A Toys' Questions

spindext

• 4 weeks later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, I'll ask the question here instead, there's someone who has the same tag as I got, and I've seen the tag before but I never thought about what it stood on it, anyway. Now I have the same tag, and I don't really feel like change it again cause I've changed tag so many times.

I'm a toy, but I can say that the guy who ran the same tag (It was a old tag and I don't think he is active anymore) was as good as my grandmother would be if she had a spraycan.

So I think my tags are way better than his, but it feels kinda weird anyway to have the same tag.

Any advices?

it depends. if you know that he is retired for some time or that he didn't had a very big impact on the scene then it should be okay, granted you don't bite his style.

If he's an accomplished or prolific writer, keeping your tag is more questionable. It's safer to go pick another tag, but if you are stuck on that tag you can change small details on yours (like adding or removing a letter; or writing it with a number, e.g.DICK2; etc ) that would not compromise your overall style and allow your tag to retain its individuality.

• 4 weeks later...

I changed my tag a while ago, but there's this guy who is one of the most active in my town, and his crew is probably the most famous in my town. And his tag is almost, almost the same as mine. Lets say that his are State and mine are Spate, you guys think I should change even though there are like 2 letters that arent the same but when you say it it sounds kinda the same?

I changed my tag a while ago, but there's this guy who is one of the most active in my town, and his crew is probably the most famous in my town. And his tag is almost, almost the same as mine. Lets say that his are State and mine are Spate, you guys think I should change even though there are like 2 letters that arent the same but when you say it it sounds kinda the same?

If you have way different styles then thats OK. If not, change your name or a lot of shit will come up later in your "career".

If you keep your name like that people gonna clown you hard bro graffiti is about making your OWN style of letters thats why we do it if you want to just copy his shit then change 1 letter its not gonna happen you would get clowned by your whole city so thats a NO GO

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, i developed my handstyles based on what i've seen and what i like when it comes to graffiti. i started with the basic letters, they looked pretty boring to be honest. but as i went along, if i seen someones "A" that i liked, i would switch it up a little bit so that it better suited my taste.

• 2 weeks later...

I borrowed an existing block style and wildstyle. As I get better and learn more (also a toy that has done a lot of research) I can add flourishes and my own personal influences to make it a unique style. As with any art (I've been pencil drawing all my life) you have to go to fundamentals and learn the basics before you can really step out in your own right.

yes and no

if youre living in a big city there will be alot of people

alot of drunk people

you will be noticed more easily but it will be drunk people who dont give a fuck

or it will be horny bitches and you can tag and their titties

What are the rules when you're traveling far away? Aside from practical stuff like where to get tips and stuff in the new city, what is the etiquette? Given the opportunity I'd like to leave something behind, but I don't want to piss off locals or look stupid or whatever.

Basic Rules man when your away.

If your style level is low then leave any decent work alone (+2 colours) as you wont do anything better. As for damage, if your getting up just use your head there are plenty of blank spots in a city don’t crowd on others work/ hit right up next to them/on them.. no point.

My only humble advice from seeing way to many start then finish would be this: Get some ability before you bomb. I myself spent years getting up with the worst tags/styles and all you do is waste your time, get caught then have to change. If you times that by 4 or 5 times then you have gone all city for no reason and you will look back in 5 years and think “fuck what a waste of time!” – in a way.. you will only regret not bringing something better to the scene.

Some of the best international writers care more about execution then amount. Nuff heads pump their marker before every tag and don’t hurry. Remember your tag/panel is you in the spotlight, you wouldn’t go on stage wearing a fuckin chicken costume so maybe wait until you think “yeah this represents me”..

all noobs should start with stickers in my opinion. and as for the typography advice that shits for faggots and deserves no pride. true graff artists absorb style from their surroundings not from a fucking library. TOYYYYYYYYYYS

:lol: nicely put... if you toy dont do stickers tho :lol:

Basic Rules man when your away.

If your style level is low then leave any decent work alone (+2 colours) as you wont do anything better. As for damage, if your getting up just use your head there are plenty of blank spots in a city don’t crowd on others work/ hit right up next to them/on them.. no point.

My only humble advice from seeing way to many start then finish would be this: Get some ability before you bomb. I myself spent years getting up with the worst tags/styles and all you do is waste your time, get caught then have to change. If you times that by 4 or 5 times then you have gone all city for no reason and you will look back in 5 years and think “fuck what a waste of time!” – in a way.. you will only regret not bringing something better to the scene.

Some of the best international writers care more about execution then amount. Nuff heads pump their marker before every tag and don’t hurry. Remember your tag/panel is you in the spotlight, you wouldn’t go on stage wearing a fuckin chicken costume so maybe wait until you think “yeah this represents me”..

Thanks for the advice. I've been practicing on legal walls, plywood, whatever I can get my hands on. I've only bombed once and it was a while ago and I see now why it was a mistake. I wasn't ready to go up and within a week I could look back and see that. All I could think of was "fuck, why did I ruin my name like that?" so it's been just practice practice practice. I have some sketches and stuff I'd like to perfect and put up one day, but no more bombing just for the sake of bombing.

I started with stickers too. It just made more sense to me as a beginner. I could spend more time getting the sticker just right and then have it up in seconds. I knew all along I wanted to learn cans though, stickers were like mother's milk.

Decide early on wether you like Graffiti itself or the game. Two totally different mind sets, the trick is to combine them. In honesty, if you live in a tiny town where you are gonna get heated out, more likely your going to work on letters and style forms to pass your time.

Age is a huge thing. No matter what anyone says your experience of writing from your parents house and then your own flat will change you. So right now I think you need to decide wether its the feeling of your heart beating as you cop a tag, knowing your going to get in the shit but not giving a fuck, or the colours and shapes that come from refined practice that turn you on. For years I HATED graffiti itself man, fuck learning letters and being fancy I want to FUCK SHIT UP, WHOS THE KING! But after a while when your name gets gripped and your tags buffed, no one is chatting about you really. So dont be a legal whore and rely on your HOF flicks to big your year up. BALANCE. Graff is an illigal activity, all should feel a slight amount of guilt for permission walls. Take that the right way all.

I think I'd rather lay down one good burner in my whole life than put up thousands of pieces of crap. Age is really important cause you bring what you've got. I didn't pick up a can till I was an old man, but I've been drawing ever since I can remember. Maybe I don't have the passion that younger guys have, but here is some old-dude wisdom: I don't need to be the best in town, I just need to do my best.

You have your answer really, no book will teach you why an arrow goes where etc but I think vitally look at calligraphic letters and understand the elements of each. Most wildstyle letters conform with standard sectioning, but the perspective or angle is skewed. Arrows added "bits, do dads.." (Excuse the Style Wars quote) the rest doesnt really have to make any sense. As long as their is a letter base and you work off it.

Peace man dont mean to preach I hate my own text...

Shit. I bombed again. I don't even know what it looked like. I was pissed off at the world and I just wanted to go out and do damage. It sucks - when I am calm and grooving on the art I can do really cool things, but I have this habit of lashing out with shit everywhere when I am pissed off. Any suggestions?

You have to decide if you are in for the art or for the rush. If bombing really makes you feel better and you crave that adrenaline, then you should acknowledge that what you do is vandalism and it's not meant to be pretty (of course, you can make it "beautiful" to fellow writers' eyes).

But if you're into the artistic aspect of graff and you're uncomfortable with bombing and vandalism, then you should practice pieces and try to dismiss desire to go out to bomb. That's really up to you.

Personally, since i love bombing i tend to value quantity over quality, and i don't care if my shit doesn't look that good if i have hundreds of throws running in the city.

Basically, you have to do what gives you pleasure and, since there are no rules for graff, you can do the fuck you want. If it doesn't make you feel good, you're doing it wrong.

• 3 months later...

Kinda got OP's problem...except I know their is other writers...quisp and scribe would probably be the most popular found this site and I noticed it mentioned them and to add to his questions what if no one I know does graffiti? how the hell am I supposed to do all this shit alone? and yes im a toy but im getting skill the more I draw

• 1 month later...