Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bojangles

Abstracts

saying that barnett newman would have 'progressed' to where i'm at is ridiculous. ha. i am 100% irrelivent, barnett newman changed the history of art. i appreciate it, but lets be realistic.

i started to write out exactly what the paintings are about, but decided i'll save it till after i've put up the newer ones. the reason i love work like this so much, is because of the vast expanse it offers, not because it tells a 'story' like most work. i dont want others stories, i want their emotions. i get more emotion from the way two colors come together, than from almost any image you could conjure.

Poesia,

it is indeed hard as fuck. you're esentially painting something with no begining, no end, and only a 'feeling' of completion. that 'feeling' of course is always convoluted with worries about 'did i do too much' 'did i do too little' 'is this the way it's supposed to be' 'can i stop now?' etc. i have no formal art training, and other than girlfriends, no one ever even sees my shit. i talk about it as if its worthless, because i cant imagine anyone caring about it. that doesnt bother me, i do it just for the challenge of each one, but i appreciate knowing that someone else likes the same thing. makes me feel a little less insane for slaving over something that i stick in the corner after im finished with it, and never touch again.

ive got some sculptures i did several years ago. i'll try to find pictures. they were basically metal versions of my paintings.

box2.jpg

first thing i ever did in metal. its got a green cathode light inside, that glows out through the 'tears' at the bottom. the hole was made with a plasma torch, so it has a real rough sort of feel, like a comet tour through it or something. patina is gun metaling and intentional oxidation.

box_new.jpg

this is about two and a half feet tall, a foot wide, and an inch thick. the red line is actually red glass. theres a light inside the piece that makes it glow. black is a mix of gun metaling, griffin and nero, some crazy ink i brought back from italy.

ive got a few other pieces i like a whole lot more, but im not sure where my pictures are of them. i really need to get back into metal, i kinda feel like im better/more focused wiht that, than i am with anything else i do.

that joker stuff gives me wood.

seeking, i like the metal work, especially the first one, in the photo it looks like it has a woodgrain-esque appearance, which i am a big fan of.

Haha. I said they "make me -think- of", not "they are". Don't flatter yerself, he would have done it a lot better :p Anyway, keep it up. It's definitely good

I'm somewhat depressed at the fact that abstract (especially abstract minimalism/abstract expressionism) is somewhat sidelined by most people as talentless or devoid of any kind of meaningful emotion. I'd rather stare at a Rothko, Newman or even a Mondrian over a lot of what supposed art "authorities" are currently shitting their pants over

it's unfortunate, but at the same time, the fact that its overlooked and undervalued insures that it will stay more honest, which is integral in a style that lacks a more technical criteria i think. the argument that 'anyone could do that' is valid, although obviously super over simplified. it sucks that some people might not get quite the recognition they deserve, but its not really the kind of thing you get into for recognitions sake i dont think.

i need to go track down joker and get him in here.

Since we're getting a turnout in here, I figured I'd post a few more. Really liking all the work everyone has posted above me as well. Good to see some people besides me around here aren't stuck in a one-track state of mind.

12oz.jpg

Bojangles i like the composition of those pieces the movement and the color. One thing that is bothering me about them though and it might be personal taste or lack of being personally viewing them. The paint seems a bit bland or dry. I Would like to see a bit more gloss or finished matte as those colors are so vivid. I keep catching myself looking to much at the paint rather than the painting.

Really good work though.

And Seeking im still digesting those last ones. I really dont know what to say. But good job..

Here are some pieces i crossed over till somone posts some new work.

robert_towne.jpg

Sarah Morris

s02sco1l.gif

Anselm Kiefer

sj_untitled_2005_.jpg

Sergej Jensen

e6d0b21a.jpg

Damien Hirst

The photos really flat them out Poesia. I see where you're coming from though. Most of them have a mix of sheens and textures in person due to the types of paint variants I use. I need a better camera soon I think so I can capture those subtleties.

By scrolling back after reading that, I definitely see what you're saying.

these pictures totally suck. i have no good white light in my place, and i dont feel like dragging everything downstairs and trying to get shots outside, so keep in mind that they're lacking a whole lot.

painting_cowhide.jpg

this is actually white, with some creams, tans, and browns. it looks a lot like cowhide when you see it in person. it almost looks soft, like leather. it's one of my favorite things ive done, and the first thing i finished since the ones i posted earlier.

painting_dyptich.jpg

same colors as the one above. this one also has some natural wood still in it. this isnt done, i just dnt know what to do with it. the right panel needs something, just not sure what. i kinda feel like dyptichs and tryptichs are 'cheating', in the same way that black and white photography lends itself to boring photos. that doesnt stop me from liking them alot though. all of my paintings deal with being torn apart, breaking, disecting space etc, so its natural that id like this format. still needs work though.

painting_white_red2.jpg

this is me biting clifford still a bit. this one has about 8 colors in it, and all the reds are very transparant, built up upon themselves, so it looks like coagulated blood. this also isnt done. needs a smoother transition into the white, and more transparent whites in general.

painting_black_wood.jpg

this has 6 different shades of grey woven into the black, with transparent black washing back over it. it kinda creates a depth that you'll totally miss here. the red, like the one above it, is super layerd. this one is just waiting for some sort of stain to bring out the wood grain that runs through the middle. i tried coloring it with tea, but it wasnt strong enough. this was my attempt to bite audrey kawasaki, who ive quickly come to hate.

id work on these right now, but its a million degrees too hot for painting.

