12OZ CRIBS - ABC/RENTAL/SUPERBOJANGLES FUNKOCITY EDITION

Abracadabra

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
I need to do some yard work once it cools off.... and Da Bears have a bye week.

AZ had a cold snap last winter which killed off 1/3 of my yard, I was hoping the spring and summer would bring them back, but only a few plants regrew.

I saw your pictures from a few pages back. I'm jealous man, both of your house and location. I lived in Arizona for a year prior to moving to Wyoming, and I loved it there. I was in Tucson, and even in the summer it wasn't too bad, at least in my opinion. I grew up in IL, so after living there it seemed like paradise with all the palms and exotic plants, not to mention the mountains. Traffic was a bitch however, at least in Tucson.

What plants died on you?

Some of my potted palms...hope I'm not getting too far off topic.

Trachycarpus wagneranus

tpalm3.jpg

T. wag #2

tpalm4.jpg

This was sold to me as a Trachycarpus takil, but I'm not so sure that's what it is anymore.

a464.jpg

T. takil #2

a466.jpg

Creeping trunk...

a467.jpg

My prized Trachycarpus princeps..

tpalm1.jpg

tpalm2.jpg

I have many more palms, too many actually, considering that I have to bring them indoors each winter, but I love them all. :D

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

those Trachycarpus princeps. look mightly healthy, they all do.

why so many Trachycarpus? they all look the same (beautiful don't get me wrong). I though they were windmill palm (Trachycarpus fortunei ) when i first saw them.

You havent planted any of these? btw they are cold hardy palms. they can take a good freeze and spring right back up.

i got a the following palms.

Phoenix sylvestris 12 (all in the ground, 1 in a 17in container)

Phoenix roebelenii 4 (2 in the ground, 2 in 25gal containers)

Cycas Revoluta (sago palm) but not really a palm lol

T. wag #2

tpalm4.jpg

I just tore one of these fuckers out of the ground Sunday.

It was planted in a soft dirt mound next to my pool, had it for 3.5 years & it never really took.

I figured it would be an easy dig, but the roots on this bitch were fierce. I chopped and tugged at it for an hour with a dangerously elevated heart rate, damn near had a heart attack.

tumblr_lz376laNSq1qaygy7o1_500.jpg

I'm having a party this weekend, so the house will be clean Saturday Morning, will take pics.

• 2 months later...

BIGGER -> http://i.cubeupload.com/FnnZtx.jpg

3 months later

this wall has:

12 papayas trees

10 Bananas plants (ps they are not trees, they're herb)

6 establish green sugarcane matts. (about 4-6 stalks per matt)

1 Guava from HD with the UPC hookup

1 Coconut tree

1 Meyer lemon

1 avocado from seed (will transplant)

2 mamey from seed (will transplant)

4 tomato bushes more behind them

bunch of bell peppers just sporting

zsGHM.jpg

BEFORE

Qv7edwB.jpg

more to follow, still got the other-side

^ grapes? just got back from wine country in central cali. pretty interesting stuff talking with the workers while tasting. i had a question that no one really answered though, maybe you have an idea. so they have different types of grapes for different wines, and these grapes are sectioned off next to each other through out the vineyard pretty close to each other. how do they keep the grapes from breeding and making a hybrid?

I believe it depends on the fruit/flower etc

tomatoes will show cross pollination in fruit immediately but apples for example have to be grafted to sapling trees in order to produce the sweet fruit we are used to.

90% of 200+ apple species are considered inedible. their seeds will not mimic the traits of their parents.

not sure if the cut off is by the different plant family or not. I'd imagine there would be exceptions in all species.

for grapes I'm guessing its closer to apples because when France had their weird diseases that killed all their grape stock they had to go to california to retrieve the genetics.

so seeds would have probably been out of the question

I take possession of my first home in Feb...I have a shit ton of work to do to it...70 page report of what the fuck is wrong with it and what I need to fix. . . Thinking of making a thread about fixing stuff/houses...similar to one of Cilones threads.

Big ass Fir tree out front is on the chopping block, I have cut down trees this big before, however not in the city where it is illegal potentially.

absolutely... I purchased the "cheapest" home in the nicest area that I could afford. It needs lots of things to bring it to a point that I want it. There are some pertinent issues like the R value in the attic, also the hot water tank needs replacing, however it's what I wanted. A lot of the issues are minor for me to fix and repair, the home just hasn't been cared for recently.

Home prices in my area are absolutely ridiculous, I waited for 4 years expecting a drop and the best I got was a slight plateau.

Here is some reference: http://thethirtiesgrind.com/category/are-you-fing-kidding-me/

The basement is half completed, and the upstairs is about 80% of where I want it. Im going to try and put a small shop into it as well.

Thats what my new year is looking like so far...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...