Global Warming

toke_wdc

http://www.suntimes.com/news/otherviews/450392,CST-EDT-REF30b.articleAlarmist global warming claims melt under scientific scrutiny

That article cherry picks facts to dispute, but it does not in any way refute the general argument that the climate is warming and human beings are the cause. Notice the careful wording of the headline, "Alarmist claims melt under scientific scrutiny," not "Global Warming disproven by science."

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

casek, if you seriously think that we, as humans, haven't sped up global warming you've taken one too many bong hits. you need to give your head a shake bud.

i think we have polluted quite a bit. as we all know, pollution is bad.

i just think people are blowing shit out of proprotion

that is exactly the kind of attitude that promotes furthering the process

how is shit being blown out of proportion? the average global temperature has gone up several degrees C, there are gaping holes in the ozone layer, and the oceans are also several degrees C

these are all clear symptoms of global warming getting worse...

that is exactly the kind of attitude that promotes furthering the process

how is shit being blown out of proportion? the average global temperature has gone up several degrees C, there are gaping holes in the ozone layer, and the oceans are also several degrees C

these are all clear symptoms of global warming getting worse...

the ozone layer has been scientifically proven to be repairing itself.

the eath is closer to the sun for the next seven years.

the global temperature goes up and down periodically.

talk shit now, busta.

the ozone layer has been scientifically proven to be repairing itself.

the eath is closer to the sun for the next seven years.

the global temperature goes up and down periodically.

talk shit now, busta.

who's been providing you with your information, exxon mobil ?

i suppose you also believe that somehow our pcb's and whatnot are doing this stuff, too?

External Source

Mars may be going through a period of climate change, new findings from NASA's Mars Odyssey orbiter suggest.

Odyssey has been mapping the distribution of materials on and near Mars' surface since early 2002, nearly a full annual cycle on Mars. Besides tracking seasonal changes, such as the advance and retreat of polar dry ice, the orbiter is returning evidence useful for learning about longer-term dynamics.

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/odyssey/newsroom/pressreleases/20031208a.html

External Source

Martian Ice Shrinking Dramatically

New gullies that did not exist in mid-2002 have appeared on a Martian sand dune.

That's just one of the surprising discoveries that have resulted from the extended life of NASA's Mars Global Surveyor, which this month began its ninth year in orbit around Mars. Boulders tumbling down a Martian slope left tracks that weren't there two years ago. New impact craters formed since the 1970s suggest changes to age-estimating models. And for three Mars summers in a row, deposits of frozen carbon dioxide near Mars' south pole have shrunk from the previous year's size, suggesting a climate change in progress.

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/mgs/newsroom/20050920a.html

External Source

Prediction of a global climate change on Jupiter

Philip S. Marcus

Top of pageJupiter's atmosphere, as observed in the 1979 Voyager space craft images, is characterized by 12 zonal jet streams and about 80 vortices, the largest of which are the Great Red Spot and three White Ovals that had formed1 in the 1930s. The Great Red Spot has been observed2 continuously since 1665 and, given the dynamical similarities between the Great Red Spot and the White Ovals, the disappearance3, 4 of two White Ovals in 1997-2000 was unexpected. Their longevity and sudden demise has been explained5 however, by the trapping of anticyclonic vortices in the troughs of Rossby waves, forcing them to merge. Here I propose that the disappearance of the White Ovals was not an isolated event, but part of a recurring climate cycle which will cause most of Jupiter's vortices to disappear within the next decade. In my numerical simulations, the loss of the vortices results in a global temperature change of about 10 K, which destabilizes the atmosphere and thereby leads to the formation of new vortices. After formation, the large vortices are eroded by turbulence over a time of 60 years—consistent with observations of the White Ovals—until they disappear and the cycle begins again.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v428/n6985/abs/nature02470.html

External Source

Pluto is undergoing global warming, researchers find

October 9, 2002

BIRMINGHAM, Ala.--Pluto is undergoing global warming, as evidenced by a three-fold increase in the planet's atmospheric pressure during the past 14 years, a team of astronomers from Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Williams College, the University of Hawaii, Lowell Observatory and Cornell University announced in a press conference today at the annual meeting of the American Astronomical Society's (AAS) Division for Planetary Sciences in Birmingham, AL.

The team, led by James Elliot, professor of planetary astronomy at MIT and director of MIT's Wallace Observatory, made this finding by watching the dimming of a star when Pluto passed in front of it Aug. 20. The team carried out observations using eight telescopes at Mauna Kea Observatory, Haleakala, Lick Observatory, Lowell Observatory and Palomar Observatory. Data were successfully recorded at all sites.

