the return of This Is How We Do It(soon to be renamed thread about Montell Jordan)

lykeomgz

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Re: the return of SHREK

If you bothered to read my posts it's not about being plugged up with nostalgia. it's about looking for a level craftsmanship that has gone. Like so many things quality is gone in favor of quantity. You don't see mast house builders so much anymore, because new houses are generally kits.

If I was just "plugged up" wioth nostalgia i wouldn't me paking individual points on every picture I posted to defend my well thought out opinion.

Scooby Doo was funny, but drawn badly. Fact. Tarzan had terrible visuals, and the gay pseudo skate boarding on the vines shit was a cheap play at attracting a hipper aduience.

IAlso had you read my posts you would note that I did say I didn't hate everything new, and that I even like some CG, and Anime. Which are so not nastalgic or traditional. Grow up? I didn't realise having an educated opinion meant I was childish. I would have thought calling me "Bra" and telling me to screw because scooby doo is the best thing to watch while "blazin up" would fall more into the "Grow up" catagory.

Fucking Nerd.

:lol: :lol: good show old chap, i think i misinterpeted your words as well, it happens. I grew up in the last days of the good cartoon network, and i loved the old cartoons, which you have a point everything does seem rather "clean" if you catch my drift. and the bra thing was an attempt at being funny :P it failed perhaps? i still disagree on the tarzan bit though, the whole vine thing was the shit.

yo, i remember seeing that cobweb hotel cartoon! i forgot about that shit until i saw the screen shots of it on that link you posted. it was on this vhs tape my friend had, it was like a compilation of cartoons i think. i remember they all scared me, and i would have trouble falling asleep if we watched them before we went to bed when i would sleep over his house(i was in gradeschool then). crazy, thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Here's some links to good stuff.

The Dover Boys of Pimento University. 1942. Chuck Jones.

Swing You Sinners. 1930. Max Fliescher.

Betty Boop. 1930's. Maz Fliescher. Cab Calloway used as the music and one of the characters.

Buggs Bunny. Wackiki Wabbit. Halrious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI3FeV7tyFU&mode=related&search=

Buggs Bunny. Rabbit of seville.

One of my favorites. Buggs Bunny. Transylvania 6-500. The name is a reference to a Glen Miller song of the ear called Pennsylvania 6-500 which was his wifes old phone number when he was courting her. Doesn't relate to the cartoon, but still...

Great clip from Tom and Jerry. One of the only times that Tom gets to have a voice even though its Louis Jordan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09M6W4BRA1o

w38Pk_goodbg1.jpg

Everything about this is awesome. You get the feel for how chilli it is, what season it is, how it probably smell in that woodsy area, and guess what? The clouds are fucking pink on a perriwinkle sky. With a teal mountain in the background.

Drop the old man, and this would make a dope arse canvas.

I just might have to bite this style.

hers an awesome short by Cuck Jones from '62.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pje1Ebc5v0&mode=related&search=

Another Jones toon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmSbdvzbOzY&mode=related&search=

Gerald Mc Boing Boing. Bobe Cannon toon. Loved it.

'Nother Cannon toon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUrs3IOARt8&mode=related&search=

Re: the return of SHREK(soon to be renamed thread about cartoons)

KOH: good call on the tom & jerry (and the rest for that matter). I've been into those above all else since I was a little kid and what you were saying about backgrounds is on point--especially with T & J. if you look at the early ones, there's a level of creativity/detail/attention that is just nuts. unlike a lot of the other hanna-barbera "interpretive" BGs. those MGM prods of 40-58 straight kill... it's not until the later h-b (like 75-ish) that things get lazy... probably in response to competition from the more cheaply-produced stuff coming out...

anyway.....

volume10-the-flying-sorceress.jpg

volume5-the-mouse-comes-to-dinner-cut-scene2.jpg

check the shading on the sideboard and silverware...

catfishin4.jpg

tjtt153.jpg

Exactly. Thank you.

I forgot about the flying sorceress. Good call. I have been trying to find the Tom and Jerry that was by Chuck Jones where they were secret agents in a James Bond fashion.

You're probably thinking of "The Mouse from H.U.N.G.E.R."--a nice play on the big spy crazy of the late-60s (i.e. "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.")

When i first saw this thread, i was happy because i thought sheek louch was coming out with a new cd.

then i realized it said shrek. needless to say, i am thoroughly disappointed.

Do you disagree about Shrek and other modern cartoons and animations sucking ballsacks?

Yes, I do. I can appreciate movies like "Shrek" graphic-wise, along with the humor. I can also respect and understand that these cartoons are just evolving with the times and technology. "Modern cartoons" (did it start with Toy Story?) and their precursor counterparts both have their point and place. It's possible to appreciate the work, skill, visuals, and humor that goes into both "modern cartoons" and the older cartoons.

