coming up in the world

beantownbeatz

Its sad, these days kids are out to do graffiti to look cool in school or do it to fuck shit up. These kids blowing dollar after dollar for high end paints with low end skill. A lot of kids coming up are not resourceful and lack any drive. Kids crushing there own town to tell there friends ruining it for that kid that one kid who plays it by the rules, cause even though in this illegal lifestyle theres rules and these days kids dont care, they dont take shit into consideration they just wanna write on everything and oh how wonderful it would be to write on everything..trust me. Im a toy, im schooled by people who were taught by old school cats so i roll with respect.

plain and simple these marc ecko "gettin up" kids with there high end paint and disrespectful attitudes make this part of my life i want to keep hard. I dont give a fuck if people rag on me for this cause im just fed up with all this "ive been writing for 2 weeks and im calling everyone a toy" shit...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I respect your post man, I know exactly where you're coming from. These tools you speak of are the ones who have no intent of doing it for the art, the true beauty behind modern graffiti. All the garbage they put up across town brings a bad name to those who have a passion for this art form. I too am sick of it, but it's part of life, and for a long time, if not ever, will it be.

i am probably more toy than anyone out here... but still i know where you're coming from. i refuse to touch a can until i can get structure and shit on paper, study it, learn it, love it. after a while i'll fuck around in my yard on plywood or something, but never touch the streets until i'm good enough to rock this shit.

it sucks when you see an old piece covered over by toy shit. you can't even appreciate the beauty of the real writers because the damn stupid noobs don't understand that just cuz it's faded, doesn't mean it aint worth anything.

beantownbeatz --i hear you man. it's not just "getting up" that is putting the wrong image in young kids' heads. young kids are walking identity crisises, and graffiti is just another image to pull on like a sweater for the season. you can blame henry chauffant (not that i am) for the same shit. for instance, it's 2007, some 14 year old kid who lives in buttfuck, suburbantown, new jersey gets a copy of style wars. he has no clue on the actual importance of this film, and what it did for early graff culture across the states. he doesn't know that PBS aired it, and brought the new york subways to chicago, boston, san fran, etc. so this kid sees it for the first time, and the only image he gets from that movie is CAP's bomber mentality. so now that kid goes online and finds out about this movie "bomb the system." so he goes out, rents that movie, and watches that. the movie tells him "if you don't rack, than you're a toy" and all sorts of other misconceived ideas that don't relate to this kids apple pie suburban lifestyle. so the kid ends up buying "bomb the system" and gets his mom to take him to the mall so he can get a mark ecko shirt, sweatshirt, and a tribal hat. now he's looking the part. so he's got the uniform, he's got two cans of paint from his dad's workshop, and he's got the bomber mentality. so he starts painting. only problem is, the little shit never took the time to understand his letters, style, or can control. he thinks just the fact that he's out painting makes him somebody important.

on one hand, hey at least he's out bombing. on the other hand, he's putting ugly shit all over town, bringing more heat on other writers. his 39 shitty walls are all residentials, so now any kid caught painting is interrogated like they burglarized the joint and raped a baby. at the same time as the kid is doing residentials, he's also going down and writing on anything he can at his local legal wall. going over kids with year's of skill and talent, just because to him --it's "getting up."

i'm not a writer by any means, i focus more on stickers and wheatpastes. i've been following graff for over ten years, and never picked up a can until a year ago because i never had the confidence in my work. i kept at it on paper for all these years, and i still think i'm pretty shitty when it comes down to it. i've met plenty of writers over the years, who were both positive and negative influences. both of those influences showed me so much more than any website, magazine, or video. so i don't feel i have any ground to tell someone what to do, but i will voice my opinion. young bucks need to be schooled on what is respect, control, timing, and politics. they also need to be shown that graffiti isn't about how you dress, how you talk or walk, or who you shit on. it's just about expressing your shit through an illegal (or legal) process that gets seen by the public eye. people will hate it, but it's not for them. it's about having fun with what you do, and sometimes getting an adrenaline rush through the form of escape.

this shit is probably too long already, but i do need to tell a quick story. my local legal wall is right on a train yard. i try to go down every sunday (my only day off) to flick trains. one day i'm down there an i noticed there was this kid painting. he had busted out a wood pallet to stand on, and climbed up to paint in a clear spot above everyone's piece. his younger brother, mother, and father were standing with him watching on. i thought it was funny at first, but at least the kid had the respect to go above and not over. as for his parents being there? i don't know what to think of that. i think it's cool that they are supporting him with his shit, but i don't want the legal wall parking lot to be full of mini-vans with soccer ball stickers and tazmanian devil sun blockers.

i guess the only way to break it all down is this, some kids will work this like a fad, some kids will stick around for a while. let's hope all the media clones learn quick that graff isn't for them, and they end up getting wrapped up in a john mayer cd or something. if not, it's only going to get worse, and eventually, every town is going to make graff a felony.

sorry this shit is so fucking long. i'm bored as all fucking hell at work today.