Banksy Sells for £288,000 ($576,871)

SPORTO

1712.jpgA painting by cult “guerrilla artist” Banksy has sold for £288,000 at auction – a new record for the artist.

Space Girl and Bird, which sold for 20 times its estimate, was commissioned by Blur for their Think Tank album cover.

It was sold to a telephone bidder from the US. Earlier, a Banksy self-portrait showing an ape’s face fetched £198,000 – five times its estimated value, the BBC reported.

The previous record for one of Banksy’s works was £102,000, paid for a picture of pensioners bowling with bombs.

“Today’s auction demonstrates just how much art by Banksy has skyrocketed in value. Clearly he is an artist in huge demand,” Charles Dupplin, an art expert from insurance company Hiscox said.

There was a thread on this guy a few months back, with people discussing

the merets of his work.

I've seen his stuff in london in the early 90's, and thought 'cool' anytype of street art

is good with me, he has done various 'stunts' over the last decade to promote himself,

but ART wise, I don't see anything special, now days being the cynical bastard that I am

I'm looking back at some of his older stuff and thinking, Wow! A stencil of a 4 year old girl

with a gas mask on, how arch. A stencil of of a rioter throwing a bunch of flowers, clever,

but so what.

Again his paintings on the israeli wall were just tedious. Now we have fuckers like

Angelina Jolie buying his stuff, which says it all.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not jeleous, nor do I begrudge the man his success.

If anything I'm pissed at myself for not having the forsight to see people

paying crazy money for this type of art.

I think even Banksy himself knows this and is laughing all the way to the Bank!

More power to the fucker.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Does anyone think that Twist is anything special in product alone? I'm no art expert, but novelty and myth is what sells graffiti (and probably all) art these days. He made a name for himself, did some clever work, did some shit you wouldn't, and now he's a paid informant. Lets not pretend what we think of him mattters...

Yo CatsForFace, did i ever tell you the time I met Banksy at Flash-Taco?

I was walking by and Dude was like "I totally love your figure, (bites his staek burritto) I would like really enjoy making setencils of you in provacitive posses"

and I was all like "Stencils? like that bansky jag?"

he replied whispering with a smile "dude I'm totally Bansky, can I write my name in sour cream on your chest?

I was all "No! Homo" and slapped the doodz food outta his hand.

as I walked away he screamed "man you just push me harder man."

overrated

sure he does interesting work

so what

who cant put a monkey face on a dude in a suit and call it art

500,000? are u joking?

idiots will buy anything, which i guess only strengethens Banksy's whole fuck the system approach to his art

"He is selling rich women their own fat asses back to them"