POWER SHARING AGREEMENT IN NORTHERN IRELAND

fat ralphy

THE SINN FEIN AND THE DEMOCRATIC UNIONIST PARTY (DUP) HAVE REACHED AN AGREEMENT WHICH WILL ALLOW POWER SHARING IN THE NORTH OF IRELAND. THIS AGREEMENT COMES AFTER CENTURIES OF WARFARE AND DECADES OF POLITICAL ACTIVISM ON BEHALF OF THE IRISH PEOPLE. THE DUP WOULD NOT AGREE TO THE POWER SHARING AGREEMENT UNTIL THE IRA AND OTHER REPUBLICAN GROUPS OFFICIALLY DISMANTLE, YET THERE ARE STILL MANY ACTIVE LOYALIST AND UNIONIST GROUPS STILL INVOLVED IN TERRORIST TYPE VIOLENCE. THERE ARE ALSO DISSIDENT IRA FACTIONS STILL PLOTTING TO OVERTHROW THE ENGLISH OCCUPIERS. IS IT PLAUSIBLE THE TWO ORGANIZATIONS CAN RULE TOGETHER? WHAT ARE YOUR FEELINGS ABOUT THE OCCUPATION OF NORTHERN IRELAND?

485678862a527948504b110423946l.jpg

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/article2393950.ece

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

the majority of people in northern ireland consider themselves british. giving it back to the irish would cause more problems.

a united ireland will never exist in my lifetime. power sharing is a great step forward, but the reality is too many people profit from northern ireland being unstable for it to work in the long term.

yes but in reality those english people were all transplanted by the english.....they were put there to act as a buffer to help prevent any uprising from catholic ireland or spain on the close coast of britain^^^^^^^^^i agree that power sharing is a good step but it does not seem like it will work out in the long run...i am thinking that a united ireland will come sooner then you think...through politics or violence who knows

• 2 weeks later...
one country united is goal nearly realized.

no, it's not.

not trying to start a pointless argument, but the protestant british majority won't vote for anything that lessens british power in the area.

also for the uk government there's a major issue with how they deal with terrorism, actively participating in a re-unification of ireland is essentially saying terrorism does work, so you have a situation where the uk says it has a zero-tolerance poliicy on terrorism, at the same time working with people they've deemed terrorists since the 20's.

also, many people, both irish and british benefit from the region being unstable. I can't be arsed to go into details. but there's a lot of money to be made in northern ireland, while it's a disputed territory.

there's a major issue with how they deal with terrorism, actively participating in a re-unification of ireland is essentially saying terrorism does work... people they've deemed terrorists since the 20's.

Look, it's VERY quiet on the terror tip these days... I know the British won't easily forget the car bombs in major locations but, honestly, the world did not reply to Trafalgar bombings the way they responded to the 7/7 'misfire'... Face it, terror is now owned by the Muslims (justifiably or not).. The 'troubles' are an entirely seperate issue and everyone realizes that. Of course there are grudges and animositiy but with the disarmament (real or not) and the willingness of the Gerry and those pussies in the Sinn Fein to form up a political wing... NI has taken on a completely different aspect.

I would DEFINATELY compare the IRA campaign in 1988 to the current (and then as well) situation in Palestine but today it simply isn't valid. Mass bombings have given over to individual murders AND, more importantly, the IRA doesn't want to do anything super overt these days in fear of being equated with the Muslim extremists. It's just not 'fashionable'.

I mean seriously, twenty years ago the exposure of Scappaticci would have led to some heinous retaliation... plus the Provos are hardly anything on the world stage anymore, so what, we're worried about knife fights and individual shootings during the Orange parade?

Not that the battle has lost it's venom but conciliation is the tone of the day.

I hope when you say "20's" that you mean 1520's because that's how far back my memory goes. I know and embrace Red Hugh's struggle.

Ireland is an elephant, it doesn't forget... however, it does adapt and now is the time for adaptation.

