Canvas Techniques Thread

Vivre

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

OK you take the cap off the spray paint can

spray some paint in it

look for were the holes are on the sides where it clips on the the can

you tilt it over your canvas

it drops and gives a splattery bloodish effect.

you should just play with the stuff you have and see what happens use differnt things like paper,markers,differnt caps,positon of canvas it will all give you differnt effects

• 1 month later...

SHUT-THE-FUCK-UP!

I garantee the moderator and lionheart have been around way longer than you. If you have been around for a good time, you would already know how to do canvas shit, and how fucking whack it is.

Seeking is right. Graffiti is illegal vandalism. Painting a canvas isn't illegal and isn't graffiti, just the style of it. It's fucking stupid anyways. Why waste paint on a canvas when you can do it on a wall for everyone to see?

Real writers will go out and paint there city, not a canvas in their bedroom.

granted, the moderators might have been around for a while, but i dont necessaryily agree with seeking here.

most writers at some point have rocked a "graff" canvas. whether its to get a quick 30quid from someone, one for a girlfriend etc.

im building a collection of canvases from my mates, and some of them are "graff" ones, some arent. they are all still up on my wall though.

true, it might not sell anymore, or be the "cool" trend but personal opinion is still personal opinion.

and when were we supposed to give a flying fuck about trends and such like?

SHUT-THE-FUCK-UP!

I garantee the moderator and lionheart have been around way longer than you. If you have been around for a good time, you would already know how to do canvas shit, and how fucking whack it is.

Seeking is right. Graffiti is illegal vandalism. Painting a canvas isn't illegal and isn't graffiti, just the style of it. It's fucking stupid anyways. Why waste paint on a canvas when you can do it on a wall for everyone to see?

Real writers will go out and paint there city, not a canvas in their bedroom.

Opinion stated.

Is it me, or do I always see it that it is the more dedicated bombers who are the ones who oppose the use of canvas. Let alone how alot are seemingly violent in nature. Just an observation though. Would you say, that rockin' pieces in blackbooks, wouldn't be considered graff? Oh, I certainly doubt that any government authority could put you behind bars because you would hit a few throwups on numerous pieces of paper. I have painted illegaly, and I have also painted canvas. I don't see the real difference. (figurativly speaking) Just too many seem to struggle with the decision to stay orthodox, or bend the rules a little bit.

^^^^ i think its you! there is a difference. Movies made for the big screen are different once they get to TV.

the difference in perception between paper and canvas is that many people seem to think that just because you commit some media to a canvas you've made art, or that just because you've sprayed some paint on a wall you are a writer, it is not art and you are not a writer.

the difference is in the intent and an understanding of the limitations implicit in your chosen medium. Slapping some letters on a canvas with out the knowledge of the history of the canvas as a display mechanism is useless for 99% of people( the one percent are those born with immense natural talent).

What is the the purpose of slapping graffiti on canvas? fame? to exhibit your talent? if its the latter then you are competing with some very sophisticated and well educated and practiced artisans. People who have studied the history of painting, of art in general, color theory, perspective, light and shadow, and have an extreme knowledge and understanding of a vast array of materials.

In terms of being orthodox or not, this only works when you have thorough understanding of the rules that apply to what your doing. One must learn the rules to appropriately break them.

I for one will forever choose paper over canvas because i like the way it handles the mediums i like to use better then canvas. the point to me is its not the display mechanism its the work there of. Anything can be and has been used to make marks on, but in the end its the mark that make the piece successful or just another piece of trash.

i say do what you do

personally i think the whole point of graffiti is its there for everyone to see. even pieces in blackbooks get passed around and shit but i dont see the point of blowin up on someone just cause they do what they do

graffiti on a wall is graffiti. graffiti on canvas is post-graffiti. Graffiti is looked down upon in our society, but post graffiti is accepted everywhere. U see post graffiti everywhere now a day like in advertising and media so i say keep on with the graffiti on canvas. It may not be accepted by hard core writters, but who gives a flyin fuck! are u gunna let l the hard core writters in the world tell u where when and how to paint. fuck that, be an individual and think and do for yourself.

^^^^ i think its you! there is a difference. Movies made for the big screen are different once they get to TV.

the difference in perception between paper and canvas is that many people seem to think that just because you commit some media to a canvas you've made art, or that just because you've sprayed some paint on a wall you are a writer, it is not art and you are not a writer.

the difference is in the intent and an understanding of the limitations implicit in your chosen medium. Slapping some letters on a canvas with out the knowledge of the history of the canvas as a display mechanism is useless for 99% of people( the one percent are those born with immense natural talent).

What is the the purpose of slapping graffiti on canvas? fame? to exhibit your talent? if its the latter then you are competing with some very sophisticated and well educated and practiced artisans. People who have studied the history of painting, of art in general, color theory, perspective, light and shadow, and have an extreme knowledge and understanding of a vast array of materials.

In terms of being orthodox or not, this only works when you have thorough understanding of the rules that apply to what your doing. One must learn the rules to appropriately break them.

I for one will forever choose paper over canvas because i like the way it handles the mediums i like to use better then canvas. the point to me is its not the display mechanism its the work there of. Anything can be and has been used to make marks on, but in the end its the mark that make the piece successful or just another piece of trash.

I applaude your well thought out and written post. I'm not very sure that the movie/television comparison can be as relative as to the point i'm trying to make regarding canvases and their applications, I for one have equal love to each and every medium and surface applied to. But thats besides the point. (A better comparison would be weather a Bboy can exibit his skills in an all out competition between another rival crew/solo, or exibit his talent in a show (with an ignorant crowd) for prize money and and still pull off the respect of the Bboy community. (You can think Salah from France))

What the actual point i'm trying to make, is that (in my opinion and experience) one simply cannot cross his/her hands and shake his head in severe defiance to simply say that he must stay an orthodox writer/bomber/artist (whatever the terminology has become in the writer realm, I do not know anymore) and accept weather the implication of graffiti on canvas for whatever purpose would be considered feasable for the advancement of graffiti as an entire movement, or utterly an abortive assertion of ones talent/skill to spell out a statement that will only reach to deaf ears. I will get more into it, but i'm at school and the bell has rung.