post your meals photo superpooperthread!!

alure

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

That burger looks delicious.

red, you get my amazingly slow PM, mate?

I'm going to try and do some bourbon smoked rib eyes tomorrow. Have never smoked anything before in my life. The plan is to just use a BBQ tray with some of my bourbon barrel shavings in there, with some Beechwood chips, then sit the rib eyes on top. I know smoking/BBQ is a serious American past time - so wondering if anyone has any tips?

They are 800G bone in rib eyes. It's a gas BBQ with a lid.

Any help is appreciated.

Ive never smoked anything either. Ive been reading up a bit on smoking cheeses, but thats a lil different when it comes to meat. My dad always smoked a bunch when i was younger, but it was mainly fish and chicken.

Reminds me of some douche my family knows. Bragged about his smoked pork loin. Went to one of his gatherings. He kept bragging about how its been smoking for hours on end. I glance over and sure enough he had a smoker going, yet he pops it open and what do ya know the idiot has the pork loin in a reynolds cook bag....shmuck.

Fuckin.... Aight.... Mind is blown...

So there are two ways that you can approach smoking meats, you can hot smoke them and get them up to final temperature while they are in teh smoker,

or

You can cold smoke them around 160*F (90*C or so) and finish cooking after you have chillled it.

Ribeye is a thick meat, it can stand up to hot smoking easily. The most important thing about smoking meats though, is that you have to drink beer while doing it... no wait.... that's not it...

Salting the meat quite a while before hand helps to develop what is called a pellicle on the meat, which helps the smoke to stick the the exterior of the meat and gets a proper 'smoky' taste.

I have 7 years of professional smokery behind me, and I'm not talkin drugs. Gimme questions if you got em.

Redeye dropping some knowledge. Love it. Just finished some dinner and I was pleased at the turn out except for screwing up some rice....yes yes I know its only rice but Im still without a stove so Im stuck with a skillet boiler and a toaster oven. Still trying to make it happen though.

Found that my local grocery does sell duck yet Ive always looked past it. yet I must say its a whole duck, frozen. Sure Ill tackle that soon enough.

Wanted to cycle to another protein and being that ive been eating more than my fair share of bacon lately I chose Salmon. Bacon Wrapped Salmon basically smothered in a Brie creamed spinach and topped with a raspberry red wine sauce. Lil broccoli on the side. Missing the rice....

baconwrap.jpg

That looks ace! Nice.

So. I did the smokin'.

nySoFqj.jpg

Sea salt, Brown sugar, Black peppercorns, Garlic, Mustard seeds, Rosemary, Paprika, Ginger, Onion, Chilli// Rub

goCR9Ln.jpg

Used a smoker box thingo, thought I may as well go the easy route to start with.

ER8r2To.jpg

30 minutes in, left them for 35'ish@150. Should've taken them out at 25. Live and learn.

3PnHMSE.jpg

This piece was seared first;

FJZXT05.jpg

This piece was unseared;

OOUg0Kt.jpg

Really keen to go at it again. My BBQ is way too open, and my spot is very windy, we're in the top ten locality for mean wind speed for Australia (where's our parade?). So all the smoke kind of blew away too easily. Still had an awesome smoke flavour though.

They were definitely over done, but they were still incredibly tender.

Had some left over so threw it through some mushrooms/spring onion w/ some mash, and made up a Bourbon sauce from my latest batch of 'shine.

//1 cup ketchup

2 tablespoons Dijon mustard

2 tablespoons dark brown sugar

2 tablespoons maple syrup

2 tablespoons cider vinegar

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper

2 shots of bourbon (I used Maker's)

2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped

Juice of 1/2 orange (1/8 cup)//

R46CmIn.jpg

U02EcHp.jpg

No photo of it drowned in sauce... too tasty to fuck about with photerrss!

I am starting to understand what all the fuss is about. This sauce is like crack.

Anyway. That's my first effort. I'll bore you with more southern hemisphere renditions of American classics. Stay tuned!

Oh. And Bourbon chocolate mousse/custard to finish me off.

DyD6BWD.jpg

• Like 1

So to start...it was a plating disaster! yet Im learning. Actually bough 3 different shaped plates to help broaden my presentation ability.

Drumsticks marinated in coconut milk with curry powder, garlic, cilantro, and lime. Separately prepared a curry with green curry paste (sad I know but I cant find anywhere that has a curry selection), tumeric, cumin, chili powder, clove, onion, garlic, coconut milk, potatoes, and green apples. Chili oil from chili powder (scooped too deep and kinda ruined its look). The remaining coconut milk I had I sweetened and reduced it to drizzle over top.

Besides it looking horrible on the plate the flavors were really great.

drumstix.jpg

@AMF: It's interesting you say that, generally when a barrel is at the end of its life it is because there is no real flavour coming out of it any more. I can imagine barrel shavings holding some wine flavour, but if you cut a cross section of a stave you'll find that the wine/port only penetrates a very small distance into the wood. I would wager (now that I'm a one time expert), that you'd get the same or better results by soaking chips in port/wine.

I'm using some charred staves out of one of my bourbon barrels for the next run.

I have never had the opportunity to use wine barrels as a smoking chip, but as protestor was saying, the wine actually only penetrates a very thin layer of the cask, much like it only penetrates about 1/4" of the cork. I'm also not so sure that soaking them in wine would have good results, because the wine may produce a bitter smoke depending on the sugar content and tannins in the wine.

Definitely something to look into, but I have no real answers on this subject.

We used port wine soaked chips and cold smoke lamb. Its not a strong smoke flavor, more of a subtle compliment to the meat.

I wish I had the ability to flick everything I/we are doing but I dont have enough hands or enough balls to bring my phone out on the line. So I have a shitty, overhead, pre-garnish picture of my favorite dish this menu... Duck Two Ways.

8454287305_6ace21195b_z.jpg

Duck breast roulade. Country ham wrap and foie gras mousseline. Sous vide then pan seared.

Braised duck thigh croquette fried in clarified duck fat.

20 mile sweet potato puree with ginger scallion broth.

8455381746_a27eba3d44_z.jpg

Also doing a ridiculous amount of phallic sausage making. We get whole hogs, lambs, ducks, chickens, etc. so whatever is left gets stuffed in a casing, terrine or turned into stock.

Where you at now Red? Im trying to come eat.