post your meals photo superpooperthread!!

alure

• 2 weeks later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Word. I dont think I could do the Century Eggs. I cooked up one of my eggs recently, a lil early, but didnt notice much difference. I did get some aromatics from the outer most white. Another factor is Im using plain store bought chicken eggs. I should of just bought the ducks eggs I came across at a local Asian store. Ive heard of the tea eggs but not soy sauce eggs. I will definitely add that too the list. I just moved to the Birmingham area and Ive been trying to get a bunch of test/experiments going so that the time lapse doesnt seem so long between batches. They talked so much about seasoning an egg from the outside in I really wanted to see just how much of that flavor penetrates. Ive noticed salted eggs with dessert applications and I dont do desserts much but have been wanting to do more. I was considering a test with adding raw cocoa beans and coffee beans to a salted egg brine. Coffee and cocoa both have salted applications then using the eggs for a hollandaise with an infused balsamic with the same aromatic seasonings. Then in turn using the hollandaise for a tiramisu. I dunno could be horrible, could be good lol.

I had a recent meal that wasnt an over all success but I will revisit it. Did a chipotle scalloped sweet potato (gochujang, chili/garlic sauce, heavy cream, salt, pepper) which was a bit too saucy but tasted pretty spicy and rich. Ive had a steam juicer for YEARS and havent used it one bit so I figured why not steam a whole chicken in it? ginger garlic steamed chicken tossed with heavy amount of cilantro. Blistered tomatoes in an orange juice/curry sauce and finished with a maple tahini sauce. I kinda rushed a bit and lost which direction I wanted each sauce to go.

photo_3.jpg.e9cda9b16fca732da15091f8c2850d64.jpg

Although I will definitely be steaming more chicken in the future. I got about 4 cups of some pretty nice chicken stock that fell down into the funnel catch of my steam juicer. Decently strong flavor. Could make a chicken soup outright without any more additional flavor.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The New York TImes cooking site is awesome, I made the Peruvian chicken with spicy cilantro sauce from there last night and it was quite good. Served alongside garlic rice and some carrots.

The best training is hunger and lack of any option, but I am a hardass.

38 minutes ago, morton said:

The New York TImes cooking site is awesome, I made the Peruvian chicken with spicy cilantro sauce from there last night and it was quite good. Served alongside garlic rice and some carrots.

You subscribe?  I used to go to NYT often enough until they changed the food/recipe section to needing a subscription.  Think they partially changed back so you get a few freebies a month then have to subscribe for more?

8 hours ago, One Man Banned said:

?

For the past few years the in-laws have gotten my wife and I a NYT online subscription for Christmas. The paywall for the cooking section is not as soft as for the paper but a motivated person could probably cadge the content with recurring trial periods to bogus emails or some such shenanigan.

I have liked Mr Bitmans work for a long time and appreciate some of the features like email a shopping list for a recipe and weekly meal plan suggestions, not sure that I would pay for it, but by now my wife would probably want to buy the subscription even if the gifts stopped.  

I've gotten some good recipes from NYT over time so it was a slight loss but on the other hand caused me to branch out and add other sources.  Been focused lately on smoking chicken and turkey but am a fan of the Peruvian style chicken and have that on my list to make myself.  The sauce to go with is amazing too.

Glad to see a familiar handle. I remember protester from times past. This thread was crackin for quite a while with a bunch of like minded food nerds! It was pretty epic, sharing recipes and what not. Hopefully itll pick up a little steam again! 

Smoked leg of lamb, grits cake, morel mushroom, ramps, sunny side up duck egg, harissa sauce, scallion gremolata. Kind of bummed on the picture but, shit happens when your busy as fuck during Easter brunch service. Cheers!

20190421_085043.jpg

• Like 3
  • Props 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...