Abstracts

Bojangles

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I just finished this piece yesterday. It was my first time doing free handed spray painting.

I was able to render my unintentional projections without any compromise.However, I already know that I am more of a low pressure can user than a high pressure can user.Rustos are way too aggressive.I had to manipulate the shit out of the distance to get the pressure right ....

The new Molotow Flame cans(medium pressure) are nice, but they have cap issues ( the stock cap and red skinny are the only ones that worked for me) .....but the paint is awesome.

I am going to use low pressure cans on my next painting.

5841952470_75fdff2e0a_z.jpg

5841405209_d527d8dd21_z.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah, cardboard. Cardboard is a great substrate to paint on, and it has cellulose in it. Paper and canvas are properties of cellulose, and are sized and primed to be painted on, so why should cardboard be left out as a substrate?

Cardboard can be sized to be just as strong - or even stronger - as canvas. Once the cardboard has been prepped, primed, painted on and then sealed, it can be adhered to a wood panel to make for a quality hanging system.....

Plus it is a form of recycling.

I just prefer low pressure as opposed to high pressure cans.I can use rustos all day. I just don't like the valve system or the output( too dusty) ....I'll use them for big fills, but that is about it. The color is quality paint, but the valve system can't compete with foreign brands....

The Flame( Molotow) cans are so smooth, and they spray with no dust. I just feel like I am writing with a pen when I use them. It feels like I am literally sitting at the drawing table with a fine point pen.....

As far as cardboard? ...shhiitttttttt © Clay Davis.......Fiber, Fiber, and more Fiber. Once I complete the hanging system for it, and seal and varnish it with polyacrylic, it will endure a millennium (and then some) and have a professional aesthetic to it. Cardboard( fibers) can be transformed into a very tensile foundation that can stand the test of time.

I once did a small piece on fiberboard, and then adhered it to an aluminum sheet with liquid nails. I then adhered the entire composite to OSB and created a portrait hanging system for the back of the OSB....After that, I thought to myself:"I am not limited to this size. I can go bigger".....

there are no rules when it comes to art, just infinite possibilities....and invisible worm holes (lol)

^^^ what he said.

the point is,no one is doubting that one CAN paint on cardboard, or that it will last, we're just saying it looks like shit. the texture does not do wonders for the piece itself. there are other options just as cheap if not cheaper.

But that's the thing though, I like that look. I like the texture that it gives underneath the paint. Plus it is a form of recycling( found cardboard), so not only is it a painting, it is an invention....

I'll paint on anything: OSB, cardboard, plywood, masonite, metal, etc.........no substrate gets ignored. ..

^^Agreed.

Guku - I think you should throw some outlines or something onto that piece. I'm not trying to hate, but it looks like it's missing something to me, and the cardboard does add to that. Maybe go back with a fine brush and some black acrylic to put some outline on your shapes. Maybe some broken lines or whatever.

Just my opinion though.

hey guys quick question...

Besides masonite, I'm wondering what a good wood material would be to paint on. Preferably something with more of a thickness, as masonite is only about 1/4 inch thick. Or if you have other suggestions that aren't wood let me know.

Plywood(comes in thicknesses of 1/4 , 1/2 , 3/4, etc)

OSB ( Oriented Strand Board.......It looks like a homemade granola bar, because the board consists of strands of wood mashed together. It is heated a little to stretch the strands of wood and then it is pressed into a board. Great texture and feel.It really makes artwork standout.)

Birch Board is really nice, but it is more expensive than plywood and OSB. However, it is still less expensive than canvas.

Cedar

Softwood is easier to cut and is lighter than hardwood( oak, beech, etc), and it is less expensive than hardwood.

As far as Masonite goes , a lot of people use it, but masonite can lead to problems, massive ones. Masonite is prone to rotting and breaking, even after being primed and varnished. The wood is untreated during the craft process, so it goes straight to the presser , and then it is treated with a thin layer of linseed oil. ...It's a very weak board, and it must be properly treated before it is painted on. Sand the surface to scuff the thin layer of linseed oil. If you don't do that, the linseed oil will de -laminate over time and cause whatever is painted on it to de-laminate as well.

Also, when you go to home depot or menards to purchase your wood, inquire about the scrap section. It is a section where they pile up left over wood. They will sell you any piece of wood from that section for 85 percent off, no matter how big or small it is....Shit like that makes me want to pick up a Uhaul truck and go HAM on purchasing!

• Like 1