Anxiety...

holy roller.

Yeah if your feeling weird at a party your not drunk enough.

Everyone who's a friend of a friend or whatever that comes to parties fucking loves me. I get drunk as fuck, probably consume some other shit too, and wild the fuck out all night. I'm that crazy ass funny dude to everyone who doesn't know me on a sober basis.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've got something similar, but it really only hits me with any kind of public speaking situation. i absolutely loath that shit. i get all shakey and my heart starts pounding. then after the fact i get mad at myself because i realize i don't give a fuck about some bullshit audience.

dude i got the same problem...

i think mine stems from this big situation i was in back in the days, where i lost some really good friends to some he say she say bullshit, and just kinda fucked up my reality on how i view people / friendship etc.

during that time i got really depressed, kept to myself, and basically developed the ability to just be ok being by myself, and not worrying about anyone else or worrying about hanging with anyone else, even though id like to hang with other people, im fine being alone to...

which before that falling out with some of those good friends of mine, i was the life of the party, everyone wanted me around, i couldnt stand being bored by myself or lonely...

so i got real good at just being by myself, for instance the movies, i would never go to the movies or out to eat and sit by myself, id always want a friend around, now i dont give a fuck, ill do pretty much anything alone, except go downtown to bars / clubs....

Yeah mine is kind of similar, I was always alone when I was a little kid and I have adapted to it. It has caused me to use my imagination a great deal of the time. But now I feel trapped inside of it.

And I don’t smoke weed, or use any more, and I think that has had little or no affect on the situation.

I feel like it has been getting worse, and the friends that I do have, get irritated because I wont go out and congregate with others, or over to other people's houses with them. I don’t go by the popular spots where my friends hang out, because I don’t want to run into one of them.

Lately I have been hiking up this hill and reading out loud to myself, and it feels pretty good. But I’m still by myself.

Yeah mine is kind of similar, I was always alone when I was a little kid and I have adapted to it.

..........this is the same as how i had it growing up... isolated, but i got over it

It has caused me to use my imagination a great deal of the time. But now I feel trapped inside of it.

THIS IS EXACTLY HOW I FEEL.

weird.

edit**

i suck at quoting

na i dunno im more anti social because i havent been smoking weed. this could be because 90% of my friends smoke weed or because ive been working my ass off in school, or because i dont have a car.

everything is mental. its not like something physical is holding you back (unless you have some chemical unbalance, but that shits normal, there werent no anti depressents years ago or shit)

i dont know i used to consider myself some what shy, and i guess i still am, but basically i just dont give a fuck anymore and thats the kind of attitude you need. fuck other people. if they dont like you fuck them,

anxiety is worrying about shit that hasnt happened, stop worrying about it and do something about it.

my best friend has become weed dependant. i smoke with him but like ive cut down to weekends only. I was smoking too much and was getting turbo paranoid. I once sat infront of a fire with my eyes closed the entire night because i was that scared a bit would pop out and blind me for life. . .

Im worried about him though cos all he does is smoke and smoke and smoke. He cant do anything unless hes stoned. i dont know how to help him either. :S

but this aint about weed.

all i can say is, use the L.O.A. to change how you think, write down how you want to be and read them shits out loud, and imagine your self being that person you want to be, i mean really relish in the good feelings, and then let the universe adapt to your thoughts

my husband is kinda the same way..... it's like an on and off thing though.

and i get crowd anxiety. like at concerts... i get angry at people touching/rubbing up next to me (/no homo). i just like my space.

There is some good advice in this thread, but really the answer is to be comfortable with your own company first, otherwise nobody is going to be comfortable with you as company.

Don't go the meds route unless it is a last resort. I am prescribed some anti anxiety pills at present but haven't picked them up, as I fear they will mellow me out too much.

After my aunty had a heart attack today, maybe I should go and get these pills, as I'm sure anxiety must raise your blood pressure, which makes me a candidate for a heart attack.

I’m a very socially awkward dude, and especially when it comes to meeting new people. I even get this anxiety when I’m around people that I know pretty well, and it's mentally paralyzing, causing me to leave the group of people I’m with or even avoid meeting up with them in the first place. Sometimes when I’m at parties and shit, I get so nervous that I leave without telling anyone and go do my own thing. I’ve become pretty good at avoiding situations that induce these feelings, but that doesn't make the problem go away.

The problem is that I want to meet knew people and feel comfortable in the group. I’m tired of being the introvert and I want to talk to people but I just get so nervous. This shit even happens at my family gatherings. I want to get better at casually conversing with others without felling like an idiot. My mind just goes blank when I’m talking to someone, it's like I can only think straight when I’m by myself.