An earlier attempt to observe an occultation of Pluto on July 19 in Chile was not highly successful. Observations were made from only two sites with small telescopes because the giant telescopes and other small telescopes involved lost out to bad weather or from being in the wrong location that day. These two occultations were the first to be successfully observed for Pluto since 1988.

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2002/pluto.html

That's a 300% increase in atmospheric pressure in Pluto, which is the highest increase in any planet in the Solar system, and it is increasing as Pluto orbits away from the Sun. If the Sun is the cause for global warming in the solar system, as some scientists say, why is it that Pluto, the planet that is the farthest away from the Sun, experiencing the most severe effects, and it is getting worse and worse as it orbits away from the sun?

External Source

Pluto thought to be warming up

Astronomers at the University of Tasmania have found that the solar system's smallest planet is not getting colder as first thought and it probably does not have rings.

Dr John Greenhill has collected observations from last month's event when Pluto passed in front of a bright star, making it easier to study.

French scientists have shared the measurements they took in Tasmania that night, which indicate that the planet is unlikely to have rings.

Dr Greenhill says the results are surprising because they show Pluto is warming up.

"It looks as though the atmosphere has not changed from 2002, which is pretty surprising because we expected the atmosphere would freeze out as the planet moved further away from the Sun," he said.

"But so far, if anything, the atmosphere has gotten even denser."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200607/s1697309.htm

The following is a site which was made by several scientists who have no links with any government, or corporation, their findings are very interresting and give a different picture as to what is causing global warming. I can't quote any excerpts as there is a copyright issue, but I will post the link. Anyone interested in that information should read that site.

http://biocab.org/Cosmic_Rays_Graph.html#anchor_77

http://biocab.org/Global_Warming.html#anchor_32

External Source

Title:

Is the solar system entering a nearby interstellar cloud

Authors:

Vidal-Madjar, A.; Laurent, C.; Bruston, P.; Audouze, J.

Affiliation:

AA(CNRS, Laboratoire de Physique Stellaire et Planetaire, Verrieres-le-Buisson, Essonne, France), AB(CNRS, Laboratoire de Physique Stellaire et Planetaire, Verrieres-le-Buisson, Essonne, France), AC(CNRS, Laboratoire de Physique Stellaire et Planetaire, Verrieres-le-Buisson, Essonne, France), AD(Meudon Observatoire, Hauts-de-Seine; Paris XI, Universite, Orsay, Essonne, France)

Publication:

Astrophysical Journal, Part 1, vol. 223, July 15, 1978, p. 589-600. (ApJ Homepage)

Publication Date:

07/1978

Category:

Astrophysics

Origin:

STI

NASA/STI Keywords:

ASTRONOMICAL MODELS, DEUTERIUM, HYDROGEN ATOMS, INTERSTELLAR GAS, SOLAR SYSTEM, ABUNDANCE, EARLY STARS, GAS DENSITY, INTERSTELLAR EXTINCTION

DOI:

10.1086/156294

Bibliographic Code:

1978ApJ...223..589V

Abstract

Observational arguments in favor of such a cloud are presented, and implications of the presence of a nearby cloud are discussed, including possible changes in terrestrial climate. It is suggested that the postulated interstellar cloud should encounter the solar system at some unspecified time in the 'near' future and might have a drastic influence on terrestrial climate in the next 10,000 years.

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1978ApJ...223..589V

External Source

ESA sees stardust storms heading for Solar System

PRESS RELEASE

Date Released: Monday, August 18, 2003

Source: Artemis Society

Until ten years ago, most astronomers did not believe stardust could enter our Solar System. Then ESA's Ulysses spaceprobe discovered minute stardust particles leaking through the Sun's magnetic shield, into the realm of Earth and the other planets. Now, the same spaceprobe has shown that a flood of dusty particles is heading our way.

What is surprising in this new Ulysses discovery is that the amount of stardust has continued to increase even after the solar activity calmed down and the magnetic field resumed its ordered shape in 2001.

Scientists believe that this is due to the way in which the polarity changed during solar maximum. Instead of reversing completely, flipping north to south, the Sun's magnetic poles have only rotated at halfway and are now more or less lying sideways along the Sun's equator. This weaker configuration of the magnetic shield is letting in two to three times more stardust than at the end of the 1990s. Moreover, this influx could increase by as much as ten times until the end of the current solar cycle in 2012.

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=12353

The first article references the hole in the ozone layer, which as far as I know, has nothing to do with global warming.

The second article refers to cycles of sunspots. What does this have to do with global warming.

The third article shows that the temperature of the earth has been steadily rising since 1800, which is the one of the major arguments that supports man made global warming. What gives?

