rental's collection of pictures: chia pets, stick igloos, zoo, etc.

rental

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the stick igloo, why could you not go any higher? Were you out of sticks or would it not support itself, out of room? what was it.... i would of been pissed that i did all that and couldnt have a roof.

On the stick igloo, why could you not go any higher? Were you out of sticks or would it not support itself, out of room? what was it.... i would of been pissed that i did all that and couldnt have a roof.

it wouldnt support itself. if it didnt have two doorways, it would have been more stable and i could have gone higher. however, it was made for photographing and needed a spot to photograph the tunnel from on the inside of the igloo, hence the two doors.

that chia head was cool....those things go bad quick though

not really. i just stopped watering it. i had it around for like 2-3 weeks. the seeds are still flourishing in the pot outside. and i have more seeds left in the packet.

IV Etc./Misc.

a. my sister Part 2

These are earlier pictures from may:

PicS9992.jpg

two ships connected with the supplies being passed on zip lines.

Normandy_CG_60_pic_1.jpg

33.jpg

29_Apr_Helo_and_ship.jpg

14.jpg

"Hey all,

So it has been quite a while since I emailed, and quite a lot has happened.

We completed Neptune Warrior quite successfully. Normandy left for deployment a week later than the other ships that we were scheduled to do the exercise with, due to casualties. Once repaired, we got underway and trained- hard- for the entire tiring transit across the Atlantic. Our training paid off, in spite of doing it by ourselves (and not training to interact with other ships), and we kicked butt. We dominated the Air Defense picture, we tracked and simulated shots at submarines from three countries, defended against small boats, queried and boarded Vessels of Interest, all independently and in concert with other ships. There were ships and aircraft from the US, France, the UK, Belgium, and others. Some of the coolest stuff that we did was with the aircraft. We had our own air show with a couple of the British Harriers. Though they couldn’t hover due to fuel constraints, they put on a hell of a show. Extremely memorable to have a plane pointed straight for the forward superstructure and roll at the last second to pass in front of the bridge. The Captain was giggling and jumping up and down, and this was on one of several passes. They did some pretty daring maneuvers that had us all raising our eyebrows but loving every minute.

Once NW was over, we headed down from Scotland to Cherbourg, France. This was an interesting port visit, as Cherbourg is one of the northernmost cities in the Normandy region of France. We were greeted with open arms and great hospitality to this small area, and explored what she had to offer. Everyday was interesting as we were set loose on the streets of France with many of us knowing very little French and others among us clearing the cobwebs to remember the basics. The French Navy set up a free tour to the beaches of Normandy, truly a beautiful sight that leaves a lasting impression. From Omaha Beach and Arromanche, a few of us took a bus to the town of Bayeux, 15 km away. We stayed here overnight and explored the quaint town; the small shops, amazing food, and gracious people were worth breaking from the pack for. Not to mention the opportunity to get away from the rest of the crew. The next day, we took a train back to Cherbourg, about an hour away, for a reception hosting the US Ambassador to France and about a hundred French Naval Officers. It was a great port visit, for the hospitality of course, but also for everyone to let loose after working for three weeks straight (other sailors are rolling their eyes now… could be worse).

Upon leaving Cherbourg, I got the opportunity to drive us out. It went very well, and afforded me another great learning opportunity. One step closer to the all important qual! The most interesting experiences have been in transiting from place to place, though. The English channel takes no prisoners, and the challenge of communicating with sailors from all over the world has been quite real; we had over 75 ships around us on my last watch. Yesterday involved taking a Normandy sailor close to Germany to be med-evaced. He is doing much better, thankfully, and the ship is back on her way. Today, we had the excitement of small Fishing Vessels popping up (without being on radar) and ignoring the rules of the road. Ah, but it has been fun. Straits transits and high speed ferries…

I included four pics: one is of Normandy with Scotland in the background, a French (I think) ship and her helos, one of our Connected Replenishments (pallets zipping), a small street in Cherbourg, and the walkway down to Omaha Beach from the American Cemetary (one of the best sights seen thus far).

Our plan for the next week is to visit a small Baltic seaside resort and perhaps the ballet. We, of course, have receptions planned with the other Navies, as well.

Once we pull in, I will have more stories to tell… and I will send more pics in short order!"

How long did the igloo take to construct?

well, it was torn down quite a few times because we had to learn how to build it as we were going along. the whole stick igloo process was a few days. what is in those photographs is only one 8-9 hour day, though. it may have only taken me alone half of a day, but i let the filipino lady try to finish her side, and she didnt really understand how to use the sticks, so her side kept falling. i had to make her let me build it. that was hard, as she is my friend AND one tough cookie.