We will win. This is not a rebel song, this is Sunday Bloody Sunday.

• Like 2

• 4 years later...

haha i just neg'd you for a misinterpretation....sorry man I will get you back with a posi

there has been quite a bit of news recently, especially considering the queens visit to Eire.

Obama's as well.

Also there has been quite a bit of chatter coming from the RIRA and the 32CSM.

Seriously?

what a stupid thing to say, think before you open your mouth. i dont have a problem with you wanting a united ireland at all but saying up the ira is extremely disrespectful to the people who lost their lives during the troubles. me and im sure many other people on this site lost family members and, unlike you americans who believe all the bullshit your fed about the ira being freedom fighters find that pretty disgusting. i cant believe i was actually having a civilised conversation with you about this the other day. your not irish, your not a republican, stop supporting the ira

here are some informational videos about your "heroes" you may enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idaVJSr-aCI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCLCS-MVPzc&feature=related

^this girl was actually a very good friend of my mums and they went to nursing school together

next time think before you speak mate. do you really support the ira or do you support the fucking fairytale your bullshit media feeds you? think about it

UP THE TALIBAN, 9/11 LOL etc. etc.

haha i just neg'd you for a misinterpretation....sorry man I will get you back with a posi

there has been quite a bit of news recently, especially considering the queens visit to Eire.

Obama's as well.

Also there has been quite a bit of chatter coming from the RIRA and the 32CSM.

no way do i stand by what lennon said.

i seen the red tick taks today i was like noooo1!! lol

its coo, its just 12oz lol:cool:

Seriously?

what a stupid thing to say, think before you open your mouth. i dont have a problem with you wanting a united ireland at all but saying up the ira is extremely disrespectful to the people who lost their lives during the troubles. me and im sure many other people on this site lost family members and, unlike you americans who believe all the bullshit your fed about the ira being freedom fighters find that pretty disgusting. i cant believe i was actually having a civilised conversation with you about this the other day. your not irish, your not a republican, stop supporting the ira

here are some informational videos about your "heroes" you may enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idaVJSr-aCI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCLCS-MVPzc&feature=related

^this girl was actually a very good friend of my mums and they went to nursing school together

next time think before you speak mate. do you really support the ira or do you support the fucking fairytale your bullshit media feeds you? think about it

UP THE TALIBAN, 9/11 LOL etc. etc.

First of all saying up the Taliban and 9/11 dosent hurt my feelings, even though more people died in that than did in the troubles you idiot.

Second of all ill say what I fucking want to, get over it. Im not Irish, I am American but ive read a great deal upon the matter and done research from all aspects and have formed my opinion.

Youve already stated youre a pussy unionist, and just to let you know mate the unionist and loyalist killed more civillians than the IRA ever did, sorry to break the news to you.

The RUC and British military also murdered dozens if not hundreds of innocent catholic and protestant civillains and assited the terror groups of the VF, and UDA which im sure you have a boner for.

Again, id never support the killing of innocent people, but open your eyes man your people killed just as many other peoples friends and family members and actually more.

Im glad we could have a civilized conversation, but if one statement is going to offend you to were you dont want to speak to me, ask me if I give a fuck.

And even though im not Irish I have family who have lost people in the troubles, due to my British ancestory. And guess who killed their people? The loyalist terrorist that were supproted by the police and British Imperalist that you so die hard support.

All that said, im sorry about your friend and anyone who have lost their lives innocently for the war in NI.

Dont take any of that personal mate, even though you probably will.

Personally, I think the Irish would be fucked if they weren't part of Great Brittan, especially now the way their economy is.

I can't think of one legitimate reason (other than some touted philosophical stretch) why they should be completely independent.

I also think there isn't any reason they really shouldn't be allowed to secede from Great Britain either.

The fact that there are numerous butt hurt individuals willing to blow up/kill innocent people over this today is almost inconceivable.

I just don't see where GB is actually hurting them by "occupying" them or any reason the violence is warranted.

It would be like me being mad the Federal Government "controls" New York State, or being mad New York State "controls" the city.

Sure I could point to examples where it's not benefiting me, but I'm not going to sabotage an FBI office.

I guess it's not that black and white either but I just don't see their cause as being based on a rational political platform so much as an ingrained hatred.

I'm sure you could point to examples where being part of GB sucks for them, or point to examples of the benefits of being part of GB also.

There are some minor changes taking place here and I don't see that really changing anything, the problem here isn't political, it's hate.

First of all saying up the Taliban and 9/11 dosent hurt my feelings, even though more people died in that than did in the troubles you idiot.

Second of all ill say what I fucking want to, get over it. Im not Irish, I am American but ive read a great deal upon the matter and done research from all aspects and have formed my opinion.

Youve already stated youre a pussy unionist, and just to let you know mate the unionist and loyalist killed more civillians than the IRA ever did, sorry to break the news to you.

The RUC and British military also murdered dozens if not hundreds of innocent catholic and protestant civillains and assited the terror groups of the VF, and UDA which im sure you have a boner for.

Again, id never support the killing of innocent people, but open your eyes man your people killed just as many other peoples friends and family members and actually more.

Im glad we could have a civilized conversation, but if one statement is going to offend you to were you dont want to speak to me, ask me if I give a fuck.

And even though im not Irish I have family who have lost people in the troubles, due to my British ancestory. And guess who killed their people? The loyalist terrorist that were supproted by the police and British Imperalist that you so die hard support.

All that said, im sorry about your friend and anyone who have lost their lives innocently for the war in NI.

Dont take any of that personal mate, even though you probably will.

no i didnt take any of it personally. and let me set this straight, i said i was a unionist. do you know what that means? it means i vote for a party that wants to maintain the union between great britain and northern ireland. it doesnt mean i support any loyalist paramilitaries. unionists killed absolutely no-one during the troubles, same with nationalists. i suggest you find out the difference between loyalist and unionist and nationalist and republican. and i completely agree that the british army were wrong in many cases, but it has never been proven that the british government assisted the uda/uvf, although certain members within the ruc may have though.

also, how can you say up the ira but call the uvf and uda terror groups? surely theyre no worse than the ira? both organisations were formed to protect loyalist areas from the republicans that were burning them out of their homes. one is as bad as the other. try reading what ive said twice this time and you might understand it

no i didnt take any of it personally. and let me set this straight, i said i was a unionist. do you know what that means? it means i vote for a party that wants to maintain the union between great britain and northern ireland. it doesnt mean i support any loyalist paramilitaries. unionists killed absolutely no-one during the troubles, same with nationalists. i suggest you find out the difference between loyalist and unionist and nationalist and republican. and i completely agree that the british army were wrong in many cases, but it has never been proven that the british government assisted the uda/uvf, although certain members within the ruc may have though.

also, how can you say up the ira but call the uvf and uda terror groups? surely theyre no worse than the ira? both organisations were formed to protect loyalist areas from the republicans that were burning them out of their homes. one is as bad as the other. try reading what ive said twice this time and you might understand it

You can keep trying to insult my intelligence, but it is you sir that dont know what the fuck you are talking about.

Yes you said you were a unionist and I agree that, that statement dosent make you a loyalist even though you vote to support a union between your country being run in the North by the British empire and support it farming its people into your country in order to maintain its rule. I know the diffrence smartass between a Nationalist and a Republican, as well as Unionist and a Loyalist, but to say that in many cases they dont go hand in hand is retarded.

There are many accounts of British army officials and officers confirming they were involved with organizations like the UDA and UVF, both logistics support, intelligence and even membership. The UDA and UVF may have been created to protect unionist and loyalist but they clearly targeted civillains much more so than the IRA. The civillian casualties that were caused by each side in every record I have ever read puts the loyalist paramilitaries at a much much higher number than the Provos. I could never and will never support anyone or any organization I thought had intentions to harm innocent people.