One thing I like about modern cartoons is that there IS more dialogue, as you said -- and there's more pop-culture references, and aspects of everyday life infused with the storyline (such as the Cope2 throwup). This wasn't really done with the older cartoons (80's/early 90's and before)... there may have been and probably were such pop-culture references back then, but it's probably harder for me to detect or relate to since that was during a different time-period. Whatever the case, I think it's safe to say that a greater focus on dialogue and pop-culture is far more prevelant in today's animated films than in the past.

*Coincidentally, as I type this, people nearby are talking about Shrek.

If you bothered to read my posts it's not about being plugged up with nostalgia. it's about looking for a level craftsmanship that has gone. Like so many things quality is gone in favor of quantity.

Where was the "level of craftmanship" in old cartoons, in aspects such as background art -- a character would be running and you'd see the background move by fast and see the same scene and characters repeated over and over as the character continues to "run". In newer cartoons you won't see that.

Like I said, I like those old cartoons, but they had their time and place. It's time to move on and expound on bigger and better things.

Drop the old man, and this would make a dope arse canvas.

I just might have to bite this style.

Nothing wrong with that.

"If there is something to steal, I steal it!" - Pablo Picasso

I think anyone is lying if they claim their style is 100% original. Everyone borrows. It's about fusing all of those influences with your own distinctiveness to create your own style.

Re: the return of TREK(soon to be renamed thread about Mountain bikes)

i love those old cartoons but they are no longer cost effective, however there are a lot of good looking cartoons out there now, IMO.

those old backgrounds were the shit! those old backgrounds were the shit!

but now with some 3d software and some scenery plug ins you can make unendingly different backgrounds, but they still do the repeats a lot, to keep render times down re-use what you got.

Re: the return of This Is How We Do It(soon to be renamed thread about Montell Jordan

I dont understand how they cant be cost effective. They had drastically smaller bugets. How can Sponges, a few brushes and some guache be less cost effective than expesive computers, programs and the loot to pay the dude who knows how to use it all?

As far as moving on to bigger and better things, the older cartoons still ahve a place. that style is still prevelant in certain areas. Just look at the Powerpuff girls, Samurai Jack, and Dexters Lab not to mention Fosters Home for imaginary friends. These are the few people who can take some insipration from the older UPA 2d designy cartoons, and the more modern humor of Ren and Stimpy and make it translate to a more modern setting. I just don't see much in the way for features that arent tech dick flex.

Re: the return of This Is How We Do It(soon to be renamed thread about Montell Jordan

i think you over estimate some of the costs involved in the computer arena.

only a few dudes need to know much about those programs. and once youve built and rigged a model its there to be used forever.

the sponges and burshes are the least of the cost, consider a 25 minute cartoon done at ever 12 frames a second, thats 18,000 frames on at least some portion of each frame being unique, thats a fuck load of work, story board, roughs, finals line drawings of Key frames, the in between frames then need to be drawn, then everything ends to be inked, as well you need to decide whats going to be on what cell, then you have to photograph and develop each one of the 18,000 frames, fade ins and outs and or transistions all take a good level of technical precision and know how to do well. if it were cost effective the computer would not be used as much as it is.

Oh, man, I've been ignoring this thread all day because I'm so sick of hearing about Shrek. But I fucking love those old cartoons. I actually prefer the even older stuff, like old black and white Popeye, Betty Boop, and Bosco. I have tons of DVDs of that stuff, and I'll just throw them on with the sound off and play records in the background when I'm working around the house. I'm also a big fan of Roadrunner, Tom and Jerry, Heckle and Jekkyl, as well as some newer stuff like Dexter's Lab and Ren and Stimpy, which do have that old flavor. Dexter's Lab in particular has some outstanding backgrounds that have definitely influenced my graffiti.

I remember being pretty blown away when Toy Story came out, and thinking it was an interesting technique. But I'm really not feeling most of this new computer animated stuff. The Incredibles was really well done-- I liked how they made it look more like claymation than animation. It also had a solid storyline. Monster house was good too. But overall, I'm with KOH. They're never going to top the beauty and creativity of the golden age of animation.

I guess I have to be the shitty curmudgeon then.

closed mind much. i present you with a compelling argument that sort of destroys your previous comment and thats all i get?

not even a, "hmmmph that makes sense i stand corrected; but ill remain stuck in the mud" ?

lame dude.

closed mind much. i present you with a compelling argument that sort of destroys your previous comment and thats all i get?

not even a, "hmmmph that makes sense i stand corrected; but ill remain stuck in the mud" ?

lame dude.

Nah give me till the morning and then my shitty mood will have lifted. Appologies. I was at work and having a shit day. I'll get back in here tomorrow and we can intellectually duke it out some more. Maybe I will be in a good enough mood to make fun of your hair and you can poke fun at my mustacio.