Top terror "alQaeda" suspect held at Gitmo, Abu Zubaydah, denies binLaden association

Theo Huxtable.

Top terror suspect denies association with bin Laden

Published: Monday April 16, 2007

Top terror suspect Abu Zubaydah told a US military tribunal he was tortured while in CIA custody, and now suffers seizures that affect his ability to speak and write, according to a transcript released Monday.

In a lengthy hearing before the tribunal at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba on March 27, Zubaydah denied associating with Al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden, despite having told interrogators that he had.

"Mr President and members of the tribunal, I would have liked to have spoken to you today on my own, but I have been having seizures lately, which have temporarily affected my ability to speak and write without difficulty," he said in a written statement that was read by a military officer assigned to represent him.

Besides the seizures, Zubaydah told the tribunal he had problems with his left thigh and foot, according to a transcript released Monday.

"Uh, I don't like to admit I'm a sick person," he said. "I try to be a good Muslim person but the truth is almost half of my body is not good."

The Pentagon released a censored transcript of the proceeding, and references to what appeared to be details of his treatment at secret CIA detention facilities overseas were deleted.

But in a question-and-answer session, the tribunal's presiding officer noted that Zubaydah "mentioned months of torture" in his written statement.

Zubaydah, who was wounded in a March 28, 2003 raid that ended in his capture, said most of the information related to what he was accused of having done had been extracted from him when he was half dead, "plus what they do torture me (sic)."

He said he had falsely told interrogators he was a partner of bin Laden and of Ahmed Ressam, an Algerian captured entering the United States in December 1999 planing to bomb Millennium 2000 celebrations in the United States.

"So they write but they want what's after, more information about more operations, so I can't (sic)," he said. "They keep torturing me."

Zubaydah said his greatest torment was the confiscation of a diary that he had kept, likening it to the loss of a child.

"For me, it is bigger than what CIA for me," he said. "What they do on my body I will forget it, plus now taking the paper, my paper."

Abu Zubaydah acknowledged facilitating the training of jihadists in Afghanistan to fight invaders of Muslim lands, but said his group only came under bin Laden's control in 2000 under pressure from the Taliban.

"Our doctrine has always been to go after enemy targets, and by that I mean military targets, which include the military members or civilians who work for or directly support the military," Zubaydah said in a written statement.

"I disagreed with the Al-Qaeda philosophy of targeting innocent civilians like those in the World Trade Center," he said.

Zubaydah is a Saudi-born Palestinian whose real name is Zayn Al Abidin Muhammad Husayn. The main evidence presented against him came from Ressam, the captured bomber.

Ressam said Zubayhdah knew about the millennium operation, although not specifically the date or the exact target of the bombing, the government alleged.

The government also alleged that entries in Zybaydah's diary described plans to burn cities and farms in the United States, instigate race wars, attack gas stations and fuel trucks, and start timed fires.

Ressam allegedly told US investigators that in 1998 Zubaydah asked the Algerian to obtain five Canadian passports for a team of five other individuals to enter the United States to bomb several cities.

Zubaydah admitted to sending Ressam for training at the Khalden and Deronta camps in Afghanistan, but disputed other charges and instead portrayed his group as at odds ideologically with Al-Qaeda and competing with them for recruits.

"The statement that I was an associate of Osama bin Laden is false. I only met him in the year 2000. I'm not his partner and I'm not a member of Al-Qaeda," Zubaydah said.

"Bin Laden wanted Al-Qaeda to have control of Khalden, but we refused since we had different ideas," he said.

Zubaydah said his group's aim was to train Muslims for "defensive jihad" in places like Bosnia and Chechnya that had been invaded by non Muslims.

"Our doctrine was not the same as what Osama bin Laden and Al-Qaeda were promoting, which was and is a doctrine of offensive jihad," he said.

Zubaydah said he distinguished fundamentalist Muslims from fanatics.

"I was always very selective about not working with the fanatical Muslims that wanted training, such as the Algerians of the Armed Jamaat Islamia," he said. "In fact, the Armed Jamaat Islamia threatened my life because I refused to work with them."

