Gutenberg Bible

deterrent

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

its actually the first book to be printed with movable type. but cool none the less. It looks like there was alot of work done afterwards but considering how much time they saved it was probably like nothing to them.

• 2 months later...

I was going through a clients file at work the other day, and it turns out he has a first edition copy of Johnson's "A Dictionary of the English Language" from 1755. There were a bunch of photos of it, and while it wasnt anywhere near as impressive as the gutenberg bible visually, I was still fascinated. Can you imagine how much of a social impact that book made?

The University where I live had a copy on loan. I was able to see it in person. It was inspiring.

As for social implications, it made education and reading available to the masses. The knowledge of reading was accessible in inexpensive quantities.

at04.jpg

Fust and Gutenberg's assistant Scheoffer worked on this project after conspiring against Gutenberg.

Such tragedy.

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...