HUMMER VS. SCHOOLBUS

lord_casek

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a cyclist... I'm constantly on the road for hours. I'm in battle from the minute I leave my doorstep till the minute I return with people on their mobile phones and people in huge trucks / SUV's or Hummers. Sometimes, if I'm lucky, I get to deal with someone driving an SUV while talking on the mobile. It's going to take a huge tragic death for any kind of law to pass here regarding talking on your mobile phone while driving.

I will admit that I thoroughly enjoy blasting my horn at someone driving like an idiot while on the phone. Nine times out of ten it freaks them the fuck out. It may cause them to swerve, and could cause an accident, but if it did I would hope that would be a wake up call. Probably not.

The few times I've driven in Europe it's very obvious that there is a respect for the road and your fellow drivers. It was refreshing.

I have only ever seen 2 Hummers on the road in Perth.

They don't really belong on the road, as they are wayyyy too big and I can't imagine parking one here, as I have enough trouble parking my standard sedan.

Those F-trucks are also another hated model of car of mine. They don't belong on roads either (and yes I have had the displeasure of driving one)

the only hummer i've seen in Australia was at Sydney Airport and it was parked in a disabled spot

It was so atrocious I took a photo, but I'll let your imagine it, rather then posting it

fuck anyone who drives in such a way that they rear end someone

fuck tailgating

nothing is more infuriating

anyone who tail gates I automatically judge to be incredibly unintelligent

Guest R@ndomH3ro
a guy i know in australia had a land rover and that thing used to overheat like crazy. couldn't handle the heat. i don't know what newer models are like, but i don't think the model he had was road tested outside of england

Dude. I thought Landrovers where the thing in Australia..

Even Steve Irwin had one..

Every time you see nature safari get runnded over by rhinos they are in a land rover. Kind of like this

Picture_050.jpg

I guess not.

The new ones suck, Toyota bought them out and took the big game hunting out of them and made them cars that spoiled 16 year olds drive.

hating 4x4 is so trendy now but what about all the sport cars, limousines etc which also waste a lot of gasoline?

i mean, i don't specially appreciate suv's and other huge cars but those who drive such cars pay for the gallons of gas and expensive taxes they can't park easily so they punish themselves.

the number of young people who reacts like old frustrated grannies really scares me more than hummers and others.

EGG...

Limousines aren't as wide spread as a Hummer, SUV or the big ass truck. Sure, every city probably has a handful of companies you can rent them from but even still... their numbers are far less than any of the vehicles we're bitching about. It doesn't mean they should be on the road either though.

Sports cars are plentiful in the states. However, they aren't as much of a nuasance as the above mentioned vehicles. Yes, they do waste gas like the others but at least I can see over and around them when I'm driving. Sports cars and Hummers/ SUV's and oversized trucks kind of fall in the same category... eyesores for the sake of flash. I know some trucks are utilitarian and are actually being used for their intended purpose, but I'm sure if you did some odd survey you'd find that at least eight out of ten are owned for the sake of owning a truck because Billy-Bob has one and hims is good people.

Hybrid cars are certainly our present hope. There's definitely better options out there being developed and improved upon everyday but with our current governments the way they are... it could be years upon years before we see them as production models. At least with a Hybrid you're doing your part to help out right now.

I could go one but super long posts are always boring to read...

thanks for answering my post joker

i share globally your point of view, i don't live in the USA so i can't speak about what's going on there. but in some countries where the proportion of big suv on the roads are not so important a bunch of greens want to forbid every 4x4 even the daihatsu micro ones (for example) only because they think they know what's good for everybody, and that's what really pissed me off, cause for me a constructive way of making people changing their bad habits is not to only forbidden, they must use incentive measures such as low price for public transportation etc

The few times I've driven in Europe it's very obvious that there is a respect for the road and your fellow drivers. It was refreshing.

but it gets ridiculous in some eastern countries: 5 cars in a row overtaking at the same time, with oncoming traffic going half-off road to avoid head on collision. they're so respectful that they basically create extra lanes.

This happened in estonia

I hate the mother fuckers who tailgate me at say 85, then decide they want to go around just to get in front of me cuz god fucking knows the 373 horses i have under my hood will smoke the shit out of their beamer or what ever over priced overrated piece of shit they drive. especially when its some whitewashed, streaky haired little asian rich bitch on her cell phone.

Fuck Hummers and fuck driving in Boston. Whoever said that SUVs would have trouble if they made the speed limit 85 MPH is retarded because SUVs and pick-up trucks are the cars I most often see flying past me on the highway when I'm doing 75-80.

I parked next to a Hummer a while ago that was taking up two spots and I just unscrewed the gas tank, since there's not even a little door to cover it (I guess how much gas a Hummer wastes is now a matter of pride). I should do it more often. Not actually do something stupid like put shit in there, but just unscrew it to make the owner think "oh man, somebody is trying to prove a point that my car is a worthless hunk of gas-guzzling junk by doing something to my gas tank". I dunno, though, if I ever found my car with the gas tank open I'd probably shit a paranoia brick.

The way that bus demolished that hummer is awesome, it reminds me of when my dad was telling me about the big body Caddillacs from a while back that were built like tanks and how they would demolish little sports cars and not have a scratch on them

Fuck Hummers and fuck driving in Boston. Whoever said that SUVs would have trouble if they made the speed limit 85 MPH is retarded because SUVs and pick-up trucks are the cars I most often see flying past me on the highway when I'm doing 75-80.

I parked next to a Hummer a while ago that was taking up two spots and I just unscrewed the gas tank, since there's not even a little door to cover it (I guess how much gas a Hummer wastes is now a matter of pride). I should do it more often. Not actually do something stupid like put shit in there, but just unscrew it to make the owner think "oh man, somebody is trying to prove a point that my car is a worthless hunk of gas-guzzling junk by doing something to my gas tank". I dunno, though, if I ever found my car with the gas tank open I'd probably shit a paranoia brick.

it will also make the already gas guzzler lose mpg. evpartion(sp) can cause up to a loss of 2 mpg on some autos.

whoever came up with the on/off ramp system on american freeways should be shot. they're inefficient and dangerous. if you were to use a freeway in australia you'd be suprised at not only how safe/easy it is to use, but how much more courteous people are.

oh, and you'll be amazed to see people actually respect the speed limit and road rules!

you need to come to the east coast, the roads are much more poorly designed(and older and falling apart) and the drivers are much worse and more belligerent.