Abstracts

Bojangles

^well said.

I think of art like I think of music in a way. I hear music and it relays to me as a moving ribbon of color and shape. So when I see art, especially abstract, I feel a certain mood when seeing a certain compostition of either color or shape. I guess Im seeing art and music somewhat the same way.

I have a hard time relaying cetain shapes to sound or art but what I have been able to figure out so far is that art, in my head, usually remains static or moves slowly and gracefully. When I hear music I like its a moving ribbon almost like a equalizer. There is sparatic changes in color,pattern and shape.

Personally abstract art seems like a photograph of the thing I see when I listen to music I like. Although Im not yet able to look at a picture and tell myself what song Im looking at I can look at a painting and make a melody from it, or a jingle if you will. Looking at certain colors I follow them usually from lightest to darkest and compare them to sounds. So the darkest colors are usually drums or bass/cello or any low sounding instrument. these colors are usually dark blues or greens. Black has no sound to me, its just background. Purple or pink colors are like keyboard,pianao,xylophone or triangle. Lime greens and yellows come across as electronic sort of sounds. Light blues come to me as guitar or any lead instrument. Red are symbols like on a drum set. To me I can see them just exploding and being over every other sound. Some pictures I look at I like because they are comlpex in nature with lots of layers and blending together, just like any good song. The human brain craves spotaneity. Although I still do enjoy a minimal abstract painting because the sounds are more clear and seem to come across with more meaning. Although the sounds I see in a minimal painting are not any special sound, they seem to have a purpose.

Abstracts are not only limited to sounds but movements. When I see a certain form or shape I can see myself moving either ducking or leaning when seeing them. Why?, I have no idea.

My most pleasing abstracts to look at are Bojangles paintings. Jokers are good too but they seem to be very shrill sounding to me with minimal variety in sound. Still I love Jokers work and hes definitley one of my favs. Bojangles seems to be smooth sounding and more what I see when hearing music.

I have really started to dive into how I see things and started to paint my own abstracts. Like I mentioned before Bojangles work is a very close representation of what I see when hearing music so as a result my work seems strangely like his. Im no biter but thats the way it is. I do do things a little differently and things arent as smooth though. There are main lines as well as seconday and phantom lines to sort of animate the changes of shape I see. So its like a gif of what I see. I will post some pics and hopefully not get flamed out for copying Bojangles work.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

They look good in terms of form and color. Actually great...but sadly I'm probably saying that because they do in fact, look a lot like mine.

I see you have the raw talent.

Now you need to find yourself. Your thing.

If it helps your direction at all...The first one looks the most original.

The bottom two, I can actually tell you are inspired by (from top to bottom) "Inherent traits:skateboard deck" and "At War With yellow"

The top one doesn't jump out at me quite as quick.

For you're first 3 paintings ever, you're on the right track, especially if you're still young, meaning not some 30 plus dude. /nopedo

I'd definitely like to see consistent updates from you but take some time to follow the links in the earlier pages of this thread for inspiration, and also check out the "Untitled" thread in Brickslayers as well.

Again, hopefully you view all that I'm saying as constructive criticism.

Like I said before they do look like yours. You are the inspiration for me even beginning to paint at all. I paint what I like and so far your "style" has been the only one that has really appealed to me.

I think before I begin to really find my style I want to try a few other known styles, just to become well rounded in a few different ways of thinking artistically. I will definitley keep updating as much as I can.

I aprreciate you having the courtesy and understanding to not shit all over me for ripping off your style. But like you said immitation is the best form of flattery. Im greatful.

• Like 1

Thanks Daddy Screw

Bojangles, I will definitley work on my own style and see if I can bring something new to this thread. Like I said I will try to keep my updates current so you can see my progress. I plan on doing another this weekend sometime.

I also had a question for you Bojangles, about how long would you say one of your paintings takes to do?. I find myself doiong one in only a few hours. Although I am happy with the end result it alsmost feels rushed. But then again there is not a terribly large amount of detail associated with the stuff I have done so far.

I also took a look through this entire thread as well as the "untitled" thread in brickslayers and there is some good inspiration there. Thanks again.

They used to get done in about 2 hours, give or take, in one shot.

With the later pieces though, I've been finding myself walking away after a half hour, and then coming back in several sessions for the same amounts of time over a day or two.

I like to do that these days because each day is different in terms of how I'm feeling about colors, shapes etc. and brings new layers of work to the table.

I dont do abstracts alot but i do these little things once in awhile, i call them Satallite..i dunno, i've posted bigger ones before. This one is tiny, what do you guys think?

100_0225_15.jpg

I used this when we did our 'emulate another abstract artist from this thread' challenge.