The Jimmy Hoffa's end zone cemetery...superthread

Guest mugshot

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 41.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gentrifried

• once upon a crime

• Jersey Official

• demerock

GARDEN SK8 2.0 SHOW TONITE NIGHT...

ART WORK BY:

DEMER PART

SNOW RAIN

MEK RAS

THEN 1 THE FRESH COLLECTIVE

BRONX TEAM HEF1

POSE2 DELVE

LANK KASSO

LIVE PERFROMANCES BY:

ANIMAL CRACKAS

VENOMOUS 2000

BLACK COLLAR BIZ

MANNY D

MTV SUCKER FREE SUNDAY SHOW WILL BE FILIMING THE EVENT!!!

GARDEN SK8

321 Changebridge Road

Pine Brook NJ 07058

actually..being a writer in that 25 - 30 year old age range, i don't really think things were all that different back in the mid 90s...

when i came up...there was no "scene" in central jersey really...you had a couple cats doing tags but in central jersey it was pretty much nace and jamz holding down the trainline spots in 93/94..then like xide and the rts kids in like 96, along with rime, kemos, chip...that was like pretty much a total of 10 writers, plus like lil and aezer and them...

we'd go to spots that never been painted before and it was pretty much always cool...i mean yeah sometimes we'd run aezer or hantos or desh out of a spot but it wasn't like we were on patrol looking to vamp kids...not all of us were racking paint back then either (i had crazy hookups and the sears scam was the shit)

i think the main difference from back then was the graffiti you saw was better...you were looking at writers with years of experience and knowledge and when you saw a dope ass piece it kicked your ass and you were like "damn"...i remember going to a spot for the first time in like 95 that was basically a TWK hall of fame and seeing this Snow production with a dragon that was fucking insane...or like a POSES TWK piece or like a ALOE piece and being like "damn"..because those dudes were fuckin dope...and that was the bar to try to reach..

Plus...NYC was way more of an influence and in the mid 90s the streets were crushed with DOPE shit..fly straight letters...pieced up lots...piecing factories in hipster infested areas pre hipster infestation..there was a lot more stylistic influence back then...since the Guilliani era and the buff of tons of graf history in NY...it seems like the quality of what gets painted has dropped...

Honestly..i think the internet pretty much ruined graffiti for a number of reasons...

1. it gives people who haven't paid dues a voice (not like paying dues makes your opinion matter but still)

2. it gives toys a forum to jerk each other off and give each other props so any asshole who can sorta do a straight letter gets bigged up by other assholes who can kinda do a straight letter...

3. it gives you access to TOO much shit and has basically killed any notion of regional style..kids trying to do MSK style pieces with BMT influenced throwups and attempted philly tags...

i mean there are other reasons...but still...

everything is way more authentic when "you" did it..like you have subway writers who dis freights like "ahh it's not like how it was in my day"...even if their day was when there were no fences at the yards and the worst you'd get would be a JV Card and a slap on the wrist..graf these days is pretty much watered down but so is everything else. Hip Hop is a joke compared to what it was. Indie rock fags ain't shit compared to NY/NJ Hardcore bands from the late 80s / early 90s...even clothing...back when you had to know how to flip shit to look fresh...i mean Tommy Hill and LO weren't exactly "streetwear" but you had to rock it right...now you have "streetwear" that is basically selling style in a just-add-money package....everything gets watered down if you were old enough to live it, and if you're coming up in it...you don't know the difference....it's just a generation thing...can't do shit about it since no one wants to listen anyway...

i thought i would bump this. How the internet ruined graff. his third point is On point couldent agree more