In 2000 the Taliban closed the two training camps after bin Laden pressed to have all recruits come through his camps, he said.

Zubaydah said he visited bin Laden to ask for help in keeping the camps open, but was rebuffed.

After the September 11, 2001 attacks on the United States, Zubaydah said some big jihadist groups were angry that they had been given no warning. But they decided to close ranks with Al-Qaeda in anticipation of a counter-attack, he said.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Re: Top terror "alQaeda" suspect held at Gitmo, Abu Zubaydah, denies binLaden associa

well, when I was in egypt. people showed me the huge menacing walls that enclosed what people called "the american torture chambers" Where suspects were sent for torture without fear of humans rights activists.

Re: Top terror "alQaeda" suspect held at Gitmo, Abu Zubaydah, denies binLaden associa

I have no doubt that "suspected terrorists" are being tortured or at least treated very poorly at Guantanamo Bay. The reason the camp is in Cuba is to circumvent international law.

The whole situation is bullshit. Give them a trial, find them guilty/innocent and punish them according to the law. As it is now, the U.S. can just round up whomever they feel like, and detain them indefinitely without a trial or even being told why they have been detained.

This is like the Japanese internment camps during WWII, only worse.

And people wonder why the rest of the world hates the U.S.?

so, what kind of reply should I make to this?

For myself, I was thinking something along the lines of comparing it to militias in the states, who train and prepare independent of the military for whatever reason. If what he says is true, then they were simply preparing for whatever attack might be imminent and if this was based out of Afghanistan, then I can't blame them considering what the US and the Russians did to that place during the Cold War. If what he says is true about only going after the military in an attack, I think it is absurd to be punished for training if there was no terrorist ideology promoted.

But if he is lying now about his connections to Al Queda, then fuck him. But torture obviously means shit for truth because now who fucking knows? How can you trust testimony that was induced from physically debilitating torture?

I don't think Abu Zubaydah is lying -- it makes sense about bin Laden and the Taliban basically bullying him into giving his camps and recruits over to al Qaeda.

I guess the reason I posted this, was because the US Government constantly kept naming him the "highest ranking" Al Qaeda person ever caught, and it appears not to be true. It's always sketchy when saying who's "al qaeda" and who isn't. There was probably just a loose connection in the fact that his camps were also in Afghanistan, he knew the LAX-plot bomber, he met bin Laden once, and many of his recruits were pulled from him by bin Laden. He said his and bin Ladens ideals clashed -- and I don't think a hardline, devout Muslim that would swear oath to bin Laden would lie about that.

I always thought KSM was a higher-value capture anyways.

I don't believe there's any difference between 'offensive' and 'defensive' jihad.

I'm also flabbergasted at what I've seen over the last 20 years from America as to the treatment of enemy combatants/prisoners as well as civilian populations... utter disregard. And all this so shortly after the mistreatment of American POWs in Vietnam and the Japanese camps in WW2. For some reason that I can't even fathom, the power structure in America is willfully blind to the idea that the way you treat foreign POWs is the way foreigners will treat US POWs.

We obviously aren't detaining EVERY combatant we capture in Afghanistan or Iraq. When I say 'detaining' I mean at Gitmo. While it may not actually be valid, I tend to equate 'our' capture/interrogation of these 'special targets' with the kidnapping/killing of journalists.

It's all fine to believe what you believe but if you write it down or say it out loud, now more than ever, it can get you killed or worse. Dedication to the truth increases this risk.

yep, i agree.

mujahadeen fighting soviet invaders in afghanistan and american/coalition invaders in iraq = defensive

9/11, uss cole, embassy bombings = offensive

of course, if you were to ask bin laden, 9/11 and his other horrendous attacks were forms of "self-defense" against the overall US incursions into the middle east and their foreign policy, support for israel, and support of dictatorial, "un-islamic" arab regimes.

and if you ask bush, the iraq invasion was a form of self-defense. all sides generally claim that their forms of agression are in "defense."