I feel like I need to be forced to experience these situations until I learn how to function, or get some kind of prescription for anti-anxiety, I don’t know but it drives me crazy!

Any advice?

join a gym, or start running. When your endorphins start pumping you'll feel a lot better.

The CO community always surprises me with threads like this, I'm glad that people responded with genuine advice instead of the "FUCK YOU WEAK NIGGAH! SMOKE SHERM!" replies that I expected.

Since high-school I have also struggled with anxiety, and most everyones descriptions here hit pretty close to home.

A year ago I was jobless for about 7 months. I would sleep until 5 or later every day, I didn't do shit. I was dead broke as well, so even if I wanted to go out with friends I really couldn't.

The lethargic state I was in, sleeping the day away, not doing shit are all symptoms of depression. That said, I think depression walks a thin line with anxiety. Who wouldn't be "depressed" if they were nervous around people 24/7?

Someone above suggested that you get a job that deals with people. I think this is a good idea. I ended up getting a job as a bouncer at a nightclub. Completely out of my element. It forces me to deal one on one with hundreds of people a day.

Like someone suggested earlier about talking to strangers, asking for the time etc etc, I was forced to have hundreds of these interactions a day. While at first it seemed overwhelming, I have no problem talking to random people these days because I forced myself to deal with the situation. I also made a ton of friends working there, seeing that everyone is around my age, doing the same shit.

I have been on every medication in the book, and nothing seems to help for general feelings of anxiety which you are describing. This doesn't mean that they don't work for everyone, they just don't seem to work for me. I still take massive amounts of adderall because it wakes me the fuck up.

As people have said above, if you smoke weed, stop.

I smoked for years, then all of the sudden I started getting all out panic attacks when I would smoke. Marijuana can increase feelings of paranoia, and to me anxiety is just that, general paranoia. No need to compound it.

I think that the next step I need to make is to start exercising. I intend on starting every week but somehow manage to put it off.

You are in a negative state of mind which can be rewired with effort.

Feel free to PM me if you want, I've been dealing with this shit for almost 6 years now.

Good luck.

What pissed me off tonight, was going shopping looking for a gift, being able to afford pretty much anything I wanted, yet not needing it, as I have everythign I need already. This depressed me as I would not obtain any joy from buying things. I ask myself WTF is wrong with me, but I realise I should be grateful for everything I have when some people have fuck all.

The thing I currently want, can't be bought, and it seems as though it can't be obtained. It is depressing, but shit, I need to do something drastic about it. Seriously.

Just put yourself out there into social situations stop avoiding shit and if your mind starts thinking "what's this person gonna think of me if I say this etc etc" just push that aside if you talk you don't think about bullshit and you focus on what your saying just do that a few times and it should get better

"A year ago I was jobless for about 7 months. I would sleep until 5 or later every day, I didn't do shit. I was dead broke as well, so even if I wanted to go out with friends I really couldn't."

Yeah duke I was jobless for almost a year. Granted for like 6 months of it I had a nice bankroll but I spent it all on drugs and clothes. The rest was realll wack. I feel 9000 times better after getting my job this week.

I know this has pretty much been said, but these are the things that worked for me. I was pretty awkward for a while, especially in high school, but even for a couple years after. The weed definately won't help, that's probably the main thing that still holds me back. But having a job where you have to talk to strangers in person all day will definately help you out. At my last job I worked as a cashier for about six months, and started off being real nervous and quiet around people. Then after having more or less the same interactions with people all day everyday, I realized that it doesn't reall matter, they're just people and not a reason to get nervous. Hitchhiking and travelling around the country also helped me because it forces you to talk to people you don't know. Now I can pretty much go up to anybody and, maybe not start a conversation because I hate small talk, but at least ask a question or introduce myself without getting too anxious. A lot of my anxiety had to do with how I looked, I was really self-conscious. I changed the way I looked a little bit, cleaned up and stopped wearing glasses, noticed that girls look at my a little different now which helps with the confidence a bit. Also, like someone else said, the exercise will help a lot with feeling more at ease. A good workout, even just jogging for 20-30 minutes will give you that runner's high that clears your mind and really relaxes you for the rest of the day. Do that a few times a week and you'll a lot better the rest of the time. Realize that a lot of people have the same thing going on that you do, it's pretty common, and don't stress too much about it, or think too hard about what you're gonna say. If you need advice or whatever you can PM me.

I think that the next step I need to make is to start exercising. I intend on starting every week but somehow manage to put it off.

seriously, you should probably lay off the "massive amounts of adderall" on workout days. high doses + prolonged strenuous activity = explodey heart :what: