Need a couple book recommendations

Issac Brock

I know there was a book recommendation thread at one point, but the search is failing me. This thread doesn't need to last long though.

I am trying to read more, because I really don't ever do it. I read newspaper articles that interest me from time to time, but really reading has never been a big part of my life. In fact, its something that I have generally disliked being forced to do (high school) but I have always felt guilty about not doing it.

I would like to start reading at least some, so do any of you have any recommendations of some really interesting books? I'm not really interesting in fiction at all--more interested in graffiti. I'm not looking for another book of pictures of graffiti though, that's later. Any book about current graffiti, history of graffiti, just something that you found interesting.

The other question I have is, who here got Also Known As? I know thats not really a 'reading' book, but I really want it, just having trouble getting myself to drop the 40 bucks or whatever. Anybody have it and have something to say about it though other than the people that made it? What did you like about it? Convince me to buy it. Thanks for the help in advance, 12oz.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

graffiti books are dumb. they only help you to converse with other writers, which generally will only annoy you.

read steinbeck, or dostoevsky, or vonegut, camus, or any of the other 'classic' modern authors. they're much more interesting.

if you absolutely need a graffiti book, get the dondi book.

i have "also known as" but it is a picture book - so i looked at it a few times and never again really. its well done though.

reading - i don't read a lot - but here are a few good ones.

i'm sure you saw the movie catch me if you can - but the book is way better that the movie. written by frank abagnale.

if yuor interested in crooked prick cops in chicago read double deal michael corbitt with sam giancana

Don't read any classic graffiti bullshit. Boring. Read Matthew Reilly instead. He often includes stuff like space shuttles, Komodo dragons, hovercrafts, machine guns, giant pumas, Harrier jets and Lamborghinis in his books. Sometimes many of them simultaneously.

ummm, yeah, isn't that what i just said?

On AKA

AKA: Has the best design and layouts to ever meet a graffiti publication (Cody killed it).

There are small insights into highly regarded writers (which was ok).

No Permission walls from what I rember (major plus).

Overall AKA is worth it. It is currently the most professtional documentation NY destruction.

I personally hope rather then the team trying to top it, they use the format to cover other cities.

The posters and collateral matterails looked nice but weren't necessary.

Maybe next time 5 pairs of black high-grade rubber gloves.

komodos dragons flying spaceships full of harrier jets while being chased by packs of pumas in lamborginis and hovercrafts fitted with machine guns!?

Sounds like my kinda book!

GIANT pumas.

Alright mams...now you're taking it a little too far...How do GIANT pumas fit into lamborginis? Thats a small car...

I mean now its just getting unbelievable. You just lost my vote...

Books about graffiti, and many books of fiction, are little more than junk food for your brain, in the sense that the sweet candy-coating distracts you from the fact that what you're taking sorely lacks any redeeming nutritional value.

That's to say: Junk food might taste alright, and it might even hold your appetite at bay, but you're going to be a haggard motherfucker if that's all you take in for an extended period of time.

Seeking made some great suggestions. Camus and Dostoevskey are timeless with theirs, but that's like going from training wheels to superbikes if you're not a regular reader.

I'd recommend some Huxley. He's a good jump-off point, and does an awesome job disguising his philosophies/ponderances as fiction.

Don't read any classic literature bullshit. Boring. Read Matthew Reilly instead. He often includes stuff like space shuttles, Komodo dragons, hovercrafts, machine guns, giant pumas, Harrier jets and Lamborghinis in his books. Sometimes many of them simultaneously.

Yeah I read a book by this guy a while ago I think it was called the Ice Station or something to do with ice it was a pretty decent read.

Yeah I read a book by this guy a while ago I think it was called the Ice Station or something to do with ice it was a pretty decent read.

Yeah, that's his most famous one. Where the main guy blows up a nuclear submarine with his grappling hook, fights mutant elephant seals, and flies a secret plane out of a tumbling iceberg.

The next one with the same hero is Area 7, which is even crazier. But nothing compares to the insanity brought forth on the third book, Scarecrow, named after the hero. It's insane, I'm thinking about reading it again cause it was so nuts.

graffiti books are dumb. they only help you to converse with other writers, which generally will only annoy you.

read steinbeck, or dostoevsky, or vonegut, camus, or any of the other 'classic' modern authors. they're much more interesting.

if you absolutely need a graffiti book, get the dondi book.

I like the dondi book, but it is pretty much a picture book. I don't want graffiti books to meet other writers, I just am pretty sure if I'm not accustomed to reading, it will help to keep my interest since its something I think about anyway. I will check out these recommendations though...I already have access to a bunch of the classic literature you guys are all talking about.