Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bojangles

Abstracts

i like them, just try to respect the "integrity" of each thread--this is for abstracts, there is another for oils, and another for general 'critique my shit"...

i think that first one definitely deserves to be in here, i like that the most. i like the drop shadows you used in it. as mr. fist said, keep to the thread, and you won't get shit from people. post more of you abstracts in here though.

antique.jpg

is it just me or is there lettering in the background on the top and bottom of the page...

Diebenkorn is amazing. I find his work very moving in person. The use of color and layer was very forward for the time period. Although I am a bit biased. My first real painting teacher introduced me to the Ocean Park series when I was 17 and it really struck a cord. I paint nothing like RD, but I love the idea of an exposed under painting. His figurative work doesn't get as much shine.... but it should. I always thought Wayne Thiebaud was the opaque version of Diebenkorn.

WayneThiebaudDarkCones.jpg

7166922_42c7b3fe9b.jpg

yeah the california abstract artists were touched on in my younger years Nathan Oliveira was my favorite from that school of Art.

artwork_images_715_148587_nathan-oliveira.jpg

figure%20I_good.jpg

artwork_images_146_350447_nathan-oliveira.jpg

artwork_images_142103_291979_nathan-oliveira.jpg

I sorta like these for some reason, they seem to be too well executed and may lack enough assertion to chaos yet they somehow still grab me a bit.

Patrick Hill

329236.jpg

2292743944_51d7a6f22b.jpg?v=1203984363

those last couple look like you'd see them in a dentists office.

i like the idea, but the execution seems very...clinical.

moogle,

it was drawn on the back of an oversized novelty ten dollar bill.

shit, that's fresh.

so the other day i'm wandering around the Tate, in london, cause you know, i do shit like ball outrageous. anyway, i check out half of it, don't care for anything, then from way across the room i spot was i believe to be a twombly. personally, i dont really care for his stuff, but i know beardo does, so i atleast have a cursory understanding of it. anyway, i checked em out, and decided i liked 1 of the 3 they had.

we then go down to the bookstore, where i look at some random artist books, puzzels, crayon sets, lawnchairs and anything else they can attempt to market.

me: 'yo, can we please go now? art fucking gay.'

not me: 'of course'

me: 'cool, we gotta find a bathroom first'

not me: 'ok, i think if we take that escalator, thats the floor we came in on, and there's bathrooms there'

me: 'um, we just passed the floor we came in on. quick, jump'

not me: 'shut up'

me: (turning towards the top of the excalador, looking at whats ahead) 'holy fuck'

not me: 'what?'

three rooms filled with abstract work, the first of which, which is visible from the escalotor, has two giant newmans. as corny as it is, i was like a giddy fucking kid. i just stood there, staring that them. im not sure what sort of magical experience i was expecting, but it was pretty rad. i dont believe ive ever seen one 'in real life'. i may have at the philly museum, but it was before i really fully appreciated it, so it doesnt count (like going to another country when you're 3). i fully plan to go back alone so i can spend more time geeking out on them. perhaps ill remember to get photos.

in addition to that, they also had an entire rothko room, filled with paintings that were not the gay ass 3 stripe paintings he's so famous for that i dont like very much at all. these werent exactly my favorite either, but they were huge and no 3 striped, and that made me like them. there was also a clyfford still wich i was stoked on, cause he's another favorite of mine.

anyway, that's my contribution to the 'abstract thread' for the week. and probably the month. im not really in any position to be doing any painting, so unfortunately it's gonna have to wait. i am however balling outrageous, so fuck it. conscessions get made.

Thought I'd add to this thread, not really on the same level as most of the abstract work in here and I wouldn't know who those people Seeking spoke about are. I'm experimenting with some abstract on paper, I never really knew colors just got lucky a few times. Trying to get this style worked out before I hit a canvas.

OhyoumadcauseImstylinonyou.jpg

Damn seeks way to make me feel like shit for not being able to see an exhibit like that. When in Spain i had to settle for the Picasso museum and pre-columbian art. Not as kick ass as a Rothko or Newman, and a Still to cap it off. Fuck nice post.

/YesJely

Nice Merc. Try a study with same style where you break up the designs for composition purposes or increase the decrease some shapes. I like the idea, but i think it needs some more composition meaning, it looks to uniformed to me like a design or wallpaper. Nice design or print, but breaking it up a bit will really bring that line work out.

But nice, sorry if its too technical.

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now