post your meals photo superpooperthread!!

alure

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

made a confit of veal breast last night. i saw a veal breast on sale for $3 a few weeks ago, and bought and froze it, not knowing how to cook it or anything. i read on a couple of sites that it's a pretty tough cut of meat with alot of connective tissue, so it had to be slow cooked. decided to go with this recipe, since it looked relatively easy, just time consuming. turned out to be fantastic, especially considering how cheap the veal was.

Confit of Veal Breast

From The Rosengarten Report, Issue Number 24, December 22, 2003. Copypright 2003 by David Rosengarten.

Makes 4 main-course servings

* A 5-lb. slab of bone-in veal breast

* 2 cups low-salt chicken broth

* 2 cups low-salt beef broth

* 1-1/2 cups dry white wine

* 5 shallots, peeled

* 1 head of garlic, separated into cloves and peeled

* Small bunch of fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves)

* 2 bay leaves

* 1-1/2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns

1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees.

2. Generously season the veal breast with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place seasoned breast in a large, deep roasting pan. Roast in oven for 20 minutes.

3. Remove veal breast from the oven, and reduce the oven temperature to 300 degrees. To the veal breast in the roasting pan, add the chicken broth, the beef broth, the wine, the shallots, the garlic, the thyme, the bay leaves, and the peppercorns. Cover the pan with a double thickness of heavy-duty aluminum foil, and return to the oven. Cook for 3-1/2 hours. Remove and let cool just slightly.

4. Line a sheet pan with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Carefully transfer the veal breast from the roasting pan to the sheet pan, leaving as much liquid as possible behind; it will be very tender, and could fall apart if not handled gently. While the veal breast is still warm, remove the bones and as much of the sticky connective tissue, membrane tissue, and cartilage as you can without tearing the meat. (Your fingers may work better than a knife.) Reserve any shards of meat that fall off the breast.

5. Strain the braising liquid, without pressing down on the solids, into a clean container. Let liquid rest at room temperature for 30 minutes, then refrigerate.

6. Cut the veal breast in half at the center (not the long way), so you have two equally-sized thick chunks of meat. Lay one chunk on top of the other, lining them up evenly. Sandwich between the two chunks the reserved shards of meat that fell off the breast (that is, if you've resisted the temptation to gobble them up). Cover the whole kit and caboodle with another piece of foil, and crimp foil around the sheet pan to seal the edges. Place another sheet pan on top of the foil packet, and weight it. (I found an unopened 12-pack of soda pop works nicely.) Refrigerate the pressed veal for at least 3 hours; overnight refrigeration is best. Prepare for serving as recommended below.

Suggestion #1: To serve the veal in the style of restaurant Fleur de Sel (which I highly recommend): Skim and discard any fat that may have solidified on top of the braising liquid. Transfer liquid to a saucepan, and heat to a gentle simmer. Taste. Reduce the liquid if you think it needs to be more concentrated in flavor. In another pan, sauté wild mushrooms and scallions in butter, caramelizing both vegetables slightly. Combine with enough braising liquid to make a medium sauce. Thicken with knobs of butter, if desired.

Cut the compressed veal breast with a sharp serrated knife into squares approximately 2-1/2 inches all around. Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, film it with 1 tablespoon olive oil, and, when the pan is hot, add the veal chunks. Cook chunks, turning once, for a total of 4 or 5 minutes, or until the chunks are hot inside and crusty on the top and bottom.

Divide chunks among 4 warmed dinner plates, and top with the warm mushroom sauce.

defrosting the veal

veal1.jpg

ingredients

ingr.jpg

stock & wine

stockwine.jpg

after roasting

veal2.jpg

after 3 hours braising w/ veggies & stock/wine - kept a thermometer in the meat and maintained the internal temp at about 203-208 degrees for 3 hours

veal3.jpg

removed bones/connective tissues, cut in half and folded over itself

veal4.jpg

weighted/pressed the halves together and rested it

veal5.jpg

cut into cubes and browned in bacon fat

veal6.jpg

served with mascarpone mashed potatoes and steamed spinach with slivers of garlic, and reduced the braising liquid to serve over everything.

veal7.jpg

the only thing that sucked was the veal cubes started to stick to the frying pan at the end and fall apart, even though the pan and grease was very hot when I added them. not sure what I did wrong there. and my plates are fugly, i def. need a new set.:lol:

• Like 2

if i were russian and stan was vegetarian, oh the possibilities...

