Wearing your countrys colors = Wrong ?!

Bobbygreen

Hey hey..

I dont know how it is in all other countrys around this planet (plz fill in if u got someting to say about this).

For me its a joke, but some people take it realy serious..:S Here in sweden there been a stupid debate about if its right och wrong to have T-shirts with swedish colors or symbols like the swedish flag on your jacket. Becous it can look like your a rasist (rasism)..

Some time ago a kid hade a swedish flag with him to school.. just because his swedish and he like the flag , as any other kid in this world would be about her or his homeland.

Yea what happend to this kid? The teachers took the flag from him. Just fucked up.

Swedish people are so afraid to do something wrong, to that extent that we are scared to be swedish.. Do someome else have this kind of "problem" ?

Why are we so afraid (in general all over this world) ?

Dunno if this is the right place to place this thread , if not ... move it plz

Sry if my english sucks something...oh wait.. why would i be sry for that ? Im not english so why do i need to speak exelent english? If any of u come her, do u guys excuse your self because your swedish sucks?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Well, were are this world going, y cant i go around and yell my countrys name downtown without people getting angry at me for being a rasist.. :S It just wrong.

Its one thing to wear something because u wanna send a messege to people u dont like, but to be expeleld from school becouse u have a Blue and Yellow t-shirt aint right..

Are there any sulotion to this?

in australia, there is a current debate about this as well. this recent focus on the issue of the flag and patriotism etc became a big issue after the cronulla race riots in 2005. when hundreds of white guys roamed the streets dressed in the colours of the australian flag, beating the shit out of non whites.

that is when the australian flag started to look a pretty shitty and defiled for a lot of people. i wouldn't want to wear an australian flag because of what these fuckwits made it represent.

Im australian and there is no fucking way id wear an australian flag on any of my clothing. wearing your country's flag or carrying it around shouldn't be banned, it just makes you look like a fucking dipshit. People that need to rock a flag to make themselves feel liek they're part of something are just losers with no self esteem.

Just unintelligent people who have probably never even been to another country but like to tell everyone how much better their own one is.

"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel"

Im australian and there is no fucking way id wear an australian flag on any of my clothing. wearing your country's flag or carrying it around shouldn't be banned, it just makes you look like a fucking dipshit. People that need to rock a flag to make themselves feel liek they're part of something are just losers with no self esteem.

Just unintelligent people who have probably never even been to another country but like to tell everyone how much better their own one is.

"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel"

i think you are right and wrong. wearing your flag on a jacket or something seems to be more of a redneck type american thing. i hear that there are "rednecks" i aussie-land, too.

certainly not the same as here..../sarcasm.

as for your quote, i don't agree with that at all. patriotism is being proud of your country. being able and willing to stand up and defend it to the very end, even if that means your certain end. i don't think that wearing your flag makes you more or less patriotic, but i do think it makes you look rather silly.

Yeah i don't believe in 'defending my country to the very end'.

what makes you think you should defend America to the very end? the fact that the country was founded on genocide? the fact that its industry was founded on slave labour? the fact that half of it was subsequently stolen from Mexico in a war of aggression? The fact that America is the single largest threat to global security in the world today? the fact that America pollutes more than any other country in the world? etc. etc.

what makes you think you should defend America to the very end? the fact that the country was founded on genocide? the fact that its industry was founded on slave labour? the fact that half of it was subsequently stolen from Mexico in a war of aggression? The fact that America is the single largest threat to global security in the world today? the fact that America pollutes more than any other country in the world? etc. etc.

dude you are a lil of on some of your assumptions made about america.you come from a county found be the same country, england. yes mexico lost lands to america in a war that stated over texas.which texas. texas left the rule of mexico.http://www.nps.gov/archive/fosc/mexican.htm. so texas was not always a part of mexico.plus americas size more than doubled by the louisianna purchase land bought from the french. http://www.gatewayno.com/history/LaPurchase.htmland the purcahse of alaska from russia. alaska by itself i almost a third the size of the lower 48.slave lab ourr was world wide not just in america so you cant blame all america indusrtyts on the slave trade. blame the country that did more slave trading than america. we had a revoultion for a reason and with in less than a hundred years slavery was out lawed.yes america may have not the right thing but you cant lay the blame soley on america for all the worlds trobules

I don't at all man. not even in the slightest. I was just pointing out some facts about the country's history that demonstrate that it's not better than any other country and shouldn't be revered at all, especially not to the point of "defending it to the very end". I'm against that kind of view in relation to any country just got stuck into America because it was where the dude i was having a discussion with was from.

on a side note I believe California as well as some other state/s in that area were taken over from Mexico by America as a result of their war, not just Texas.

this very flag wearing subject was a big debate in the US history. alot argued that it was in bad taste to wear flag emblems, stickers, etc. and that it was disrespect. the flag wearing proponents obviously won. it was argued taht americans up to TR would of outright rejected wearing a flag on you or on your vehicle, etc.

then again it was the common notion in the mid 19th century and before that your 'country' was your state. the united states was not just a singular country name, it was used in the plural like...'these united states.' the flag was a symbol of the federal government, not of the american people and generally didnt trump the state flags until after the civil war.

so to me, flying a US flag in your front lawn is cool, if it is a symbol of the american people, but it isnt necessarily, it just as easily be a sign of the federal government.

same with the pledge, it is a pledge to the government, but i tend to think of it more of a tradition than anything else.

i'd rather fly my state flag high, the US flag underneath.

this recognizes jeffersons belief that the states were the bulkwark against federal tyranny.

the 'patriotism' that most exhibit in fliying the american flag isnt patriotism (a dedication to ones people and area) but it is outright nationalism.

