Abstracts

Bojangles

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Bojangles, Im sure you've been asked this before but how often do you paint? Everytime I check this thread (I havent in a minute but...) you have something new within a few days between your posts. Im trying to do the same but I fall short. Its hard, I guess im not as easily motivated but once I start something and I actually like what Im doing than Im good to go. Anyway, keep it up; I like it all and its good this thread is still around. Ill contribute some day.

huh.jpg

i dont know where else to put this.

ive been doing this exercise for lack of a better word lately , drawing these noodle knots with micron pens and trying to keep them going till some organic shape grows out. *shrug its kind of mastubatory honestly. mindless drawing. i started doing em to try and make my line quality better, but i dont think its doing that, now i just like drawing them while watching tv or before i pass out.

carry on being amazing fucking pioneers of art (no sarcasm) and ill be over here doodling on scrap paper for the rest of my life.

Bojangles, Im sure you've been asked this before but how often do you paint? Everytime I check this thread (I havent in a minute but...) you have something new within a few days between your posts. Im trying to do the same but I fall short. Its hard, I guess im not as easily motivated but once I start something and I actually like what Im doing than Im good to go. Anyway, keep it up; I like it all and its good this thread is still around. Ill contribute some day.

Dude, I'm psychotic about it and have to force myself to take time off. On a "busy" week, I paint 7 days a week. I'm trying to get down to twice a week so I don't burn myself out.

Honestly, painting (canvas, murals, graffiti) is all I do, all the time. Other than that, I'm a boring fucker with little to no other interests.

Well, it kinda like...

I like, no love Chinese food. I could eat it every day easily for a few weeks straight, but after awhile, I'd get sick of it and never want to see it again.

I get to the point that I just look at my paint and grunt.

Actually... if you could fill a whole page with just random graphic shapes like you've started with... that would look pretty cool. And if you could make the lines super-super sharp... I would probably cry a tear of joy.

Good idea you've started with...

thanks that's what i had in mind. but its all two point perspective so the construction lines get confusing but manageable. the thing is when you do those shapes its hard to keep adding and have rhythm as you construct. Any hints on how to maintain flow and still add on. thanks though joker.

T;6358672']Thanks Earl' date=' and Yes Joker is The Man still even though he hates to admit it.[/quote']

Poesia... that new piece is amazing. The colors are so vibrant... I love it. What brand of paint did you use on that piece?

Thanks for the nod, Earl. Yeah, I'm never going to own up to being the man. I enjoy doing what I do and pushing myself to break my own ground... I guess it's icing that I happen to break ground in our culture as well. Even though I no longer paint on the walls I still enjoy trying to be as simple and abstract as possible. You'd be amazed at how hard it is to simplify a letter down to it's core shape and make it abstract at the same time. Anyone can abstract letters but I'd say 95% of those who do lose the core shape that makes the letter recognizable. Once you do that... you've not only lost your audience but you've also made no progress.

Quick question regarding my own work -

I'm working on a limited edition book of outlines and I'm curious about something... I'm sure most of you have seen books like this before but in the ones you saw, what about them, if anything, did you like? I ask because I'm torn between showing just digital content or showing digital, sketches and canvas work.

thanks that's what i had in mind. but its all two point perspective so the construction lines get confusing but manageable. the thing is when you do those shapes its hard to keep adding and have rhythm as you construct. Any hints on how to maintain flow and still add on. thanks though joker.

The first thing that came to mind was making a pattern and just repeating it but then I think you fall slightly into the kind of stuff that Delta was doing several years ago. Another idea would be to think about showing perspective with background construction in a slightly different shade of the foreground construction.

Thanks Joker it was The New 94 Montana on rusto gloss buff.

Also im not sure if i got your question right, is it that you want feedback on all digital vs regular sketches. Ill say this what type of sketch is not as important as that it is done well digital images are just cleaner ideas of raw ideas we try to get on paper with our limited skills in my opinion. In your case your skills are alot more intune with the digital do to your clean crisp lines, but sometimes i feel digital is a way to work more ideas out faster.

Rambling but, yeah when limited editions not sure your budget but i dig layers, texture with papers and cutouts, popouts.

Here is one of my favorite designed books

"I Want to Spend the Rest of My Life Everywhere, with Everyone, One to One, Always, Forever, Now"

For being 7 years old this book still is innovative in the ideas and design if anyone hasnt checked one out i would suggest it. I had one and lost or lend it out.

2297165142_a632cee229.jpg?v=0

Hirst+want045.jpg

The reason I asked is because I've had a few people tell me to use all hand drawn images because I have this knack for making hand drawn lines almost look clean enough to be digital... and some thought that should be noticed. And a few people tell me to use a variety of images to show a process of how I go from sketch to finished product.

I'd love to do cut-outs, layers with vellum and such but this is going to be one of those online book things so I'm super limited to what can be done. I've pitched a book to just about everyone I can think of, in the business, and none of them are interested. So I'm on my own with the limited funds I have... but I want to put out something.

Thanks for the reply!

Joker, personally I'd like to see the sketches. Kema's 'Printed at Work' zine thing was entirely made up of digital recreations of some of the sketches he posted online a few years back and I remembered being blown away by his sketches at the time-- like seriously, blown away. Digital stuff doesnt really do much for me.