The first article references the hole in the ozone layer, which as far as I know, has nothing to do with global warming.

The second article refers to cycles of sunspots. What does this have to do with global warming.

The third article shows that the temperature of the earth has been steadily rising since 1800, which is the one of the major arguments that supports man made global warming. What gives?

and the other stuff i posted shows all the planets in the solar system are undergoing warming.

it's a trend.

and yeah, they blame the ozone hole for global warming.

all i'm saying is what i've always said. pollution is bad. we're doing it. but we are not

headed for some kind of movie-like global warming (doesn't that sound like changing the temperature in your home?) disaster.

don't believe the al gore hype. they don't care about our planet.

recycle (i recycle cans. it just makes sense), don't pollute, but don't be a bleeding heart liberal bitch about this shit. it's not as bad as they want you to believe it is.

p.s.

: prepare for big carbon footprint taxes.

The following is a site which was made by several scientists who have no links with any government, or corporation, their findings are very interresting and give a different picture as to what is causing global warming. I can't quote any excerpts as there is a copyright issue, but I will post the link. Anyone interested in that information should read that site.

http://biocab.org/Cosmic_Rays_Graph.html#anchor_77

http://biocab.org/Global_Warming.html#anchor_32

External Source

Title:

Is the solar system entering a nearby interstellar cloud

Authors:

Vidal-Madjar, A.; Laurent, C.; Bruston, P.; Audouze, J.

Affiliation:

AA(CNRS, Laboratoire de Physique Stellaire et Planetaire, Verrieres-le-Buisson, Essonne, France), AB(CNRS, Laboratoire de Physique Stellaire et Planetaire, Verrieres-le-Buisson, Essonne, France), AC(CNRS, Laboratoire de Physique Stellaire et Planetaire, Verrieres-le-Buisson, Essonne, France), AD(Meudon Observatoire, Hauts-de-Seine; Paris XI, Universite, Orsay, Essonne, France)

Publication:

Astrophysical Journal, Part 1, vol. 223, July 15, 1978, p. 589-600. (ApJ Homepage)

Publication Date:

07/1978

Category:

Astrophysics

Origin:

STI

NASA/STI Keywords:

ASTRONOMICAL MODELS, DEUTERIUM, HYDROGEN ATOMS, INTERSTELLAR GAS, SOLAR SYSTEM, ABUNDANCE, EARLY STARS, GAS DENSITY, INTERSTELLAR EXTINCTION

DOI:

10.1086/156294

Bibliographic Code:

1978ApJ...223..589V

Abstract

Observational arguments in favor of such a cloud are presented, and implications of the presence of a nearby cloud are discussed, including possible changes in terrestrial climate. It is suggested that the postulated interstellar cloud should encounter the solar system at some unspecified time in the 'near' future and might have a drastic influence on terrestrial climate in the next 10,000 years.

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1978ApJ...223..589V

External Source

ESA sees stardust storms heading for Solar System

PRESS RELEASE

Date Released: Monday, August 18, 2003

Source: Artemis Society

Until ten years ago, most astronomers did not believe stardust could enter our Solar System. Then ESA's Ulysses spaceprobe discovered minute stardust particles leaking through the Sun's magnetic shield, into the realm of Earth and the other planets. Now, the same spaceprobe has shown that a flood of dusty particles is heading our way.

What is surprising in this new Ulysses discovery is that the amount of stardust has continued to increase even after the solar activity calmed down and the magnetic field resumed its ordered shape in 2001.

Scientists believe that this is due to the way in which the polarity changed during solar maximum. Instead of reversing completely, flipping north to south, the Sun's magnetic poles have only rotated at halfway and are now more or less lying sideways along the Sun's equator. This weaker configuration of the magnetic shield is letting in two to three times more stardust than at the end of the 1990s. Moreover, this influx could increase by as much as ten times until the end of the current solar cycle in 2012.

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=12353

How do you know that Mister Nahle has no connection with the government or corporations? You may also notice that he does not mention any schools when referencing his degrees, or what level of degrees he has.

Regardless, he has not published any of these theories, so they cannot be taken as reliable, since his work has not gone through the peer review process.

Also, why are you referencing warming on other planets? What is your point?

1.and yeah, they blame the ozone hole for global warming.

2.all i'm saying is what i've always said. pollution is bad. we're doing it. but we are not

headed for some kind of movie-like global warming (doesn't that sound like changing the temperature in your home?) disaster.

3.don't believe the al gore hype. they don't care about our planet.

recycle (i recycle cans. it just makes sense), don't pollute, but don't be a bleeding heart liberal bitch about this shit. it's not as bad as they want you to believe it is.

p.s.