I don't at all man. not even in the slightest. I was just pointing out some facts about the country's history that demonstrate that it's not better than any other country and shouldn't be revered at all, especially not to the point of "defending it to the very end". I'm against that kind of view in relation to any country just got stuck into America because it was where the dude i was having a discussion with was from.

on a side note I believe California as well as some other state/s in that area were taken over from Mexico by America as a result of their war, not just Texas.

america is as good as bad as any other country. i love where i live yet dont always agree with what we do. i dont own a american flag or a flag of the state i currently live in. not a flag person.

southern califorina was more in tone with mexico but i think the whole sout west us would of went towards america anyway. at the time the mexican goverment was maybe 20 to 30 yrs old. mexico and spain war of 1810 to like 1821. so even the mexican gov was still younmg and snot sure how to run a very large are not close to the capital with little resoures(SP)

this very flag wearing subject was a big debate in the US history. alot argued that it was in bad taste to wear flag emblems, stickers, etc. and that it was disrespect. the flag wearing proponents obviously won. it was argued taht americans up to TR would of outright rejected wearing a flag on you or on your vehicle, etc.

then again it was the common notion in the mid 19th century and before that your 'country' was your state. the united states was not just a singular country name, it was used in the plural like...'these united states.' the flag was a symbol of the federal government, not of the american people and generally didnt trump the state flags until after the civil war.

so to me, flying a US flag in your front lawn is cool, if it is a symbol of the american people, but it isnt necessarily, it just as easily be a sign of the federal government.

same with the pledge, it is a pledge to the government, but i tend to think of it more of a tradition than anything else.

i'd rather fly my state flag high, the US flag underneath.

this recognizes jeffersons belief that the states were the bulkwark against federal tyranny.

the 'patriotism' that most exhibit in fliying the american flag isnt patriotism (a dedication to ones people and area) but it is outright nationalism.

i want to say up till the civil war it was that way. money was simmilaer but diffrenty from state to state. after the civil war is when the fed gov had more power then state.

Governments come and go. The constitution changes. Countries prosper. Countries fall. But one thing will never change. People fight and die for their family and friends. They draw a line and make a stand.

To say that this country was originally founded on Genocide is a bit of a stretch.

China is the single biggest polluter.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey hey..

I dont know how it is in all other countrys around this planet (plz fill in if u got someting to say about this).

For me its a joke, but some people take it realy serious..:S Here in sweden there been a stupid debate about if its right och wrong to have T-shirts with swedish colors or symbols like the swedish flag on your jacket. Becous it can look like your a rasist (rasism)..

Some time ago a kid hade a swedish flag with him to school.. just because his swedish and he like the flag , as any other kid in this world would be about her or his homeland.

Yea what happend to this kid? The teachers took the flag from him. Just fucked up.

Swedish people are so afraid to do something wrong, to that extent that we are scared to be swedish.. Do someome else have this kind of "problem" ?

Why are we so afraid (in general all over this world) ?

Dunno if this is the right place to place this thread , if not ... move it plz

Sry if my english sucks something...oh wait.. why would i be sry for that ? Im not english so why do i need to speak exelent english? If any of u come her, do u guys excuse your self because your swedish sucks?

hahahhaaha

When they started America they made some laws. The laws are still on the book but unenforced. They did pop up a few years back during the flag burning controversy but everyone focused on the section about burning... The LAW in America says that it is wrong and disrespectful to wear clothing fashioned after/with the flag. Things like patches have traditionally been the acceptable way to display the flag on a piece of clothing. Somewhere around 1969 the Hippies correctly deduced that they were being defined as second class citizens. This wasn't so hard for them to figure out as they were largely upper crust college students. Anyway, they all decided to 'wrap themselves in the flag' to show that their opposition of the Vietnam war wasn't opposition to America (though there was a fair amount of communism running around the hippie community). I think this resulted in a backlash from the conservative side, like 'this is how you SHOULD wear the flag as fashion' and ever since the flag has been fair game for clothing designers.

I tend to agree with our founding fathers and believe that wearing your flag about in an ostentatious manner is uncouth and disrespectful of the national symbol. I don't think it's rascism but I think it's nationalism/fascism... Of course that's not entirely a bad thing. Patriotism is just fine, it's when you become fanatically patriotic...

All this applies as well to the 'confedrate flag' debate now occuring in America. Case specific I think that the Confederated states LOST a war nearly 150 years ago so, it's a bit of a moot point. However, being of Irish heritage, I deeply understand the idea of holding on to ancient defeats. I don't particularly understand why the legacy of these events should be silk screened onto the ass of a pair of girl's shorts... but then I'm a little fuzzy about why girls wear clothes anyway... I mean, if I was founding a country and making some laws...

Anyway...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

it's cool to be proud of where you come from, but when you start flying flags and getting overly patriotic....i love my country, i love (some) of the people, i don't love the government. and after all, whose flag is it really?

fuck nationalism, fuck patriotism. unless sports are involved, then everything is different!

what kind of person to society would be a person with NO pride at all?

any thoughs on this?

it could be an individual who can treat others equally without being condescending. In societal they could be a leader who admits when they make mistakes and engage in domestic and foreign policy that is in the best interests of the people rather than in the interests of how tough their country looks. they wouldnt rest on their laurels but would always strive to do better...