A Toys' Questions

spindext

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I don't know because if you live somewhere where there aint no writers and not a big city... you aint gonna get up and people just practice that's how they enhance their pieces and styles. and some people have mentors but most people learned on their own... its hard to find mentors but just look online and practice your letters. the good thing is that you probably live in a place where there aint that much people and there's a lot of chill spots where you can practice

• 2 months later...
LOOK at shitloads and shitloads of pics of graffiti, to get where i am with throws i looked at nearly 400 pages of throws, and for hands im now looking at all the tags and handstyle threads, while looking at alot of throws still

just look at alot of different styles to seen whats been done before so you can try to push the standard

and DRAW

jeesh, I walked tracks as a kid to check out throws and styles.

• 4 months later...
I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this stuff.. but I'll put them here anyway.

How do people come up with different styles and stuff like that? how do they know where to put the loops, arrows, connecting letters, and other stuff? Do people get high before they do graffiti? Like maybe imagine up some styles?

Do most writers have teacher or a mentor?

Or can you just do it by yourself?

Say you live in a small town, no graffiti anywhere, except for an occasional scribble or some guy's name. There would be no past writers there. How would you learn how to paint? Would you even take up graffiti?

If you just started writing in a black book, would you paint out the first thing you came up with on some walls? Or would you stick to practice for like a year and then actually start writing on stuff?

This is so lame.. but I have so many questions..:scrambled:

practice, you get better as you go. yea you can get high, it helps with the inspiration, but its not necessary... i know sum beast writers that dont spark up at all due to various reasons but can still snap on a wall

different ppl do different shit. i had someone show me the ropes when i started, sometimes it helps sometimes it doesnt. and i guess, if i were you, i'd look at shit in the biggest city by you, check out whats goin on over there, some big names, etc. look at the photo threads. and always, always, always practice until you think you're good enough to go out on the streets. sketching is the most important thing, it'll lay your foundation, if you're in it for the artistic aspect. if you want fame, get up, and get up hard.

Is graffiti for everyone?

I mean is it for the poor and the rich?

The nerdy kid and kid who flunks every class?

That kind of stuff.. is it for everyone?

For sure, no matetr who you are, if graff calls to you, then it does.

Think of the variety of writers. The hiphop kids from the ghetto growin up, hardcore fuck-the-system punks, serious and devoted artists. Graffiti is for anyone who wished to do it.

I'm lower middle class, a goth, quite nerdy, white, and truthfully? So feminine (irl) I'm probably the gayest straight man alive. Lmfao.

And I'm damn well proud to be a writer.

No matter who you are, if you wanna get up and you do, then graff is for you.

• 2 weeks later...
For sure, no matetr who you are, if graff calls to you, then it does.

Think of the variety of writers. The hiphop kids from the ghetto growin up, hardcore fuck-the-system punks, serious and devoted artists. Graffiti is for anyone who wished to do it.

True.

I didn't get into graff until I was 35 years old. I'm a writer-writer (novels) and researched Banksy and others for a character who gets into spraying walls. Graff is the first and only truly global art form, it appears everywhere, even in authoritarian China. It's the language of the underground. There's no money involved (in most graff) to wreck the spirit. It might be the only "true" art form out there.

I liked that.

After practicing some for research, I went out and bombed a few places. It's been a couple years since the novel was done but I'm still going out at night dropping images. Can't stop. Love it too much.

• 6 months later...

practice practice prctice this shit takes time a mentor helps but is not nessicary hit some legl wals to practice your idias experiment with names so u can find somthing that flows well with how u write nd over time ull get better just get out thair n do it fuck around have fun but show respect to artists that are better than you

-SHOCKER RKN

a toy is someone who purposely destroys someones graffiti, they line people out, they go over real writers and they dont know the rules or the know-how of graffiti. in reality, you might not be a toy at all, you would be known as a new jack. a new jack is obviously someone who is new to the game, respects other writers, and does their homework. I think these days the term toy had been taken out of context.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Toy question here... So I've been "trying" to write, for about a week and I'm starting at the basics, so taggin down before I do any throw ups, pieces, etc. I'm pretty sure that's how it should be done... But I guess my question is how do you know what to write? I've filled up 2 sketchbooks after hours of lookin at graffiti over the last week, readin tips forums and such... Studying like a mofo, and well when I'm writing In my blackbook I just write different words each time, and yeah some words flow and to me most don't haha, but once in a great while they just go together great, so I guess I'm really askin should I just stick to the words that flow or should I try different shit all the time? I'm just not seein much improvement, and I wish I could show pictures but I'm limited to an itouch right now cause I ain't got no comp atm

Im new to graff in a small town in the bush with noone her writing in at least 10 years. Closest thing Ive had in graff all my life was some old parked wheat trains. I ended filling all my school books with letters, words, anime and whatever. I started a new blackbook every time I needed since I finished but I still havent thrown a tag, gone bombing or even done a piece. Im still working on a piece but nothings ever good enough. How do you know when something is good enough for the world?

you don't your early stuff will always be a horrible embarrassment to yourself and you will invariably change your name to something else to distance yourself from your earlier garbage, especially if no one else writes then every fucker will know it is you because it will be all over your books so I would start by changing my name