post your meals photo superpooperthread!!

alure

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I learned my knife hold was wrong within the first 2 weeks of kitchen classes. Shit happens, then you get better.

School is for learning the hows and whys that have always come to mind when cooking, it is for furthering a passion that is already alive within yourself. Culinary school is not like university bullshit so far.

• Like 1

i went to the culinary academy in s.f.

save your money. not worth it. i regreted going there.

the school is currently being sued by a few hundred former students.

when i tried to apply for jobs and told them that i was attending that school, the employers didnt care about the school. they wanted to pay me minimum wage, and put me as a dish washer. they wanted real world experience. not school experience.

but dont take it from me, anthony bourdain pretty much wrote a chapter called So You Want To Be a Chef in his book 'Medium Raw'. he hit it dead on.

"Ask yourself first: is this culinary school even any good? If you’re not going to the Culinary Institute of America, Johnson and Wales, or the French Culinary Institute, you should investigate this matter even more intently, because the fact is, when you graduate from the Gomer County Technical College of Culinary Arts, nobody hiring in the big leagues is going to give a shit. A degree from the best culinary schools is no guarantee of a good job. A degree from anywhere less than the best schools will probably be less helpful than the work experience you could have had, had you been out there in the industry all that time"

http://ruhlman.com/2010/09/so-you-wanna-be-a-chef%E2%80%94-by-bourdain-2/

First off if anyone thinks they are gonna walk into some position worth a damn straight out of school without any experience is a fucking idiot. You have to pay your dues just like anyone else. Ive said this before but, ,culinary school is what you make of it. If you take it seriously then it can do wonders for your career. It's helped me and I had already put in 7 years in kitchens. But now with my experience plus schooling im in the garaunteed saute or grill position and even lead or sous positions. Experience is key though. You gotta have grit behind the ears before you get any respect. And dennys doesnt count.

First off if anyone thinks they are gonna walk into some position worth a damn straight out of school without any experience is a fucking idiot. You have to pay your dues just like anyone else. Ive said this before but, ,culinary school is what you make of it. If you take it seriously then it can do wonders for your career. It's helped me and I had already put in 7 years in kitchens. But now with my experience plus schooling im in the garaunteed saute or grill position and even lead or sous positions. Experience is key though. You gotta have grit behind the ears before you get any respect. And dennys doesnt count.

this. I've already been in the industry 8 years, this is just getting me the paper credibility and formal french training to hone skills.

i had about 7 years experience when i went to culinary school.

i chose schools poorly and have paid for it in a lot of ways.

just avoid le cordon bleu schools no matter what. in comparison to CIA, j&w, and a few others the differences are night and day. a community college would have offered the same degree as LCB at 1/4 the cost.

while i was still cooking the degree did benefit as it showed i was committed to the industry, but equal experience to a CIA grad was noticeable, particularly in the pastry side of the house.

cook outs popping up in my area. Heard good things. Enjoyed my shake

95108826.jpg

sirloin and crab cake from work with some veges...next day re heat so it wasnt as good as it could of been.

71802805.jpg

same old pasta med I always post. Left over day. Rotisserie chicken, apple wood smoked bacon, spinach, and seasonings.

28548905.jpg

pork terrine crusted with dehydrated carrot cake and pistachios; and crispy skin confit belly with white bean purée and heirloom carrot salad

PorkBelly.jpg

barramundi//

Barramundi-3.jpg

Sous-vide lamb cutlet

with braised lamb shoulder and chickpea ragout, marinated eggplant, zucchini and yoghurt dressing

LmabChops.jpg

Mango and mascarpone cannelloni

with fresh seasonal fruits and crushed honeycomb

MangoLog.jpg

A bit like Cherry ripe

bittersweet chocolate marquise, cherry compote, coconut sorbet and cocoa wafers

CherryRipe.jpg

House made petits fours

PetitFours.jpg

• Like 1