Take skateboarding back!

creep3

• 2 weeks later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Consolidated has done this for a long ass time. I have some old ads from the mid 90's of them bashing other skate companies for their styles. One was a spof on "Hook-Ups" and the 2nd one was crapping on "Scarecrow".

Which is ironic considering they have there own niche which is bashing the companies who are expanding or poplar. The "Don't Do it" phrase of their's has been around since the FIRST attempt by Nike at skate shoes. They were only sold for like a couple of months and did HORRID. BTW Bam Margera (pre MTV, preEMO, preCKY/Landspeed) was one of their only riders. Again mid/later 90's for that.

In the end, no matter what industry, their will always be those who try at whatever lengths to keep it core and grassroots. Do I agree with consolidated? No not really, but I do respect they'll step up and do what they want to without fear of consumer backlash or the skate industry turning on them .

Shit I've skated for over a decade now, worked at a skate shop, and those guys at Consolidated are super nice to deal with.

• 3 months later...

how is a shoe company or clothing store "killing" skateboarding

as far as i know you can skate in sandals, barefoot, 1000 doller guci heels, kmart shoes or nike

and how the hell is pacsun killing skating? they sell good clothes, im thankful for pacsun they sell 2xls which zumiez does not

brands dont make you a skater..tallent and commitment does

nike is not killing skateboarding.

pac sun is not killing skateboarding.

blank boards are not killing skateboarding.

consolidated skateboards is not saving skateboarding.

skateboarding is not dying

co-signed!!!

they thought skateboarding died in the early 90's, but it didn't. it won't die because people are staying true to it, no matter how many world industry cartoon kids you see out trying to kick flip before they can ollie. the reality of skateboarding is more of a lifestyle, philosophy, and culture, than it is what brand you rock or tricks you can do. i have more respect for those who don't give a fuck, and notice that just pushing down the street is just as rewarding as throwing yourself down a double set. if you get wrapped up in industry bullshit, than you're going to get burnt out quick. who gives a fuck if nike is making skate shoes. who gives a fuck if pac sun wants to sell element shit. just skate for yourself and let the young or blind contribute to the easy consumer mindset that is pac sun and stores of the like.

and i will say this --i appreciate this website listing core stores. one of my friend's shop is on there, and i appreciate anyone who backs core shops.

• 1 year later...

Picked up a new deck last week:

3633289651_6f77758d02.jpg?v=0

Sadly it's been shitty here the past week and haven't skated since..

Currently skating limited edition DVS Boston Charles River Skatepark shoes since I had no others. About to pick up some Authentic Vans though.

• 2 weeks later...

hold the phone...

i dont know about nike...but nike sb short for skateboarding is ran buy skaters ! not 50 year old men in suit and ties, nike sb is with nike, but its a corporation on there own.

why do you think you can only get nike sb dunks in local skateshops? sure you can get thos nike 6.0's at pac sun or any store in the mall, but if you want thos limited edition nike sb dunks you gotta wait inline outside your local skateshop,

this gives back to skateshops with the internet and magazines very few skateshops are staying open i know that the dunks where keeping them alive for awhile, if your some local kid you can get shoes for 80 bucks, but if you where some ghetto fresh wanna be no body you would end up paying 300- they put the power back into skate shops.

to get a nike sb acount you gotta go through alot and sometimes know someone, you can be the hugest store like pac sun or whatever and you wont get a acount, i know of a store that lost their acount cus nike sb watches ebay and keeps track of the sneakers serial numbers and he lost his acount from selling them on ebay instead of in his store for the retail price. once agian the shoes are made to put money back into skateboarding,

nike sucks im not a fan.

but nike sb has done alot for skateboarding... i see it and i live it, so im not talking out my ass.

also where do you see nike sb ad's? only in skate magazines, never in malls never on billboards never in gay complex magazine or some other crap. whys that? cus nike sb is run by skaters, there gonna make money but there gonna keep it real at the same time.

by the way, i skate vans, simple shoe and i like to feel my board

back when nike sb where making shoes in the grey box thos where pretty awesome and lasted pretty long, but once they came out with the new sb the black/purple box the tongue was to thick and the shoes where too puffy i even no kids taking out stuff from the tongue and sewing them back up, back to vans now

but i dont bash nike sb, for the above reason and intell the do something to piss me off i cant talk shit on them ruining skateboarding.

