Does this happen to american workers?

shitting

bojangles' thread made me remember this conversation i had last night.

my girl brought up how she went for a job interview afew weeks ago which she was offered and rejected.

Apparently the interviewer asked her, 'have you ever worked for a business that makes you pay out of your own pocket when the registers came up short at the end of the shift'?

My girl replied laughing, 'oh no, of course not.' As in: thats ridiculous who the fuck would do that?Then interviewer said 'well, uh..We have a policy here then when the tills are under, after some problem solving, we ask you to pay out of your wages.'

At this point the job was rejected

I find this so fucking disgusting. I had a friend a while back who actually allowed this to happen to him which outraged me at the time, but he was working in some little bakery so it wasn't that surprising.

However, the job my girl was going for was the Sydney aquarium, which must have hundred of staff and alot of turnover. Basically its a big fucking business. I find this so fucking absurd and can't believe anyone who wasn't dying of hunger would oblige this 'policy'. I don't know about the legality of this but its a fucking disgrace

So I'm wondering, does this happen in the US? how widespread is it? etc

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Thank John Howard and his new IR laws, shit's just gonna get worse.

I have heard of shit like this happening all over australia recently, i had an employer refuse to pay me for a full night's shift because they said i was being "trained" for the job. even though i was just working in the same capacity as other employees, without any training going on. at that point i told them to go fuck themselves and never went back.

it's especially a joke when there was no real training happening...

your girl should consider herself lucky that she didn't get the job... if an employer enforces a rule making employees pay for difference in the days takings there is a pretty good chance that they would try to exploit her in other circumstances, it is unfortunate that "workchoices" has legalised all the shiesty shit that employers pull.

Well if you saw some of the variances that happened on the bottlo registers (mostly due to human error/tards I had to work with/see beast I posted in the myspace thread a while back as an example) you would go broke within a month or so.

I used to fucken go crazy racking my brain trying to figure out where the fuckup happened, I can't believed I took pride in my job enough to really care, it so wasn't worht the pittance I was getting paid. I am so glad to be out of that place.

it has been known to happen in the bar i work in / run.

if the tills are shockingly down, and for a consistent period the manager might take some cash out of the collected staff tips to sort it. ive only heard this happen once.

more often than not, when i go to cash up at the end of the evening we are generally down on cash - usually between 5 and 20 quid. in the bar industry, this is not uncommon as its such a fast paced environment genuine mistakes can be made.

the other day though, i thought one of our new staff was a bit suspect so me and the boss checked out the tills and cctv. we have 3 tills on the bar, and the wierd thing was we were pretty confident we saw him take cash from one till on 2 occasions. yet that till was actually up, when cashed out it was the other two tills which were down??!

confuzling.

i had an employer refuse to pay me for a full night's shift because they said i was being "trained" for the job. even though i was just working in the same capacity as other employees, without any training going on. at that point i told them to go fuck themselves and never went back.

that happens everywhere and is common place. nothing wrong about it.

so what happens if the register comes up with extra money?

do you get to keep it?

my cousin tried to get a job at a hardware store and was turned down because he had got caught for underage drinking 5 years ago. seems strange to me, he is 21 now paid all the fines, didnt break probation and i would have thought that would be only on his juvenile record. what is he supposed to do never work again because he had a few drinks when he

was a kid?

She should have asked if the till was over at the end of the day if she gets a bonus.

haha no shit..

i had a manager at footlocker tell us if the till was short we would have to pay and we all laughed at him and told him to go back to hong kong and brush his teeth.

I don't think its legal, but that doesn't mean the manager cant make up that policy to make his store look better

i worked for a grocery store when i was younger, and sometimes i'd come up short. it was never an issue as long as it didn't always happen, and/or it wasn't too much money. i'd never pay out of my pocket to balance the register. no way.

also, i'd never except a job that didn't pay for training...i can't even imagine being ok with that.

I used to work in a place where this happened

but only if your till was down by more than (i think) $20 and then you paid half the difference

so if your till was down $30 you paid $5. and if there was more than one person on the till that was divided even further

i don't think it's too bad I mean if you can remember to take the cash after a transaction then you should pay.

but I worked at a pub where you might be down a couple of beers or you might have over rung something

i think it's abit steep when the first mistake you make is gonna cost $30!

The following are examples of situations when deductions are not allowed from the employee's wages during an on-going employment relationship:

Example 1. Customer's bad check or credit card: The amount of a customer's check that is returned for nonsufficient funds when an employee accepts a check in violation of established policies, or if an employee accepts a customer's bad credit card in violation of established policies.

Example 2. Shortage from cash register: The amount of a till shortage even when an employee participates in cash accounting at the beginning and end of their shift, has sole access to the cash register, and is short at the end of the shift.

Example 3. Customer walks out without paying: An unpaid bill when a customer leaves the restaurant without paying even when an employee is not watching their customers at a restaurant and ignores the fact the customers are finished dining and are ready for their check.

Example 4. Damage or loss: The cost for replacing broken glasses when the employee drops a tray of glasses when unloading the dishwasher.

I've worked in a grip of places where if I a server comes up short on cash, they have to cover the difference in their tips.

I think its situational. working in a high volume enviroment, mistakes can and do happen. but if a trend with one particular worker comes up where they always end up being short, then you have to question things.

The first time I heard of this was with my last job. It wasnt manditory but if the drawer was off by more than 5 dollars you got written up so people would put in a buck or whatever to keep from getting written up. I only really saw one case of this anyhow. Seems weird.