It can be argued that its a paradox to support one and condenm the other, but thats just how it is. in my eyes I see the Provos as freedom fighters, who along the way did commit acts of terror and ultimatly caused civillain deaths, but for the duration of the fighting I feel like they have truley fought for what they believe in. I believe they fight for a united Ireland and dont wish to kill any civillain lives than can be avoided at the cost of war. War is hell, people do die, and unfortuantly as it has been seen in history it is sometimes the only way as much as it is pointless at times.

Look at the policemen who shoot unarmed people, look at the British soilders who wage wars and have along side Americans killed hundred of thousands of Civillains in the middle east? The IRA civillain casualties on no account exceed hundreds of people, which is still awful, but more people are killed in a day by British forces than the provos have ever killed.

So you can continue to be a pussy Unionist and support part of your country being run by an Evil empire, its you that has to live there not me. i cant tell you whats best for your life, your people, or your country. I can however support the views and the fight of those who feel that their homeland, is their homeland and that theyre are still things worth fighting, and dying for.

Personally, I think the Irish would be fucked if they weren't part of Great Brittan, especially now the way their economy is.

I can't think of one legitimate reason (other than some touted philosophical stretch) why they should be completely independent.

I also think there isn't any reason they really shouldn't be allowed to secede from Great Britain either.

The fact that there are numerous butt hurt individuals willing to blow up/kill innocent people over this today is almost inconceivable.

I just don't see where GB is actually hurting them by "occupying" them or any reason the violence is warranted.

It would be like me being mad the Federal Government "controls" New York State, or being mad New York State "controls" the city.

Sure I could point to examples where it's not benefiting me, but I'm not going to sabotage an FBI office.

I guess it's not that black and white either but I just don't see their cause as being based on a rational political platform so much as an ingrained hatred.

I'm sure you could point to examples where being part of GB sucks for them, or point to examples of the benefits of being part of GB also.

There are some minor changes taking place here and I don't see that really changing anything, the problem here isn't political, it's hate.

You could be right about them being totally fucked without GB, but at the same time how fucked would the USA be without China? Just becuse without them our country would be in an even shittier situation, dosent mean id be in support of giving them California, Oregon and Washington state in order for the country to be somewhat stable but still in shit shape.

Im obviously not Irish so I cant speak politically why theyd want to secede other than they believe they are being occupied. Every other country that has ever been under British rule has been granted its independence and hasnt collasped either, so why not give it a shot.

Alot of it probably and actually certainly is hatred but how could you really blame them? After 100s of years of fighting can you really just give it up? I hate to see innocent people die but when people mention the numbers of those killed I cant help but to feel sick how it pails in comparision to how many innocent people the British(as well as American) have killed in their wars around the world.

People get so up and arms over a few hundred people, but then read a newspaper about how the SAS or CIA dropped a bomb in libya blowing a hundred people to dogmeat and not bat an eyelash.

I never condone innocent people being killed, but people need to wake teh fuck up and see what else is going on while they condemn the IRA when their own goverment is pileing bodies up around the world.

Fuck it, if they want their country back and enough of them do give it to them. if they collaspe then I suppose they know who to blame and can beg the British back. But India never looked back, and neither did any other colony that was ever once dependent on British rule.

im not even going to argue with you. your minds made up

the only thing i will say is that your facts about the provos killing less civilians that the uda and uvf is bullshit. the pira killed roughly the same amount of civilians as the uda and uvf put together. when you count the inla, oira, cira, rira then republican paramilitaries have killed more civilians than loyalists, not that it makes a difference. and your still speaking as if i support loyalist paramilitaries

im done here

My mind is not made up, ive read every word you have written and taken it into account.

We just dont agree and both have strong opinions of the matter.

Im just telling you what ive read, seen, and been told. If the numbers are wrong, then they are wrong and I dont know what im talking about.

Never said you supported paramilitaries, I just cannot stand when someone damns one side, and has nothing to say of the other.

If youre done thats fine, the discussions ends here.