• 4 weeks later...

now i dont know much about consolidated skateboards, but fuck this dont do it army is a fucking good marketing skeem. think about how many people are going to go and post this shit up advertising consolidated skateboads, its just shitty propaganda thats going to make 15yearold die hard skateboards think there freedom fighters leading the communist party to victory, at the end of the day its just capitalist bull shit trying to make you by there shit

also people use to skate in dunks before nike sb it only seemed natural for nike to "cash in"

and does anyone remember what skate shoes use to look like before nike sb kick in fulleffect, all the company's who have wanted to stay around have stepped up the game,

they all now make shoes that look like vans

• 7 months later...

all these corporate and "idiots in it for the fame" groups are killing off underground and street culture. fuck them!

but just because a shoe or clothes line is made by a skate company or for skaters, doesn't mean its exclusively for skaters. SB's are some pretty ill shoes, and loads of people wear em for casual wear. But I disagree that Nike is killing skating..

hold the phone...

i dont know about nike...but nike sb short for skateboarding is ran buy skaters ! not 50 year old men in suit and ties, nike sb is with nike, but its a corporation on there own.

why do you think you can only get nike sb dunks in local skateshops? sure you can get thos nike 6.0's at pac sun or any store in the mall, but if you want thos limited edition nike sb dunks you gotta wait inline outside your local skateshop,

this gives back to skateshops with the internet and magazines very few skateshops are staying open i know that the dunks where keeping them alive for awhile, if your some local kid you can get shoes for 80 bucks, but if you where some ghetto fresh wanna be no body you would end up paying 300- they put the power back into skate shops.

to get a nike sb acount you gotta go through alot and sometimes know someone, you can be the hugest store like pac sun or whatever and you wont get a acount, i know of a store that lost their acount cus nike sb watches ebay and keeps track of the sneakers serial numbers and he lost his acount from selling them on ebay instead of in his store for the retail price. once agian the shoes are made to put money back into skateboarding,

nike sucks im not a fan.

but nike sb has done alot for skateboarding... i see it and i live it, so im not talking out my ass.

also where do you see nike sb ad's? only in skate magazines, never in malls never on billboards never in gay complex magazine or some other crap. whys that? cus nike sb is run by skaters, there gonna make money but there gonna keep it real at the same time.

all you gotta do is look at their first run of sponsored skaters...and that tells it all. there were plenty of big money names in skateboarding when sb's started......they instead went for cats who put it down and are well respected in skateboarding by skateboarders.

by the way, i skate vans, simple shoe and i like to feel my board

back when nike sb where making shoes in the grey box thos where pretty awesome and lasted pretty long, but once they came out with the new sb the black/purple box the tongue was to thick and the shoes where too puffy i even no kids taking out stuff from the tongue and sewing them back up, back to vans now

but i dont bash nike sb, for the above reason and intell the do something to piss me off i cant talk shit on them ruining skateboarding.

yeah man..the silver box sb's were the best...for numerous reasons. personally i think some of the illest colorways were during the silver and pink box era. but i think you are mistaken on one thing....the first 2 series of sb's had super puffy tongues. which i enjoy. even when they re-released the general release nikes at foot action and champs in early 2000, they had puffy tongues ala the sb's that were coming out at the time. ive actually, along with other cats i know, have stuffed my tongues that wernt puffy to make them puffy.

half cabs are still the best skate shoe. for the first month and a half before they get blew out.

i hope things like nike and rob deerdick destroy skateboarding. let it become a phase. that way when the next big phase comes around, only the real skaters will be left. more room in the parks.

hate all you want..dude still had a pretty nice part in the last workshop video.

dyrdek has been in the game for a while.....and he still puts it down.

dont front.

