post your meals photo superpooperthread!!

alure

Okay so today is our Anniversary so I went to the store this morning and got all the ingredients.

I'm making Brie Bread as suggested by the good sir Protestor, for a side dish I will bake some Bacon and Mozzarella stuffed mushrooms. For the main course I will be making Chicken Francais.

dfit95Bl.jpg

I'll take pics of the entire cooking process but I won't post them all because I don't want to bore the professionals on this thread.

I just had a quick question. Should I marinate the chicken in Marsala wine and garlic cloves for a few hours?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Can someone enlighten me. I know Italians brag about how long their sauce has been cooking etc yet I fail to see the sense in cooking sauces so long. Ive made tomato sauces within at least an hour and they were perfect. Is there a need to cook that long? Is it the skin or the tomato? Flavors dont take that long to infuse together so please tell me! I want educated responses from those educated. I understand if its to be reduced then that takes time and the scorching aspect. I dunno I just have never gotten the whole thing.

Just the way I was taught to do it. Braggy Italian grandmother, I suppose.

Mine includes an entire pork chop, so it really needs to simmer a while to get it to fall apart. It just sits for several hours on the lowest possible heat after the chop has been browned and thrown in.

I guess that could be sped up, but then you don't get to smell sauce cooking..or dip bread into it for a snack while you wait. I've never done that, but it sounds delightful.

I'm done cooking dinner and I had no trouble following the recipes. The Brie Bread came out ok, I'm not really a fan of Brie cheese, it came out salty and maybe it was the butter I used but I would like to try a sweeter cheese next time (recomendations welcome). At least she liked it.

The stuffed mushrooms came out absolutely fantastic! I'm really proud of them and I will be making them frequently. Definitely the highlight of the entire meal.

The chicken Francais did not come out the way I expected an I was disappointed. I've never made it before and I guess I was expecting something different. Honestly, I think I just followed a bad recipe and when you mix that with high expectations you will get negative results. Oh well, you live and you learn.

I'll post the pics soon and I hope to become a steady contributor to this thread. I really enjoyed cooking today and want to experiment some more

IOU is a beast in the kitchen.

Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself, mate. I was a bit nervous on the Fracaise when you didn't have any parmesan, etc. I'm sure your girl appreciated the fact you put in the effort.

You took on some pretty interesting dishes for a non confident cook!

For reference, this is the recipe I followed.

http://www.food.com/recipe/chicken-francais-131839

It has a 3 star rating, maybe I should have went with a 5 star recipe, haha.

Here are the pics. Sorry for all the rambling.

ZsHkh1k.jpg

Brie Bread came out perfect. I will try with a different cheese next time.

t9whFNR.jpg

Stuffed mushrooms came out wonderful, although the pic doesn't do them justice. I stuffed them with the mushroom stems, bacon, onion & garlic. I topped it with mozzarella cheese.

MHPtXTc.jpg

dflQZMV.jpg

The sampler!

No pics of the chicken because I was disappointed. Also, I'm sorry if the pics are huge. I'm posting from my phone so I can't judge the size of them.

Thanks Protester.. I ain't really a beast in the kitchen.. I'm just somewhat decent at following instructions and mind you.. I didn't start cooking until my 30s(yes old).. And I started with Hamburger Helper... The thing I need to work on is straight up freestyle cooking.. I have troubles straying from recipes... But its getting there. So you new jacks.. Just fucking start as mad simple as you can.. And here are some flicks:

9316758267_b45dca90a8_c.jpg

Ground beef Mexican style salad..

9316754253_57fda004e4_c.jpg

Salmon with a ginger mustard sauce and a watermelon cucumber salad with lemon juice..

9319474890_1139487106_c.jpg

Okay so here my own dish type deal.. Using a braising method from another recipe, I made Chicken Thigh and Potato braised in a Tomatillo Chipotle Roasted Sauce.. This was damn good and pretty fucking simple..

Can someone enlighten me. I know Italians brag about how long their sauce has been cooking etc yet I fail to see the sense in cooking sauces so long. Ive made tomato sauces within at least an hour and they were perfect. Is there a need to cook that long? Is it the skin or the tomato? Flavors dont take that long to infuse together so please tell me! I want educated responses from those educated. I understand if its to be reduced then that takes time and the scorching aspect. I dunno I just have never gotten the whole thing.