1. Not so much.

2. Yes, movies like Day After Tomorrow were rediculous. But this is merely an instance of short sightedness. The changes that will occur will play out over longer expanses of time, but no, it is not gonna be some overnight madness.

3. I thought I covered this already in my last response to this topic.

and the other stuff i posted shows all the planets in the solar system are undergoing warming.

it's a trend.

and yeah, they blame the ozone hole for global warming.

all i'm saying is what i've always said. pollution is bad. we're doing it. but we are not

don't believe the al gore hype. they don't care about our planet.

p.s.

Who blames the ozone hole for global warming?

Al Gore is not the only person who claims that global warming is caused by humanity.

Look up global warming on Scientific American's website. There is a scientific consensus on the matter, which means that thousands of scientists agree that this is happening, and the overwhelming majority of scientists in climatology agree. Are they all liberal bleeding heart bitches?

How does Al Gore benefit from carbon footprint taxes?

Because he has started investment firms for green technology start ups, and has developed himself to be part of the new "green" revolutions. I am sure his investment firm will develope somehow into part of the carbon credit exchange.

Russel- go into the philo thread.

Also, lastly, I think that we are a long ways away from personally being taxed for carbon footprints, if anything that will be implemented against corporations. Which, in my opinion, wouldn't be a bad thing.

Beyond that you should look into corporations who are leading the way on this whole new industrial revolution of sorts. Texas Instruments has just built a new facilities that is the epitomy of awesome in this respect. I have to ask my mom more about it, but she went to their dedication ceremony (I guess one could call it that) for the building. Basically they developed a sustainable building, I think it also has a manufacturing component. So that is pretty baller.

I really don't understand casek's universal skepticism. I used to see you as pretty objective, but you cling hard to ideas that don't have all too much backing, yet seem to want to refute anything that may have widespread consensus about it.

There are times where the majority has it right. Not every time is the minority ideology correct.

we aren't that far apart. i'm not a "man is polluting the earth" denier. what i am is a serious skeptic when these elitists start talking about how they want to save the environment.

that's pretty much it. i don't trust them.

look into al gore's investments.

Again, I know of his investments, I recognize he has a particular vested interest in this. But I just don't care. Let the man reap in on a movement he has been championing for over twenty years. If it pushes things in the right direction, I don't really care if he is banking.

Because he has started investment firms for green technology start ups, and has developed himself to be part of the new "green" revolutions. I am sure his investment firm will develope somehow into part of the carbon credit exchange.

Russel- go into the philo thread.

Also, lastly, I think that we are a long ways away from personally being taxed for carbon footprints, if anything that will be implemented against corporations. Which, in my opinion, wouldn't be a bad thing.

Beyond that you should look into corporations who are leading the way on this whole new industrial revolution of sorts. Texas Instruments has just built a new facilities that is the epitomy of awesome in this respect. I have to ask my mom more about it, but she went to their dedication ceremony (I guess one could call it that) for the building. Basically they developed a sustainable building, I think it also has a manufacturing component. So that is pretty baller.

I really don't understand casek's universal skepticism. I used to see you as pretty objective, but you cling hard to ideas that don't have all too much backing, yet seem to want to refute anything that may have widespread consensus about it.

There are times where the majority has it right. Not every time is the minority ideology correct.

i agree with what everything you said, except the part of seeing casek as being objective. the dude is very slanted on issues and easily brainwashed, and tends to make many unsubstatiated, biased claims and calls them "fact". the latter part of that sentence was spot-on though: "but you cling hard to ideas that don't have all too much backing, yet seem to want to refute anything that may have widespread consensus about it."

i think earlier in this thread you stated something about how he was venturing into conspiracy territory -- i'd say that's another correct assertion.

i agree with what everything you said, except the part of seeing casek as being objective. the dude is very slanted on issues and easily brainwashed, and tends to make many unsubstatiated, biased claims and calls them "fact". the latter part of that sentence was spot-on though: "but you cling hard to ideas that don't have all too much backing, yet seem to want to refute anything that may have widespread consensus about it."

i think earlier in this thread you stated something about how he was venturing into conspiracy territory -- i'd say that's another correct assertion.

i got it wrong earlier, it's "tap him on the ass and move forward" in the navy.

Again, I know of his investments, I recognize he has a particular vested interest in this. But I just don't care. Let the man reap in on a movement he has been championing for over twenty years. If it pushes things in the right direction, I don't really care if he is banking.

Agreed. There are a lot of people that stand to make a lot of money of reducing carbon emissions, and that's a good thing, because reducing emissions is necessary, and money is the grease of our society.

That said, there are already people who are making far more money than "green" technology companies, and they are also far more powerful.