Koreans are like Russians mixed with Chinese people.

2/3 of Russia is considered Asia. So the possibilities are still there. ;)

I love most vegetarian food but i doubt i could convert.

But you eat fish suki, and fish is my favorite dish.

Picture317-1.jpg

Good eggs. Somewhere in there is also some good cheese which I cannot remember the name of at the moment.

Picture338.jpg

Missing from the sausage, onion, bell pepper and garlic is a home made tomato sauce with white wine and mozzarella cheese.

Picture325.jpg

Finished product instead.

last night i got the brilliant idea to go to the store after the bar and get food to cook. i picked up a ny strip, fennel, portabellas, and some beef stock for a sauce. then i got home and came to the conclusion that i was waaaaaaaaaaay to drunk to attempt cooking anything.so i ended up eating some leftovers. anyway im finna cook that shit up tonight ill post flicks

Koreans are like Russians mixed with Chinese people.

2/3 of Russia is considered Asia. So the possibilities are still there. ;)

I love most vegetarian food but i doubt i could convert.

But you eat fish suki, and fish is my favorite dish.

oh i bet it is. teeheeharharrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Guest 50million

just in case you havent heard....went to the french laundry.

ok FINE. here was my AMAZING time at the French Laundry. It was better than I even imagined. I want to go again and again and again. Some of the best days of my life...

DSCN7652.jpg

went to the bank.

DSCN7663.jpg

got some crazy mixed drinks down the street from the restaurant

DSCN7668.jpg

played in the garden. 3 acres.

DSCN7665.jpg

DSCN7667.jpg

yeah i ate those.

DSCN7679.jpg

here we go...

DSCN7727.jpg

menu. june 10th.

DSCN7687.jpg

salted andante butter. thee most amazing butter you will ever eat. ever.

DSCN7685.jpg

puff pastry with gryuere. salmon tar tar cornet with red onion creme friache. the perfect way to start the meal.

DSCN7686.jpg

savory tapioca with fresh oysters and caviar. I wanted more so bad.

DSCN7688.jpg

foie gras with fresh almonds, fresh (warm) brioche load and 3 kinds of Jurassic salts. my FAVORITE dish. I was craving this all day. ORGASMED HERE.

DSCN7695.jpg

butter poached lobster with a beet reduction.

DSCN7691.jpg

cobia fish.

DSCN7690.jpg

octopus.

DSCN7689.jpg

home boy spilled the Jurassic salt. this is when we knew we were DRUNK! - we had a different wine with every dish!

DSCN7704.jpg

sausage stuffed rabbit.

DSCN7705.jpg

duck

DSCN7706.jpg

beef. wagu/angus mix. IT MELTED ON MY TONGUE! it was similar to kobe. (enter homer drooling noise here.) ORGASMED HERE.

DSCN7707.jpg

cheese platter. fresh bread and more FUCKING BUTTER.

DSCN7711.jpg

sorbet

Guest 50million

and one more....

DSCN7712.jpg

chocolate with hazelnut sorbet and fried banana rings. ORGASMED HERE.

DSCN7716.jpg

candies.

DSCN7720.jpg

the kitchen

and the bill.....

DSCN7719.jpg

the next day we went to some fancy italian place for lunch....shit was good too!

DSCN7733.jpg

OCTOPUS. hella good.

DSCN7732.jpg

buratta

DSCN7735.jpg

clam pasta.

DSCN7734.jpg

ricotta gnocchi.

DSCN7737.jpg

went to bouchon bakery. got a homemade peanut butter cup. perfect!

PS - I am sorry anything got brought up about any of my relationships. I didn't make the thread to talk about whatever happened between Soup and me. But hilariousness did ensue. But I am on to bigger and better things...

daaaaaaaaaaaamn 50 that all looks absurdly good. but that bill holy shit! it almost makes me want to wait to post my food but i'm gonna do it anyway

P1050973.jpg

meatloaf, rosemary mashed taters and peas

P1050974.jpg

spicy crab roll

P1050975.jpg

fresh water eel and salmon roll

P1050976.jpg

spicy scallop hand roll

P1050977.jpg

sweet tofu and sweet egg nigiri

P1050985.jpg

little mixed grill i made for lunch the other day. while i was grillin my chica did the scallops which she had never cooked before. she cooked em perfectly i was proud.

• Like 1