feel like just pieces. The "N" and the "E" in the second photo hold the strongest potential to build into an abstract style for me.

I would lose the traditional, almost obligatory "Graffiti canvas" backgrounds though. Meaning, the streaks, swoops and splashes. Your style would be very good minimal and clean in my opinion.

thanks bojangles, that's greatly appreciated... as i said, i've never posted before for the very reason that it is very traditional and it's a boundary i feel determined to break. having admired so much on this thread i just wanted to come out of the woodwork, and any advice or criticism is greatly valued. cheers!

• Like 1

i'll just leave this here. dope stairs btw.

“What exactly do the vectors represent?”

“They don’t represent anything. They are just themselves—embodied energy.”

“They contain energy?”

“Yes. Can’t you see it?”

“I see white lines on a black surface.”

“Tell me, what do you see when you look at that building? Bricks, windows, metal, glass?”

“Yes.”

“That’s all?”

“Yes.”

“Ah, then that’s the problem. You can’t see energy, just its effects.”

……..

“The vectors contain the energy that it took to make them. It is a measurable amount of energy, but it has not yet been measured. It consists of physical energy, intellectual and emotional energy. Certainly we will be able to measure it by its effects, if and when there are any.”

“So, then, the vectors are a form of energy?”

“Yes, that is what they are.”

“Well, there’s nothing new there. Any drawing, any word or act has the potential to have an effect. All you’re doing is seeing it differently.”

“Exactly!”

http://lebbeuswoods.wordpress.com/2009/06/05/architecture-of-energy/

No I think Im leaving the bottom one as is. That fade is my favorite part I think. The background there is white and the paint I used for the longer lines looks white but is actually a light minty green. So when the lines go all the way on that left side the lines almost seems to change color.

The top one is a hard bass with distortion and long guitar chords and the bottom one is a jazz symbol crash as I see them. If you dont know what I'm talking about read back a few pages.