It is because the sugars change overtime, and the cells continue to break down to create a more luscious sauce. (In Theory). I cook sofritto for like 45 min to an hour, and it's fuckin good enough for me. Pressing through a chinoise will help to create a perfect tension, or a tamis if you have one.

I was thinking about making sushi. I just figured all I had to do was throw the ingredients in and roll it up like a fat ass blunt but I'm sure it's more complicated than that

This made me lol. Making sushi rice is much more difficult than a tortilla, and is also much more difficult/tricky to deal with. And proper fish cutting is important, unless you just use krab sticks (kani) or lump crab, or all veggies or some shit. I would offer advice, but i'm fuckin tired of thinking about sushi riht now, busy fucking night tonight. a LOT of this brand of bullshit tonight...

999035_302739899871566_1879820187_n_zps5039e062.jpg

-red.

Quick little breakky. Poached egg, hash, asparagus tips, home made chipotle hot sauce, Maldon sea salt.

6738_520117324690596_246983715_n.jpg

Double r ranch carpaccio, asparagus puree, baby kale and fennel salad, chiaogga beets, fried egg vinaigrette, Murray river.

969949_532655610103434_162428072_n.jpg

Dessert special; bacon fat ganache, bourbon caramel and hazelnut terrine, bourbon Ice cream, candied hazelnuts, sugar "glass"

988605_535474449821550_897026103_n.jpg

Pan roasted black cod, roasted potatoes & beets, turnip & radish greens, baby turnips & radish, mustarda vin, sea salt, olive oil

1044333_537565649612430_553596693_n.jpg

Fish special: baked halibut, baby kale, dashi, maitake mushrooms, charred spring onion greens, salad of radish shoots, shaved radish, crispy maitakes, pickled nectarines, sesame oil.

1044036_538626152839713_591986354_n.jpg

My take on gravlax and bagels. House cured gravlax, sour Batard croutons, arugula, spring onions, tomato vin, parsley powder, fried capers

1044088_540001799368815_1613888755_n.jpg

house smoked trout potato cake, smoked trout, herbed ricotta creme, smoked trout roe, tarragon oil, micro bulls blood.

1011985_545572242145104_2122241055_n.jpg

just a little of what i have been up to lately as far as specials go. That bacon no fat docket gets me every time! Fucktards man it's crazy.

• Like 1

yo, that sugar 'glass' (isomalt) in even small quatities can cause extremely loose stool.

Beleedat.

Side note, new chef at the restaurant I used to work in - Has worked at El Bulli, Alinea, Mugaritz and Noma. If you know where i'm at, you should DEFINITELY check this place out, it's leaps and bounds better than when I was there, and I wish I could go back now...kind of... the owner is still a piece of shit.

It is really depressing that I left there, and now these changes are being made. But when I left, so did both the sous chefs and a line cook,and had I not left we would all still be there in misery, under a weak chef. I opened the flod gates to the chef losing his job, and now I kinda want to go back and experience it in it's glory. Def the best restaurant in the region now, by a LONG shot.

*edit - although, is it bad if I stash my anxiety pills behind my "Joy of Cooking" book? Anyone else in the industry reached the breaking point that they needed medication?

Protestor, fuck all that medication bullshit. The side effects will fuck you up more than it helps. Smoke some weed and you'll chill out and be able to fall asleep.

anyway, here's some pics from this week. I need a camera. My phone pics are bad.

Wifey made a Caprese Sandwich for lunch the other day. Chicken, Mozzarella, Basil Pesto & tomatoes

XcRzmcal.jpg

xWQVfj9l.jpg

I could eat that sandwich everyday, so fucking delicious!

I made this for brunch. A hamburger with sauteed garlic, basil tomato & onions. I topped it with a fried egg as well.

I should have cleaned it up before snapping a pic but I was too hungry and wanted to eat. The pic quality is pretty bad too, sorry. It was super tasty though!

FBuok5el.jpg