I'm glad you said cowhide, cuz that was my first impression too. Didn't know how you would take it. I really like those.

I like the Top one the most as i just think those colors lead to abstract so well. Subtle color shifts in that palette create just enough of an atmosphere to complete the painting. As well as the brushstrokes giving balance to the middle.

I also like the red and white where you have left the wood showing. I’m not sure if its your environment but the color palette excluding the striped gray piece are showing some southwestern tones. It isn’t due to the rawhide look, as i wouldn’t see that immediately until you have mentioned it.

What struck me most was the subtle color movement transitioning just enough without overpowering the fields of white.

I have been painting with a lot of polyurethane that i mix in small amounts of color and completely coat a completed painting, sometimes i have to start all over but it builds surface builds depth and creates layers of transparent paint. I also use wood stain, wood sealer. Whatever is available? It isn’t always perfect, but its perfectly unpredictable.

thanks.

not southwest, ive just always been really interested in rust on surfaces. i love when you see a bolt, or a crack in paint, and a stream of rust and discoloration runs down the panel. thts the most perfect 'art' to me. cracked, peeling paint, delapidation, etc. those colors tend to fall on the earthy side, so i gravitate towards them. also, i felt like the last couple things id done were black, so i wanted to try and do something a little more 'upbeat'. ha. i worry alot about being cliche, or repeating myself, so i try and make a point to not do that.

what is polyurathane? like, just clear base or semthing? im totally ignorant to art and techniques and all that. i use whatever i can rack from michaels, which always tends to be acrylic, cause i dont need anything special for it.

Polyurethane is just that...a clear coat. You can also try Krylon's "Triple Thick" glaze as well. It's usually in small jars at art supply stores for like 3 dollars.

I hear you on using whatever's around. I just grab shit that has colors I like and paint with it. I have no technique or idea in my head when I start.

Any of you ever try spraying aerosol over a puddle of water for effects/texture? It creates some interesting web-like designs.

its not even art product i dont think, I like using whatever i find at the hardware stores its a poormans version of damar varnish a clear coat it could be in acrylic base or oil. it comes in pints or gallons and is like 8 bucks for a pint. But i like using the random ones that have a bit of tint in it, or ill add some dark stain into the clear. I just experiment just like a painting. It can also go right over acrylic also.

This thread is incredible !!! Good job all around. *(*golf clap*)*

I will contribute more than praise as soon as I can.

Here is picture i posted in the canvas thread its not on here as a pure abstract as the first canvas has graffiti, but just an expample of using the clear coat. This one is gloss based they also have matte.

canvas1.jpg

Abstract...

There are times when I reflect on what I once was ( "... you know, Joker, that guy who does the silly abstract shit." ) and I absolutely hate the word. It brings up a time in the mid-nineties where I left traditional Graffiti behind and followed my heart... and paid dearly for it. Writers are not kind people. But there are also times when I reflect and realize I made the right decision to follow my heart and stay true to what I felt was the right direction for me. When I started writing Graffiti in 1985 my goal was to be in the next book by Henry Chalfant... which never happened. But when I met him ten years later he mentioned two of my pieces he had photos of and that he really liked my use of color and composition. In a way, I met my goal and felt pleased with what I had accomplished, and I've never strayed since.

I've always been more intrigued by abstract art than traditionalism in art. Even Pop-Art is kinda boring to me... not sure why. I guess I just identify with things not understood or much cared for. ( Boo-hoo... woe is me... me, me, me - put me out, I'm on fire )

Sorry I'm late to the party but I rarely stroll around through these threads anymore but something got the better of me today and I found this gem.

Bojangles... love, love, love the stuff you're posting.

Seeking... you've always been a bit hard on yourself and your work and it's good to see you still are. It's self-motivating.

Poesia... a blast from the past. Good to hear you're doing well my friend.

I would love to post some images for you guys of new work I've done but unfortunately I have nothing new. The last year or so all I've done is doodle fat characters picking their nose or throwing up... or dressed as a clown. And lots and lots of cursive handwriting. Not sure why I've chose these things to occupy my creative time but they seem to be the thing that keeps me motivated to draw.

I'll get back on here in a bit...

• Like 1

JOKER JOKER JOKER its good to finally hear your voice again or words atleast. Hope to hear your ideas and critiques and hopefully more importantly works. A true inspiration in my art life.

I have been away 3 years also so if i can come back and find inspiration anyone can. I just hope my artwork and technique can catch up as fast as my ideas.

Thanks for the complimet Joker. And as for your graffiti style you mentioned above, I was a huge fan of what you were doing in the 90's (/no jock) and Poesia's as well. I always liked the fact that both of you along with people like Ouija weren't afraid to go outside of the lines in terms of what was deemed graffiti. Much like how you said you felt you did what you needed and met your goals, I did the same in my little piece of the world and often was criticized for experimenting with styles. Just wanted to let you guys know that compliments coming from you guys about my work means a lot. (/no jock x2)

I hated the hate so much that I just about stopped doing abstract altogether and now do regular graffiti.

Seriously though, I hardly do abstract at all anymore because I love blending and building up colors and I have a hard time incorporating it into my decidedly flat, dimensionless take on abstract.

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now