So I went somewhere awesome (pics!)...

*PROTOCOL*

So I just got back from going inside one of the largest geodesic domes in america and decided I'd share my story with the folks of channel zero. I have always loved going into abandoned places, sewers etc etc.. but this place was definately one of the neatest. This particular place was used to service and paint railcars, so I thought it might be of some interest to people on here. To save a bunch of typing, here is a link with a little background info.

http://www.bestofneworleans.com/dispatch/2001-03-06/cover_story.html

*note. contrary to what the article says, the gates are not wide open. The property is surrounded by a barbed wire fence and the actual structure surroundedwith razor wire.

View from afar: (this is where security would later be waiting)

DSC01169.jpg

Getting closer:

DSC01172.jpg

DSC01178.jpg

DSC01175.jpg

Entry point:

DSC01173.jpg

Inside:

DSC01180.jpg

Here is a tower in the center:

DSC01179.jpg

I think this is where trains would enter:

DSC01181.jpg

DSC01182.jpg

DSC01183.jpg

DSC01184.jpg

View from first tier of center:

DSC01186.jpg

View from ladder: There were alot of bats and it smelled like really strong urine. I'm assuming it was guano.

DSC01187.jpg

View frm tower:

DSC01188.jpg

Upon leaving, I saw a truck and railroad security hanging out by entrance, so naturally I ran and jumped the barbwire and trekked through thick vegetation.

Haters trying to catch me ridin' dirty:

DSC01190.jpg

Running through the woods I found a pheasant hunting shack and a bbq??

DSC01192.jpg

My legs:

DSC01193.jpg

Funnest day I've had in a while. These photos really don't do this place justice. I've been to many places like this, but this one was so massively huge inside it almost made me sick to look up at the ceiling. Enjoy.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
i tried to find it on google earth.. no dice. the articles description of the location was too sketchy. and im not at all familiar with the boot

you'd think it would be easy to find since apparently whenever you fly over the only things you notice are the LSU stadium then this. Im starting my search from LSU.

That's weird, New Orleans is also home to the largest free standing/self supporting concrete dome in the world. The Macallister auditorium at Tulane holds this record (or at least that's what they told me when I was a freshman).

-fuse.

p.s. Awesome pics. Looks like fun. How did you get over the razor wire?