17-year-Cicadas

louise2wease

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=local&id=5192299

i'm not ready for this disgustingness.

as of tomorrow the seventeen year cicadas will be coming out... =/

summary of article:

1.5 million per acre [about one city block / a football field]

each makes a noise as loud as a blender... with 1.5 million per block that's fucking crazy.

i've been told this so far:

17 years ago, when they came out, people had to shovel their sidewalks of them like you do with snow.

they will crawl up your pants thinking you are a tree.

grass looks like it is moving because there are so many on there.

when you walk around every step will be like walking on leaves in fall... but crunchier.

i'm definitely not excited for this.

some scientist guy said they come out tomorrow... and he was right about the date in other regions that have these little nasties. errr, big nasties.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

aaaah catface you WANT to see them?!

i was doing service hours today out in like will county or something

and this chick there was all "i'm so excited! i can't wait! there should be about 4 million per acre here because this land's been untouched for years!!" she works at like Tallgrass National Park i think it might be called... 20,000 acres of unlived-on land.

as will i [pictures i mean]... but unfortunately cicadas are the only bug aside from those really big juicy spiders that i fear. =/ i'm a bit of a pussy when it comes to their fidgety legs... when they flip over onto their backs and those ugly legs go flailing, i run. almost literally.

if you look down you can spit at about a dozen of them in spots.

once they are grown pinch them by both wings and let them spaz.

last time they were around i was seven, i will leave the math to you all,

but me and my brother would put them in wiffle balls and then see how

long they would last. their guts smell kinda like peanut butter.

^^yeah...

We get the 7 and 14 year Cicadas cycles here, and

wow... People are seriously sweeping these fuckers off

their property! And no horse shit... the can and will

block the sun sometimes! It's kinda scary. Did I

mention that they are fucking HUGE!

cicadas.jpg

How To Eat Cicadas

Subjects > Animals > Insects > Cicada

See also Common Questions Asked About Cicadas ...

Recent articles, in magazines such as [National Geographic News], have talked about the craze of eating cicadas. According to Gene Kritsky, a biologist and cicada expert at the College of Mount St. Joseph in Cincinnati, Ohio, ""They're high in protein, low in fat, no carbs. They're quite nutritious, a good set of vitamins."

Crawfish, lobster, crabs, shrimp, and insects are all part of the same biological phylum of arthropods. Jenna Jadin prepared a brochure in preparation for the emergence of Cicada Brood X called "Cicada-Licious: Cooking and Enjoying Periodical Cicada."

As with any food, proper preparation is important.

Cicadas are said to be crispy and crunchy, with a nutty, almondlike, flavor. Iroquois indians have a long history of eating cicadas. Cicadas are considered an Iroquois delicacy.

The best time to harvest cicadas for eating is in the coolness of the morning.

The cicadas can be cooked in a large frying pan in a way similar to popcorn. The taste is similr to the "crispy edges of the egg white of an overhard fried egg."

A popular way to prepare cicadas is to sautee them in butter with crushed garlic and basil. However, some people might not like the strong aroma that this produces.

Cicadas can also be dry-roated on a stick like a marshmallow over a fire.

You will probably want to remove the wings and legs because these have sharp edges.

Other popular cicada recipes include Cicada Stir-Fry and Cicada Dumplings.

It is also popular to cook insects such as cicadas with sugar. Chocolate covered cicadas are also popular gifts.

Many museums periodically have programs where they serve insect food. Contact your local museum to see if they are having a program to serve cicadas soon. The "Bug Bowl" festival in West Lafayette Indiana is an example of an event focused on eating all kinds of insects

the paper down here should have the recipes coming out soon.

Adult Cicada Recipe

cicada

Adult Cicadas can be eaten as well as Cicada Larvae. You should pick mature femalesyou’re your dish. Adult Cicada males have hollow abdomens and not much of a meat, but the female Cicadas are filled with lots of fat. Before you start your cooking you need to remove all the hard parts: wings, legs and head. These parts don’t contain much of the meat either but may be very sharp, so its best to get rid of them.

You will need: two tablespoons butter or peanut oil, one and a half pound of cicadas, two serrano chilies, raw, finely chopped, one tomato, finely chopped, one onion, finely chopped, one and a half table spoon ground pepper, one and a half table spoon cumin, three table spoon taco seasoning mix, one handful cilantro, chopped, Taco shells, Sour cream, Shredded cheddar cheese, Shredded lettuce.

All you need to do now is:

1. Heat the butter or oil in a frying pan and fry the cicadas for 10 minuts, or until cooked through.

2. Remove from pan and roughly chop into 1/4-inch cubes/ Place back in pan.

3. Add the chopped onions, chilies and tomato, season with salt, and fry for another 5 minutes on medium-low heat.

4. Sprinkle with ground pepper, cumin and oregano to taste.

5. Serve in taco shells and garnish with cilantro, sour cream, lettuce and cheddar cheese.

Cicada Larvae Recipe

cicada

Cicadas are best known in culinary world for its protein reach larvae. It’s best to prepare larvae since its skin still soft. Larvae is basically young Cicada that is about to become and adult. It usually hinds underground for the most of its life and climb the tree in early May and this is best time to collect it for your protein reach dish.

For example you may prepare meal called Soft-Shelled Cicadas. You need just 1 cup Worcestershire sauce, 30 freshly emerged 17-year cicadas, 2 eggs, beaten, 1.5 cups flour, Salt and pepper to season the flour, 0.5 cup corn oil or slightly salted butter. You should marinate cicadas in Worcestershire sauce for several hours. Dip them in the beaten egg, roll them in the seasoned flour and then gently saute until they are golden brown.