~THE DOCUMENTARY SUPERTHREAD~

shitting

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 2 weeks later...

I watched that HBO documentary "Every F__king Day of My Life" tonight. Definitely worth watching.

unknown.jpeg

Every F---ing Day of My Life

Produced by Quinto Malo Films. Executive producer, Sheila Nevins; producer, Jaime Davila;

Originally produced two years ago as "One Minute to Nine," this documentary finally arrives at HBO with a somewhat more in-your-face title -- and, in a stark, spare way that has come to characterize the pay channel, delivers a pretty bracing wallop. A harrowing portrait of domestic abuse, the project draws heavily on video shot by the dead abuser, as his wife, Wendy Maldonado, spends her final days of freedom before going to jail for his murder. The net result is every bit as chilling and depressing as one might expect.

In 2005, Maldonado dialed 911 in tears, confessing that she'd killed her husband with a hammer (still photos dutifully show the blood-stained mattress). When asked whether he had abused her, she responded, "Every fucking day of my life."

Filmmaker Tommy Davis then proceeds to detail how the Oregon woman suffered at the hands of her spouse, Aaron, who had a penchant for videotaping his wife and four sons -- along with his more childish and vulgar pursuits, like playing with a deer carcass. In those clips we see the fear he inadvertently captured in their little flinches and darting eyes.

In between, Maldonado prepares to be incarcerated, while the family and neighbors discuss what they witnessed, and how it was allowed to continue, without intervention. The doc concludes in court, as the judge addresses the tragedy of the situation by saying, "Nobody has won. Nobody is getting away with anything."

Nobody will come away from the movie filled with holiday cheer, either, but it's a sobering look at the consequences of bad choices -- from Maldonado in her teens marrying a guy who turned out to be a psychopath, to enduring having her teeth knocked out because she didn't perceive herself as having other options.

Based on the evidence presented here, the so-called victim in the criminal proceedings certainly appears to have gotten what he deserved. Whether Wendy did is a question that will likely haunt viewers as long as those grainy images in Aaron's homevideos.

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117941776.html?categoryid=32&cs=1

Africa's Witch Children

part 1 of 5

A year ago, Dispatches told the story of how children in Africa's Niger Delta were being denounced by Christian pastors as witches and wizards, and then killed, tortured or abandoned by their own families. Following the introduction of the Child Rights legislation and an increase in financial support for a British charity providing a refuge for affected youngsters, the program returns to find out what happened to some of the people featured in the first film.

Link?

Nah sorry man. I used xtorrent for mac. Took fucking months from one seed, so delighted to get it.

I have lots of great docs. Just no way to share.

Suppose if anyone's really interested could find a way to send a cd or something.

What's this drop box thing and can it be used over distance, or d'ya have to be on the same network?

• 2 weeks later...