vets are from hell. i feel like throwing up.

rental

i just euthanised a cat. it was a stray, and it got hit by a car a couple days ago, i think. i didnt know that no one lived at the house it hung around until abc told me. i wanted to adopt it. its jaw was shattered, and largely gone. it had maggots in its face and paws. it reeked because its flesh was rotting off or infected.

this lady at the animal hospital showed a flicker of emotion, but aside from that flicker, she went about her merry little way. like a reporter on the nightly news who goes on to the next report. she said it would be at least a couple thousand dollars to treat this cat. it was just her demeanor. i understand everything she said to me about treatment and euthanasia.

i heard the people that lived at the house it hung around moved because the building was unsafe. they or the spca tried to catch it for a long time, but it would always run away. i could pick it up today because it was so weak.

i still have the smell in my nose. it makes me sick. cats have saved my life. true story.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
cats dont give a shit about their owner. they also have no idea whatsoever about whats going on around them. at least thats how it seems when i encounter cats

cats love their owners, they just don't show it the way dogs do. just cos they don't jump all over you trying to lick your face or hump your leg doesn't mean they don't love you

Last week I found a kitten near where I live, completely starved to the point it could barely walk, shitting blood, and covered in ants. Little dude wouldn't have lasted the day. Took him in, fed him, cleaned him up, went to the vet, and now he's at home being awesome. He was just basically in shitty overall health, no missing jaw or maggots, so the bill wasn't massive.

Once, on a long camping trip across PR, we found two abandoned puppies in the middle of the forest. It was raining like crazy, and these two guys were completely exposed, nudging up against a big rock that was basically just dropping a waterfall on their heads. One of them seemed pretty lively and in good shape, the other one was huddled and wouldn't stop whimpering. When we picked him up, he had a hole in his stomach with maggots crawling out, and I nearly lost my shit. It was a tough situation cause it was a Sunday (which was gonna be followed by a holiday), we were in an unfamiliar town where nobody knew where to reach a veterinarian, and as shitty as it sounds, we were not gonna cut our long-planned trip short because of puppies. We eventually found a veterinarian office, but it was closed and nobody answered any of the phones listed for it. We built a nice shelter with some boxes and clothes, bought some puppy food, a bowl of water, and set it up on the front steps with a note describing how we found them and how at least one of them seemed to be in a pretty shit situation. Never knew if they survived the night (or the one after it, since it was a holiday and we didn't know if the veterinarian would come into work).

this lady at the animal hospital showed a flicker of emotion, but aside from that flicker, she went about her merry little way. like a reporter on the nightly news who goes on to the next report. she said it would be at least a couple thousand dollars to treat this cat. it was just her demeanor.

having worked for both the spca and private veterinary practices and have to put down more animals than i could ever count i have to tell you this isnt uncommon. its not that she didnt care, its just that after you see things like that day in and day out you have to cut yourself off from the emotinal aspect of what you are doing or you will kill yourself. thats not a figure of speech either. you really will get very depressed and become self destructive. it happens to a lot of people in that line of work.

on the positive side ive never worked in a field where so many people cared about what they are doing. they may not show it but they are there because they want to help animals. thats the truth.

Guest R@ndomH3ro

I agree with boogie...I know a lot of people that work in vets office. They love animals to death, but seeing crippled animals everyday you would have to get desensitized to it to keep your mental health.

That lady may have been unemotional at the office, but I bet it hit her on her way home.

eh, i know how that goes. I've taken in a bunch of animals from PAWS, a low-kill shelter by my house. I take in little guys, feed them up, give them their meds, then send them back to the shelter to get adopted out. Not all of them survive, but I still end up crying over them and working myself up for a couple days. I used to want to be a vet, I was already doing summer jobs at age twelve to put money away for college. Then I started taking in all these animals and realized how much it hurt to have to see one of them not make it and realized that I would either a. become desensitized and hate myself for basically not caring or b. tear myself up and end up having to find a new line of work because i couldn't handle that stress. or well... i guess there's a C... I would get bored of an office-type job and have to find something new to do.

cats dont give a shit about their owner. they also have no idea whatsoever about whats going on around them. at least thats how it seems when i encounter cats

ahh no way!

i took in a stray about 3 months ago ("Uzi") and i swear, every time i come home from work she starts crying for attention when she hears me coming up the stairwell.

some days i have trouble walking across my apt. without tripping cuz she be always rubbin up on muh legs n sheit.

way cooler than your average bitch-ass cat.

Cats do give a shit about their owner.

Last night, I was at this girl's house and this cat was totally super protective. And anytime the girl got kind of mad at me, the cat got mad, too. But when the girl was feeling me, the cat totally got friendly with me. It was cute.

btw, I smashed.

vets aint from hell at all in fact they probabaly come from the other place.

the vet that helped me when some asshole baited my dog was the picture of kindenss and caring but it's just a shitty time be involved with someone's family.

you'll never believe they were emotional enough to match your own tears but they are.

and it was a sick cat.

i disagree. one of my aunts is the stereotypical creepy-cat-lady... she had nine then eleven then five passed away over a couple years and was down to six then another died a few months ago, down to five, buttttttt... that's beside the point. one of her cats, jackie, will start crying / whining / meowing if she doesn't talk to him. like... if she is quiet for more than ten minutes he starts to meow then all she has to say is like "jackie, you're so pretty, i love you" blah blah and he'll leave her alone another few minutes... his twin, charlie, wont let her leave his sight when she's home. all but one of them will usually sit in the front room waiting for her to get home while she's out. the other one hides all around the house...

all of them were abused and / or abandoned and afraid of people for a good part of their lives but they all love her. she lives in a different state than me but when she comes in town she brings them all with because jackie an charlie wont eat for three-four days unless she feeds them, though they give up once they get too weak to walk and let you feed them one piece at a time for a couple days then eventually will eat from the bowl again.

I once found a juvenile magpie that had lost its way and I kept it in my garden for a bit. It seemed ok for a coupe of day until I found it lying on the ground breathing badly. I picked it up and my fingers went into an open wound that was crawling with maggots.

It was fucking disgusting

I shot it with an air rifle and buried it in the garden.