Plus they now own hurley and converse. They are trying to buy out skateboarding without ever giving a shit about it and just trying to cash in.

you have no clue what you are talking about.

nike owned converse years ago. way before converse made a resurgence with skate shoes. and who gives a flying fuck about hurly. what are you....a wakeboarder? go get some more highlights and jump off the bandwagon.

nike sb really turned its back on skateboarding when they decided to sponsor Lance Mountain.

:rolleyes:

hate all you want..dude still had a pretty nice part in the last workshop video.

dyrdek has been in the game for a while.....and he still puts it down.

dont front.

i saw the workshop vid, his part was short and he pops himself in the mouth.

im aware he puts it down, but that doesnt mean he didnt contribute to turning skating into a fad, whether that was his intention or not.

i mean look at ryan sheckler. the guys a tool every time i see him on tv or read an interview, but you cant deny the guys talented as fuck.

these mainstream media skaters make skateboards look like fashion accessories.

i mean there are tons of guys who have been in the game for ever and put it down harder that deerdick. kosten being one of the most obvious. i think i heard kosten got a deal with nike too though but i dont think he will be making any sappy tv shows.

i saw the workshop vid, his part was short and he pops himself in the mouth.

im aware he puts it down, but that doesnt mean he didnt contribute to turning skating into a fad, whether that was his intention or not.

i mean look at ryan sheckler. the guys a tool every time i see him on tv or read an interview, but you cant deny the guys talented as fuck.

these mainstream media skaters make skateboards look like fashion accessories.

i mean there are tons of guys who have been in the game for ever and put it down harder that deerdick. kosten being one of the most obvious. i think i heard kosten got a deal with nike too though but i dont think he will be making any sappy tv shows.

dude..you are talking in circles. fools were saying the same thing about koston joining nike. saying that he sold out.

look.....is dyrdeks show cheesy....yes. does his show bring skateboarding into a lot of homes that probably dont already have skateboarding in it. yes. is that a bad thing? .....in my opinion...no. lets face it...the days of skateboarding being an exclusive community (from the outside looking in..) are long gone. the x games have been around since 1995! that first year there were 198,000 people there... the attendance almost doubled in 4 years. the little bit of cheese factor that dyrdek brings to skateboarding is not whats killing it. now, i will admit this....when he decided to do the axe body spray shit...i cringed a bit. but in the other hand...dyrdek also talks the money he makes doing cheesy shit and builds outdoor skate plazas that arnt cheesy. so then....you are left with asking yourself....

...what have you done for skateboarding?

• Like 1

dude..you are talking in circles. fools were saying the same thing about koston joining nike. saying that he sold out.

look.....is dyrdeks show cheesy....yes. does his show bring skateboarding into a lot of homes that probably dont already have skateboarding in it. yes. is that a bad thing? .....in my opinion...no. lets face it...the days of skateboarding being an exclusive community (from the outside looking in..) are long gone. the x games have been around since 1995! that first year there were 198,000 people there... the attendance almost doubled in 4 years. the little bit of cheese factor that dyrdek brings to skateboarding is not whats killing it. now, i will admit this....when he decided to do the axe body spray shit...i cringed a bit. but in the other hand...dyrdek also talks the money he makes doing cheesy shit and builds outdoor skate plazas that arnt cheesy. so then....you are left with asking yourself....

...what have you done for skateboarding?

well if building parks is a way to pay back skateboarding then ive done pretty much nothing. ive found empty pools in abandoned houses and called every friend i have to let them know about it so we dont have cops writing tickets left and right for skating on the sidewalk. we also built small quarter pipes for isolated spots and brought rails. i know i cant compare that to deerdicks accomplishments (the guys loaded and probably has tons of investors), but i still think its arguable whether or not hes done more damage then good. positive thing i like he did: now that people see skateboarding more, it feels like over the years i have gotten harassed less by cops. negative thing: advertisements that tell us, if we skate, we get bitches. that axe commercial has chicks waiting and cheering for sheckler. i mean you want to talk about cringing, that hubba advertisement with the naked chicks? i really dont want to see skating be reduced to the level of say clothing brands like SKIN or Metal Mulish non sense.